Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waymo's Detroit factory online to mass produce robotaxis!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
"John Krafcik, CEO of Waymo, last week said that its Detroit plant is now in operation. Waymo is busily outfitting fleets of Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrids with self-driving tech. It’s a big step toward realizing traditional automakers’ greatest fear: getting reduced to being just a hardware provider.

We’ve just opened the world’s first dedicated autonomous plant,” Krafcik said during an interview with Detroit News at the Forbes Under 30 Summit in Detroit. “We call it a factory.” He first announced those plant operations were under way on September 12 at the Frankfurt Motor Show."
https://electrek.co/2019/11/08/waym...-toward-reducing-fca-into-a-hardware-provider

This sounds like a big step towards mass producing robotaxis. Could Waymo be getting ready to expand their ride hailing service to a lot more cities soon?

...Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrids with self-driving tech...

Elon Musk: "I think it's basically financially insane to buy anything except an electric car that is upgradeable to autonomy,

Even if it's not for autonomous fleet, Tesloop has proven that it's much more profitable to operate a Tesla than an ICE/hybrid fleet.

Waymo should commission Tesla to customize a barebone EV then it can add on its own specs to it.

Reactions: diplomat33
Waymo should commission Tesla to customize a barebone EV then it can add on its own specs to it.

I'd be all for that. Bur sadly, I don't think Elon would go for it since he might see it as infringing on his own plans for Tesla robotaxis. Heck, I wish Tesla would just partner with Waymo to equip Teslas with the Waymo self-driving tech. That would be perfect because we've have the best EV and the best fully autonomous driving tech. I know I'd definitely buy a Tesla EV with Waymo self-driving tech.

... infringing on his own plans for Tesla robotaxis...

Tesla has a history of working with others such as

Supplying Mercedes-Benz the drivetrains and battery for 7 years. The relationship stopped because Tesla was out of the danger of being short in cash and Mercedes-Benz has been able to develop its own EV team.

Also, Tesla supplied Toyota with its RAV4 motor, battery, electronics, software, gearbox... The relationship might have been stopped over the insult from Elon Musk for criticizing Toyota's "Fool Cells".

Tesla has a history of working with others such as

Supplying Mercedes-Benz the drivetrains and battery for 7 years. The relationship stopped because Tesla was out of the danger of being short in cash and Mercedes-Benz has been able to develop its own EV team.

Also, Tesla supplied Toyota with its RAV4 motor, battery, electronics, software, gearbox... The relationship might have been stopped over the insult from Elon Musk for criticizing Toyota's "Fool Cells".

Yes for building EVs. But do we really think Elon is going to give up on Tesla's FSD and just partner with Waymo or another company to provide them with FSD already done? I doubt it. Plus, we saw what happened with Mobileye. Tesla was working with a reputable company that is developing autonomous tech and the relationship fell apart because of irreconcilable differences.

Don't get me wrong: I'd love for Tesla to partner with Waymo or someone similar. I think we'd probably get FSD sooner and better FSD if they did. I just don't see it happening.

Yes for building EVs. But do we really think Elon is going to give up on Tesla's FSD and just partner with Waymo or another company to provide them with FSD already done? I doubt it. Plus, we saw what happened with Mobileye. Tesla was working with a reputable company that is developing autonomous tech and the relationship fell apart because of irreconcilable differences.

Don't get me wrong: I'd love for Tesla to partner with Waymo or someone similar. I think we'd probably get FSD sooner and better FSD if they did. I just don't see it happening.

Tesla needed MobilEye because it did not have the resource at that time just like Mercedes-Benz needed Tesla because it did not have an EV team at that time. Same with Toyota who needed Tesla because it didn't have an EV team at that time.

Once Tesla has its own resource, it could drop MobilEye.

Once Mercedes-Benz has its own EV team, it could drop Tesla too!

Once Tesla politically ticked off Toyota, Toyota could drop off Tesla too!

That's no different than why Waymo is using Chrysler because it doesn't have a car factory.

Once it can feasibly have a factory, it can drop Chrysler too.

But since Tesla said Toyota's Fuel Cell as Fool Cell, it has also said LIDAR is a crutch which of course is a touchy subject for Waymo too.

Since Tesla has a history of helping others to achieve zero emissions, I think Tesla won't mind helping Toyota and Waymo also.

I don't think Tesla would refuse to design and produce an EV for its competitors but the politics of words might not be conducive.