Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waymo famously "ordered" 62k Pacificas and 20k iPaces a few years ago. At some point they'll go to a cost-optimized custom vehicle, like the Cruise and Zoox designs. When we discussed this earlier I forgot that Magna owns part of Waymo and also builds the iPace. Interesting....
I still find it somewhat difficult to believe that people will lease those cars with lots of stuff on top instead of a normal looking Tesla (assuming both are available).

To compete with Tesla on cost - they will have to get a cheapo car made by GM or someone like that.

In anycase, as I've always said, there is space for a lot of players. Nobody is going to have any kind of monopoly in this huge market. Governments everywhere won't tolerate that.

Or a county ... or metro ... in arid, sunny AZ. Is there any other place that is more ideal ?

Atleast, Cuise is trying out in SFO.

Waymo also has testing in SF. Waymo is testing in 25 cities. By testing I mean they have cars driving fully autonomously but with safety drivers and not open to public rides yet.

Waymo has been testing it's cars for several years now. But they still can't navigate an entire state autonomously

This is false. Last year, they reported over 1M autonomous miles in CA which last time I checked was a different State than Phoenix. Waymo has autonomous driving that works in 25 cities in the US. We know this because they have test vehicles driving autonomously with safety drivers in those 25 cities. Phoenix is just the place where they have launched their first commercial service to the public.

Why do people keep being confused by this? A commercial service will not necessarily represent the entire area where your autonomous driving can work.

Last edited:
Waymo also has testing in SF. Waymo is testing in 25 cities. By testing I mean they have cars driving fully autonomously but with safety drivers and not open to public rides yet.
This only holds true until Cruise starts offering rides to public in SF. IIRC, they are close to doing that - unlike Waymo.

Basically, Waymo derives its DNA from the old DARPA projects. So, they are going slow and steady - choosing the easiest place first. Given Google's deep pockets, an expected strategy. Cruise is more daring (with little to lose, in a way, before GM acquire).

Of course people will choose normal looking Tesla over Waymo’s ghostbusters car, if Tesla works as well and if the price is same. The question is, does it work as well.

Well, far into the future when you could actually get these robotaxis on lease, they would work equally well ;)

Last edited:
If you spent some time in SF you'd think differently. Waymo has iPace's roaming the city and recently asked California to allow service but was denied because CA wasn't sure what to allow for billing.
To reiterate what I said .... "offering rides to public in SF" ... I don't need to "spend time in CA" to know whether Waymo is offering service to public or not.

Not a chance. I'd very very surprised if there added hardware costs is below $50K. More likely $100K for that custom work. If they mass produce in some distant future can get to the $10K range. Last I checked they are using top of the line xenon computers which I suspect cost $10K alone.
https://fornida.com/product/intel-x...VKj_H1B05-Ajtf3vIBzStMaVpAKPNDSRoCWLYQAvD_BwE
It doesn't matter what they use in a few hundred vans. They have to deploy 20-50k vehicles to start providing a viable service in a single city. At that scale they'll use a version of parent company Google's Edge TPU. Similar to Tesla's FSD boards with custom ASIC, but not quite as optimized so maybe twice the cost.
Waymo has been testing it's cars for several years now. But they still can't navigate an entire state autonomously
They have zero reason to provide a commercial Robotaxi service on dirt roads in the middle of nowhere. They'll restrict the service to metro areas because that's where Robotaxis make economic sense.

Reactions: diplomat33
I still find it somewhat difficult to believe that people will lease those cars with lots of stuff on top instead of a normal looking Tesla (assuming both are available).

To compete with Tesla on cost - they will have to get a cheapo car made by GM or someone like that.
I doubt anyone cares what their taxi looks like. In fact, lots of visible sensors might increase the comfort level. Leasing is a ways off, IMHO.
This only holds true until Cruise starts offering rides to public in SF. IIRC, they are close to doing that - unlike Waymo.
I don't think they're that close. Did you see their fully driverless demo? A few hundred feet on a straight street with no other traffic. You have to start somewhere, of course, but Waymo's first driverless demo was much more impressive. In 2015!

Cruise needs remote operator assistance every few minutes. Kyle Vogt (who sometimes participates in Reddit threads, btw) says that's OK. 15 seconds every 5 minutes is 5% duty cycle, so each remote operator could in theory mange 20 cars vs. Uber's 1:1 ratio. It's a good point, and I'm glad they're trying it, but I doubt they can even do 2:1 safely today.

