Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

4SUPER9

2022 Model S
Jun 6, 2013
So Cal
Last night, I went to a magnificent private Model 3 revealing at Century City mall showroom, here in LA, prior to the public displaying today. We were welcomed with champagne and a ton of hors d’oeuvres. After some significant lubrication and conversation with multiple educated Tesla representatives, we were pleasantly greeted by Franz von Holzhausen, who spoke a little bit about Tesla’s vision for developing this beautiful car (my future wife asked me to please not through my bra at him :p ).

Later, Franz was just hanging out with the crowd and I when I saw an opportunity to approach. I asked him the one question about the Nav that I always promised myself I would ask of himself, Elon, etc., if ever given the opportunity.

So, I said, “Franz, I was driving back from Mammoth with a friend, and he asked me if I could drop him off in Pasadena before I returned to LA…” to which Franz interrupted me and exclaimed: “Waypoints! Yes! They are coming.” I thanked him profusely and congratulating him on helping to change the world.

Very nice. Was at that very location earlier this week asking about OEM choices for the Model 3 (I’d heard Hankooks, and figured they’d go with GETs for the 19s). No confirmation for either but their non-answers and body language for other questions did indicate something was imminent.

Couldn’t get over there last night - glad it was a good time and that the upcoming Nav update will include waypoints.

Maybe it will even include alerts before spontaneous rerouting to the last or lateral SCs during legs, too, which would be immensely helpful in the Midwest and back east in particular.

• Funny
Reactions: brad.md.us
Tesla just added a routing tool to the Tesla website, which they are using so current and potential customers can see what a Tesla road trip would be like.

That tool has waypoints.

Having up-to-date map data is critical to getting Full Self Driving to work - which could mean shifting the routing from onboard to a cloud server.

What if the new website app is using a cloud server for routing (it's pretty fast!) - and the new NAV 2.0 onboard app will be using the same cloud server for routing...

Reactions: emorog
So, I said, “Franz, I was driving back from Mammoth with a friend, and he asked me if I could drop him off in Pasadena before I returned to LA…” to which Franz interrupted me and exclaimed: “Waypoints! Yes! They are coming.” I thanked him profusely and congratulating him on helping to change the world
Yeah they're coming ... after the updated browser, FSD, screen mirroring, etc. Look how long it took for them to fix USB shuffle, add Easy Entry.

Tesla just added a routing tool to the Tesla website, which they are using so current and potential customers can see what a Tesla road trip would be like.

That tool has waypoints.

Having up-to-date map data is critical to getting Full Self Driving to work - which could mean shifting the routing from onboard to a cloud server.

What if the new website app is using a cloud server for routing (it's pretty fast!) - and the new NAV 2.0 onboard app will be using the same cloud server for routing...
Relying solely on Internet connectivity for navigation would be a bad idea. Many people travel to areas where there is no cell service. Losing the ability to navigate in those areas would be frustrating. I doubt they will move to a server-based system.

Not to say that maps can't be downloaded, and certainly the areas where cell service is spotty is probably something Tesla has better data on than even AT&T. I'm sure something COULD be coded to anticipate losing connectivity and downloading maps for those areas, enough to get to the next area where they have service again.

Lord knows, they have had enough time to come up with a pretty good system...

Please explains way points. I assumed they could be used when you have no address. Like in the desert. I must be missing something since there must be addresses in Pasadena and he interrupted with waypoints. Like no other way to navigate without them.
The ability to have multiple stops along a route.

If I'm driving from home to a destination, and need to stop at a specific point along the way to pick up a friend, I can enter the interim way point (my friend's house), and the final destination in to the system, and it will route to the them both in order without having to do to separate nav routes.

This is particularly handy if you have to add an unanticipated stop (or more) while already en route to a destination. It's also very useful for planning, as you can still get overall travel time/distance to your final destination, as well as that info for each individual leg of your journey. You can't do that today if you must program each leg as it's own nav destination, and then program the next one, etc...

Great news.

