Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But even having Waypoints if of limited utility when the core function of the Nav tool is vastly inferior to other products - like Waze. I rarely bother using the Tesla nav app as I generally use Waze on my iPhone that is suction-cupped to my dash as Waze is much more aware of traffic than the Tesla app. I will only use the Tesla Nav on longer trips when I want to see how much battery SoC I will have left when I get to my destination and then decide about Superchargers.

Technically it isn't "hill hold" it is "vehicle hold". (At least according to the manual.)

Note: It was "hill hold" on the pre-AP cars, and could only function for a few seconds if I recall correctly.

Cars with Autopilot have a different brake system than previous cars.

From R&T Magazine when Autopilot first came out:
"Rather than use a vacuum brake booster, Tesla uses an electromechanical brake setup. The feeling under your foot comes from the resistance of a spring and an electric motor. Tesla VP of vehicle engineering Chris Porrit says it's like a steering rack on its side. The Porsche 918 is the only other production car using this system. The arrangement gives Tesla great flexibility with the automatic brakes in autopilot mode. The car can call for high-g braking in panic stops or gentle, chauffeur-style slowdowns. Concerned about brake feel? Tesla can tune it."

The rumor is that Tesla will be replacing the Navigon/Garmin software and maps with Mapbox, which supports more features than the subset of the Garmin software Tesla has been using for S/X navigation.

Though we won't know for sure what functionality we'll have with the new navigation software until either Tesla provides more details on what they are developing, or (more likely) they release it.

Can't wait to have waypoints as well, but I'm even more curious if they make the system as dynamic as is should be. Will you be able to choose to charge at a waypoint you specify, and will the system re-run the route based on your inputs? It seems for a nav system to work properly it has to work similar to abetterrouteplanner.com, otherwise whats the point.

Assuming they're using Mapbox and that Tesla will bring out all of the functionality to the onboard navigation system (which they did not do with Navigon/Garmin), we could see a significant improvement.

Go to the mapbox website to see what they are offering now and planning to add.

Assuming they're using Mapbox and that Tesla will bring out all of the functionality to the onboard navigation system (which they did not do with Navigon/Garmin), we could see a significant improvement.

Go to the mapbox website to see what they are offering now and planning to add.
I do see Tesla's logo on the Mapbox Automotive page: Automotive | Mapbox

Reactions: DDotJ and BerTX
But even having Waypoints if of limited utility when the core function of the Nav tool is vastly inferior to other products - like Waze. I rarely bother using the Tesla nav app as I generally use Waze on my iPhone that is suction-cupped to my dash as Waze is much more aware of traffic than the Tesla app. I will only use the Tesla Nav on longer trips when I want to see how much battery SoC I will have left when I get to my destination and then decide about Superchargers.

I once talked to a guy on a SC, who had a small Samsung phone, suction cupped to the main screen, for navigation. I laughed out loud when I saw it, that small phone on that giant touchscreen. Should have taken a picture...

• Funny
Reactions: MXn00b
I once talked to a guy on a SC, who had a small Samsung phone, suction cupped to the main screen, for navigation. I laughed out loud when I saw it, that small phone on that giant touchscreen. Should have taken a picture...
That's me every day. And I am guessing that I am not the only one. I have Waze running on my iPhone 6S plus which is suction cupped just to the left of the Tesla's 17" screen.

Relying solely on Internet connectivity for navigation would be a bad idea. Many people travel to areas where there is no cell service. Losing the ability to navigate in those areas would be frustrating. I doubt they will move to a server-based system.

Not to say that maps can't be downloaded, and certainly the areas where cell service is spotty is probably something Tesla has better data on than even AT&T. I'm sure something COULD be coded to anticipate losing connectivity and downloading maps for those areas, enough to get to the next area where they have service again.

Lord knows, they have had enough time to come up with a pretty good system...
I must have the Luddite -Gene... as I always carry a map book ... for all of North America...in my Tesla S trunk... just in case.

I have mine on one of the ball mounts stuck on the black part of the dash directly to the right of the screen. Works great. Waze ftw.

Or you can do this too (my setup). :--) I have Waze, apps, full browser.... all of it.

Attachments

• DSC03034.jpg
    DSC03034.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: Xenius
If you are on a hill and press the brake pedal in further (harder) you will see a (H) in the IC indicating the car is being HELD. But I believe the "hill hold" in some cars is that it will do this automatically. I think of this like with some Golf Carts you do not have to put the brake on it will automatically hold the car when you stop.
Or if you have creep mode on and are at a stop light, you can engage it and the car will stay put.

I don't get the appeal of having the user select a "creep" mode. Why would anyone want the car to do that, necessitating the driver to keep there foot on the break or do a hard press to set the "vehicle hold" mode. Is it that some folks are having a hard time "letting go" of the quirks of ICE vehicles?

I think this is exactly what it is - the need to let ICE go. I have creep mode turned on and never thought to turn it off. Maybe I should turn it off. It's like letting go of an ex-girlfriend. Or throwing the dog-tags in the ocean like in Top Gun.

• Funny
Reactions: SeminoleFSU
I don't get the appeal of having the user select a "creep" mode. Why would anyone want the car to do that, necessitating the driver to keep there foot on the break or do a hard press to set the "vehicle hold" mode. Is it that some folks are having a hard time "letting go" of the quirks of ICE vehicles?

Some argue there's a higher correlation between creep off and pedal misapplication, because creep means you're hovering over the brakes by default instead of the accelerator while parking, and creep also gives you a cue as to whether your car is in drive or reverse.

I think it's more the transition period when you just turn off creep where it's easy to mix them up due to muscle memory and not thinking: With Creep ON, you press down on "the pedal" to slow down. With Creep OFF, you have to let up on the pedal or switch pedals to slow down. Effectively the opposite.

I have creep on. I always drove manuals (without hill hold) until my last car, always use my right foot for both brakes and accelerator, and also always apply the brakes continuously when stopped. Creep allows me to keep my foot on the brake while parking, and provides a modest amount of hill-hold full time. Especially useful when I'm trying to get that last inch into the garage. Since I use the brakes full time while stopped anyway, having creep off doesn't do anything for me there. I think creep has its own merits aside from making lifelong automatic users feel comfortable.

• Love
Reactions: SeminoleFSU