Basically, Waymo derives its DNA from the old DARPA projects. So, they are going slow and steady - choosing the easiest place first. Given Google's deep pockets, an expected strategy. Cruise is more daring (with little to lose, in a way, before GM acquire).
It's really not timid vs. daring. Cruise is directly targeting Uber's city center market. The value proposition is clear, but it's difficult technically and the TAM is limited. I've seen 30b for the total US rideshare market; city center is a subset of that.

Waymo is swinging for the fences by targeting car replacement. US personal vehicle spending is close to 2 trillion/year. Of course they're not targeting the whole thing from day one -- they'll start by picking off 2nd and 3rd cars. And they can't deploy simultaneously in all 276 US metro areas, so they might as well start in ones with wide roads and good weather

Waymo's business model is much more daring than Cruise's (which in turn is more daring than Tesla's fake it 'til you make it approach). People identify with their cars and may refuse to give them up no matter how many Powerpoint talks Tony Seba gives. But if Waymo pulls it off? If they actually displace a meaningful chunk of Phoenix area personally owned vehicles? That's beyond a home run. They have to actually pull it off, though. If they shift toward a Cruise-type Uber replacement model we'll know they failed.

Waymo is swinging for the fences by targeting car replacement.

Leasing is a ways off, IMHO.

There in is the problem.

BTW, car replacement is an interesting thing - we can see how difficult it is to replace even gas cars with EVs. So, people would want to be able to drive everywhere, before they would replace their car. Waymo's geofenced solution won't cut it - even if available in top 50 metros. Until then, "robotaxi" is the only commercial possibility.

There in is the problem.

BTW, car replacement is an interesting thing - we can see how difficult it is to replace even gas cars with EVs. So, people would want to be able to drive everywhere, before they would replace their car. Waymo's geofenced solution won't cut it - even if available in top 50 metros. Until then, "robotaxi" is the only commercial possibility.

In the autonocast interview, Krafcik shares a statistic that people do most of their daily driving in a 100 sq mi area. And according to a statistic that I looked up, the average American only drives 16 miles to work each way. So I think Waymo believes that their geofenced solution can still work to meet the driving needs of a lot of people.

Obviously, it would not replace all driving. You are right that there would be people who want to drive long distances or need to drive outside the Waymo area. Really it would depend on where people want/need to drive. A person would check a map of where the Waymo robotaxi can drive and see if the map meets their needs or not. There would undoubtedly be some people who look at the map and it would not work for their driving needs.

But I could see the Waymo approach still working for a lot of people who just want a car to commute to work and run errands. And keep in mind that if you plan to use the robotaxi every day, it would probably be cheaper in the long term to own/lease the car rather than pay a ride-hailing service for every single ride.

Furthermore, if Waymo also mapped interstate highways connecting major cities, then I think it could definitely work for a lot of people. I definitely think there is a market for a truly driverless robotaxi that can drive in the top 50 metros and connecting highways.

On the other hand, long distance driving can be tiring. A driverless car would remove that penalty. So a driverless car could actually make long distance driving more likely. So I could see people wanting to go further if they had a driverless car. So I do think there is a place for a robotaxi that can drive everywhere.

Last edited:
In the autonocast interview, Krafcik shares a statistic that people do most of their daily driving in a 100 sq mi area. And according to a statistic that I looked up, the average American only drives 16 miles to work each way. So I think Waymo believes that their geofenced solution can still work to meet the driving needs of a lot of people.
LOL.

This is exactly what Nissan and GM said when they put out Leaf/Volt. Avg round trip is less than 40 miles - so the range is adequate - some 35 for Volt and 83 for Leaf.

Rest is history.

• Love
Reactions: mikes_fsd
Waymo needs to show it is more convenient and cheaper than owning a car. They should offer a subscription service. The average operating cost of a car is less than a dollar per mile. Waymo needs to be less than a dollar per mile. They also need to have enough cars to pick people up within a reasonable amount of time. No matter the time of day or the location of the pickup point

10,000 Miles per Year 15,000 Miles per Year 20,000 Miles per Year
Small Sedan 55 cents 42.3 cents 37.1 cents
Medium Sedan 71.6 cents 54.4 cents 47.1 cents
Large Sedan 82.2 cents 62.6 cents 54.4 cents
4WD SUV 82 cents 63 cents 55.2 cents
Minivan 80.2 cents 60.9 cents 52.7 cents

Krafcik tweeted that he does not love the SAE levels. He says he would prefer just 2 categories: driver assist and autonomous.

0xiPaJS.png

That's interesting. But I am not sure how you would distinguish between differences between systems or between ODD. For example, what about a driver assist that is only designed for highway driving? Or what about an autonomous system that is geofenced to a certain area? So, I feel like you still need more than 2 categories.