Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is also the cost part. You need to reduce the cost of each vehicle, including ongoing maintenance costs. You also want to reduce the cost of remote assistance and roadside assistance which ties into the tech part. You want your autonomous driving to be good enough that it requires as little remote assistance and roadside assistance as possible.
Seeing the I-Pace Robotaxis all over Palo Alto, you can't help but be struck by how elaborate the LIDAR and camera systems festooned all over the car appear. The I-Paces look really kinda experimentally kluged together and I can't imagine they are inexpensive either, which does appear to be a major advantage of Tesla's non-LIDAR approach.

(Diplomat33, thanks for all the information and your opinions on self-driving. Really, appreciate all your posting !)

Reactions: enemji
Seeing the I-Pace Robotaxis all over Palo Alto, you can't help but be struck by how elaborate the LIDAR and camera systems festooned all over the car appear. The I-Paces look really kinda experimentally kluged together and I can't imagine they are inexpensive either, which does appear to be a major advantage of Tesla's non-LIDAR approach.

People don't seem understand that the I-Pace is still basically a test car. Yes, Waymo is offering driverless rides in it but it is not the final robotaxi. That is why the sensors looked "tacked on". That's because they are because it is a test vehicle! And yes, the sensors look big and expensive because they are. But they are not the final sensors that will go on the real robotaxi. The Zeekr-Waymo vehicle that was revealed this week will be the real robotaxi. And if you look at it, you can see the sensors are smaller (likely cheaper) and fully integrated into the vehicle. So I am not worried about Waymo's sensors being big or expensive. Again, the I-Pace is a test vehicle, not the "real" robotaxi. Waymo's real robotaxi will be the Zeekr vehicle and the sensors are not big and expensive.

The problem with Tesla's non-lidar approach is that Tesla's FSD is not reliable enough to be driverless yet. It is unproven if Tesla can do driverless robotaxis with their approach. And if you can't do safe and reliable driverless with the non-lidar approach then it does not matter that the sensors are super cheap and small. Now, maybe Tesla is able to achieve safe driverless in a few years from now with their approach (I would be happy if they did) but it would still put them years behind Waymo as Waymo already has safe driverless that they are scaling to new areas. That is why I prefer the Waymo approach because it is proven that it can do safe driverless and the sensors will get smaller and cheaper.

(Diplomat33, thanks for all the information and your opinions on self-driving. Really, appreciate all your posting !)

You are welcome.

Last edited:
Do we know if the Zeekr with those sensors will be the last and final Robotaxi version for Waymo?

Will the iPhone 14 be the last and final iPhone? Of course not. Tech is always improving. Waymo is always looking to improve the hardware. I am sure there will be other sensors and other waymo robotaxis with better sensors over time. The Zeekr robotaxi will not be the last robotaxi.

We don't know how well it handles Dense Fog, Freezing Fog, Heavy Rain or even Snow.

Waymo is working on that. They are doing a lot of testing and validation with the 5th Gen. But even when it does handle dense fog, freezing fog, heavy rain and snow safely, Waymo would still work on even better sensors. You never stop finding ways to make the tech even better. That how the tech industry works.

Do we know if the Zeekr with those sensors will be the last and final Robotaxi version for Waymo? We don't know how well it handles Dense Fog, Freezing Fog, Heavy Rain or even Snow.
None of which radar will enable. Will it be Lidar that can see through these inclement weather? Or will it still be a vision call?

I remember diplomat calling it a fusion but in this situation it will be a fusion only if lidar or radar can help see and drive.

None of which radar will enable. Will it be Lidar that can see through these inclement weather? Or will it still be a vision call?

I remember diplomat calling it a fusion but in this situation it will be a fusion only if lidar or radar can help see and drive.

Lidar would probably struggle in those conditions. Cameras can see but with lower visibility. HD radar can see the best through dense fog, freezing fog, heavy rain, and snow. So the Zeekr would probably rely on fusion of radar and cameras to drive in those conditions. To that point, Waymo recently published a paper on their latest radar-camera fusion. They have developed a new neural net dubbed CramNet which handles the fusion of radar and camera data for robust 3D object detection. I believe Waymo is focusing on better radar-camera fusion in order to improve their perception in adverse weather like dense fog, heavy rain and snow.