How do you get invited to these events? Do you have like 50 referrals?
No clue. It popped into my email just a couple days prior. I’ve been invited to many events, but typically cannot make them.

Especially would be good to determine if you have adequate SOC to make it to final destination with the diversion.
^^This.
There is no current way in our cars to know how much energy we need to get to a destination unless we make a bee-line straight there. Any wavering from the planned route cannot be anticipated in advance. That is why, if I know ahead of time, I use EVTripplanner.

Yeah they're coming ... after the updated browser, FSD, screen mirroring, etc. Look how long it took for them to fix USB shuffle, add Easy Entry.
I gave you a “funny” for that one, and you are right. Don’t forget Apps. At the same time, I don’t think any of us here have ever owned a car that came WITHOUT: Hill hold, easy entry, driver’s side door unlock, new media player, remaining charge at destination, etc., etc, and had them added years after purchase.

The ability to have multiple stops along a route.

If I'm driving from home to a destination, and need to stop at a specific point along the way to pick up a friend, I can enter the interim way point (my friend's house), and the final destination in to the system, and it will route to the them both in order without having to do to separate nav routes.

This is particularly handy if you have to add an unanticipated stop (or more) while already en route to a destination. It's also very useful for planning, as you can still get overall travel time/distance to your final destination, as well as that info for each individual leg of your journey. You can't do that today if you must program each leg as it's own nav destination, and then program the next one, etc...
Thanks. That makes much more sense and I now see the value.

I gave you a “funny” for that one, and you are right. Don’t forget Apps. At the same time, I don’t think any of us here have ever owned a car that came WITHOUT: Hill hold, easy entry, driver’s side door unlock, new media player, remaining charge at destination, etc., etc, and had them added years after purchase.

What is hill hold? (I understand what the words mean.) My car has no such feature.

What is hill hold? (I understand what the words mean.) My car has no such feature.
If you are on a hill and press the brake pedal in further (harder) you will see a (H) in the IC indicating the car is being HELD. But I believe the "hill hold" in some cars is that it will do this automatically. I think of this like with some Golf Carts you do not have to put the brake on it will automatically hold the car when you stop.

Reactions: .jg.
If you are on a hill and press the brake pedal in further (harder) you will see a (H) in the IC indicating the car is being HELD. But I believe the "hill hold" in some cars is that it will do this automatically. I think of this like with some Golf Carts you do not have to put the brake on it will automatically hold the car when you stop.

I will try that again the next time I am stopped on an incline. I have never seen that "H" before. When did this occur? I do not ever recall seeing an update explaining this ability.

Thank you!

I will try that again the next time I am stopped on an incline. I have never seen that "H" before. When did this occur? I do not ever recall seeing an update explaining this ability.

Thank you!
I am not entirely sure, but I think there may be a couple of different versions of this. In my old 2013 MS, I would have to be on a minimal incline (I cannot recall the actual degree) and push the break down, and the car will stay there for several seconds to give me ample time to touch the accelerator. This feature was not on the car when I first purchased it, and was later added on via software update. On my 2016 MS, I believe this was present when I got the car, though I cannot recall that either. It now works differently in that it will continue to hold the vehicle in a braked position until released, and hence, the ((H)) symbol. I do know if this feature is retroactive to older models or not.

I am not entirely sure, but I think there may be a couple of different versions of this. In my old 2013 MS, I would have to be on a minimal incline (I cannot recall the actual degree) and push the break down, and the car will stay there for several seconds to give me ample time to touch the accelerator. This feature was not on the car when I first purchased it, and was later added on via software update. On my 2016 MS, I believe this was present when I got the car, though I cannot recall that either. It now works differently in that it will continue to hold the vehicle in a braked position until released, and hence, the ((H)) symbol. I do know if this feature is retroactive to older models or not.

Your 2013 model did exactly what mine does. On a gentle incline, the car will stay stationary for about 2 seconds before gravity takes over. On steeper inclines there is no hold. Our S is one from 2014. Perhaps that explains it. Thank you.