M5gpoPy.png

Here is the paper: Waymo — Research — CramNet: Camera-Radar Fusion with Ray-Constrained Cross-Attention for Robust 3D Object Detection

Reactions: Bitdepth and enemji
I found something interesting. Anguelov showed this diagram of Waymo's autonomous stack. We can see that Prediction and Planning have been merged. They used to be separate in the stack a couple years ago.

whfdvsv.png

Here is the full 30 mn presentation where Anguelov talks about some of their latest ML research:

JJ Ricks interview with Waymo Product Management Director Chris Ludwick!

00:00 Intro and disclaimer
00:19 Start of interview
00:55 Biggest advancements with the 5th gen Waymo Driver?
04:40 What role has rider feedback played in development?
07:15 How do you pick up on indirect feedback from riders?
09:05 How is the 5th gen designed to be more weather resistant?
11:16 What goes into making the riding experience feel so "normal?"
13:37 Favorite edge cases, and how do you deal with them?
17:47 Silly questions begin
18:00 When Waymo merch???
19:03 Dark mode for the Waymo One app
19:27 That weird "our team is working to get you moving" message

None of which radar will enable.
Hi-def radar will make a huge difference in dense fog and extreme rain/snow. It isn't cheap, though. And the car will still have to slow down (like human drivers) since camera and lidar degrade severely in low-vis conditions.

The I-Paces look really kinda experimentally kluged together....
Because they are.

and I can't imagine they are inexpensive either, which does appear to be a major advantage of Tesla's non-LIDAR approach.
Cost only matters at scale, and Waymo won't scale the Jaguars.

Waymo said they reduced sensor cost 90% with Gen 4 and cut it in half again with Gen 5. Mass market lidars now cost a few hundred bucks in volume and with the way chip price/performance improves it's almost certain lidars that can match Gen 5 performance will cost that much by the time Waymo scales.

But let's say Waymo-level lidar stays expensive for a few more years. Even $50k of sensor+compute is 10 cents a mile spread over a 500k mile life. Ride hail is $2/mile (or more), so this doesn't really move the needle. It'd be an issue in 2030 when there are enough robotaxis to cause price competition, but I'm extremely confident 100k+ unit prices for sensor+compute won't be anywhere near $50k by then.

But let's say Waymo-level lidar stays expensive for a few more years. Even $50k of sensor+compute is 10 cents a mile spread over a 500k mile life. Ride hail is $2/mile (or more), so this doesn't really move the needle. It'd be an issue in 2030 when there are enough robotaxis to cause price competition, but I'm extremely confident 100k+ unit prices for sensor+compute won't be anywhere near $50k by then.

What do you think the Waymo-Zeekr driverless robotaxi will cost? My guess is ~$45k total (vehicle + hardware). My calculation is based on the base vehicle costing ~$20k and the sensors+compute costing ~$25k.

I wonder what kind of drivetrain warranty Waymo will get with the Zeekr? Cost of battery and motor replacement out of warranty? Transporting thousands of people a year anywhere in any weather I wouldn't be surprised if these cars have a 2 to 3 year life span

According to this source, the warranty will be 5 years or 500,000 km.

"The M-Vision will be designed to average more than 16 hours of continuous use per day, according to the developers, and should be able to last at least five years or 500,000 kilometres, according to an announced warranty."

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
What do you think the Waymo-Zeekr driverless robotaxi will cost? My guess is ~$45k total (vehicle + hardware). My calculation is based on the base vehicle costing ~$20k and the sensors+compute costing ~$25k.
That's in the ballpark. Maybe a bit low on the vehicle -- the smaller BYD Dolphin with 30 kWh LFP pack is $15k in China after subsidy. This will need ruggedized suspension and touch parts for long life in commercial service. And I figure 40 kWh (150-ish range) with 2x per day charging. Instead of a few $K in the various Chinese subsidies you have to add 27.5% US tariff. So probably more like 25k. The smaller Bolt is 26k with 60 kWh NMC pack and without tariff, but that's a blowout price for an end-of-life model.

With enough volume it might make sense for Zeekr and CATL (or whoever) to set up US LFP and vehicle factories to avoid the tariff and grab those sweet Biden subsidies.

Sensor+compute is almost a random number, basically whatever Waymo wants to pay. With solid state or even Ouster-style lidar and Google TPU-based ASICs they could get well below 10k. They aren't the type to skimp, though, so your 25k is probably closer.