Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ability to have multiple stops along a route.

If I'm driving from home to a destination, and need to stop at a specific point along the way to pick up a friend, I can enter the interim way point (my friend's house), and the final destination in to the system, and it will route to the them both in order without having to do to separate nav routes.

This is particularly handy if you have to add an unanticipated stop (or more) while already en route to a destination. It's also very useful for planning, as you can still get overall travel time/distance to your final destination, as well as that info for each individual leg of your journey. You can't do that today if you must program each leg as it's own nav destination, and then program the next one, etc...
Personally why both with such a flawed Nav system. I use Waze and have done in my last three cars. The big Tesla screen is impressive though ....

While Waze may give you directions to multiple locations, along with many other benefits, the purpose of having Waypoints within the Tesla screen itself is more important as we need to know range requirements. Waze will not give you that. EVtripplanner will, but not in real time.

Reactions: emorog and MP3Mike
A very useful feature on a Toyota from 2004 is a Nav Memory Point (of any kind) but especially with a directional sound alarm. This was great for registering speed traps so that it would sound a chime when you were approaching to remind you to check speed.

upload_2018-1-19_14-42-24.png

Last night, I went to a magnificent private Model 3 revealing at Century City mall showroom, here in LA, prior to the public displaying today. We were welcomed with champagne and a ton of hors d’oeuvres. After some significant lubrication and conversation with multiple educated Tesla representatives, we were pleasantly greeted by Franz von Holzhausen, who spoke a little bit about Tesla’s vision for developing this beautiful car (my future wife asked me to please not through my bra at him :p ).

Later, Franz was just hanging out with the crowd and I when I saw an opportunity to approach. I asked him the one question about the Nav that I always promised myself I would ask of himself, Elon, etc., if ever given the opportunity.

So, I said, “Franz, I was driving back from Mammoth with a friend, and he asked me if I could drop him off in Pasadena before I returned to LA…” to which Franz interrupted me and exclaimed: “Waypoints! Yes! They are coming.” I thanked him profusely and congratulating him on helping to change the world.
Are you saying you wear a bra? You a guy? And your anecdote about your question to the Tesla guy makes no sense!

Are you saying you wear a bra? You a guy? And your anecdote about your question to the Tesla guy makes no sense!
No, I do not wear a bra and yes, I am a guy. That's what made it so funny when she said it (at least it did to me). Sorry if you did not get either of the points you referenced. Hang around here for a bit and you may find some humor from time to time, or at least some feeble attempts. (BTW, not the best first post to make on this great forum).

Welcome to TMC, Ruggles. It's perfectly OK for women to be engaged to marry women,and the question makes perfect sense, so much so that Franz anticipated it before hearing the whole question.
Even though I am a guy, your point is valid, and thank you for your post.

Reactions: Chaserr
If you turn off Creep (highly recommended), you will be able to use Hill Hold on any gradient. It's so nice to use when waiting at long stoplights.

I could not agree more! Why would you use creep? You did not have it on manual gearshift vehicles- it's just a hangover from automatic transmissions to help people make the shift to EV's.

Be daring, take a deep breath, and turn creep off.
After a few drives, you'll wonder why you ever had it turned on! ;)

Cya

Some argue there's a higher correlation between creep off and pedal misapplication, because creep means you're hovering over the brakes by default instead of the accelerator while parking, and creep also gives you a cue as to whether your car is in drive or reverse.

I think it's more the transition period when you just turn off creep where it's easy to mix them up due to muscle memory and not thinking: With Creep ON, you press down on "the pedal" to slow down. With Creep OFF, you have to let up on the pedal or switch pedals to slow down. Effectively the opposite.

The moment I get into a normal car, I understand why creep is an anathema. I can understand how sudden acceleration incidents could arise from people used to pressing hard on a brake to stop and instead pressing on the one pedal they use most often in a Tesla: GO. However, without creep you can easily just glide everywhere. The silence, complete lack of vibration, and instant regen braking should facilitate safe parking and reinforce to a driver its a Tesla and to just let GO.

I always hate that my leaf has non-defeatable creep mode. What a bad idea.

Or... and this is just a crazy idea, we could accept that different people like different behavior in their cars.
And because these behaviors can be easily be turned on or off with software in an electric car, we don't have to debate if Tesla should or should not implement them in the cars or if we should use them or not. This goes for things like Chill mode as well.

I like creep on since I only have a few inches on each side and back when parking my car, and I therefore prefer to have my foot on the brake and not the accelerator. But that it my preference, and I very much appreciate the option being available to me.
And this is my first car without manual gear by the way, so this is a new preference for me.

Back to our original schedule broadcast:

Adding way-points will be a great addition to the navigation system, but unless they will be pulling a lot of the other traffic data, such as road closures, I will probably still keep my Waze running on the phone alongside with the car navigation.
There are so many nice features on that app, that it will be hard for me to miss them on the Tesla nav.

I personally find the EVtripping.com application a good alternative, but then again, it would be more comfortable when it's integrated in the Tesla navigation app. Does Tesla have this issue on it's agenda, and if so, any idea what time schedule they would be talking?

I personally find the EVtripping.com application a good alternative, but then again, it would be more comfortable when it's integrated in the Tesla navigation app. Does Tesla have this issue on it's agenda, and if so, any idea what time schedule they would be talking?
I do not think we have heard anything new since the first post of this thread. But I assumed it would require the new nav/maps system to be in place. Maybe part of v9 due to start in Aug. 2018?

Well, it's been 9 months since Franz told me that waypoints are coming, and software version 9 has arrived with no such feature. This is really hard to believe given that my portable TomTom from 2005 had this feature.
It was in the pre-release version of v9, but for some reason Tesla pulled the feature before rollout to beta testers. It was leaked on twitter by @wk057 on an engineering test vehicle. Maybe waypoint navigation was a little finicky?

Hopefully it rolls out sooner than later, but it shows that they are actively working on it. I just don't think it was ready for primetime for this v9 release.

• Informative
Reactions: 4SUPER9
Tesla just added a routing tool to the Tesla website, which they are using so current and potential customers can see what a Tesla road trip would be like.

That tool has waypoints.

Having up-to-date map data is critical to getting Full Self Driving to work - which could mean shifting the routing from onboard to a cloud server.

What if the new website app is using a cloud server for routing (it's pretty fast!) - and the new NAV 2.0 onboard app will be using the same cloud server for routing...

Where on the Tesla website did you find the routing tool? I'm just finding slick sales stuff and my account info. Thanks.

OK, here it is...15 months from the original post hinting about the upcoming "waypoints" (I found this thread while searching and wishing for such a feature). My 2003 Infiniti nav had waypoints. My Model S is almost 6 years old and our Model X is one month older than this thread. Sigh...

OK, here it is...15 months from the original post hinting about the upcoming "waypoints" (I found this thread while searching and wishing for such a feature). My 2003 Infiniti nav had waypoints. My Model S is almost 6 years old and our Model X is one month older than this thread. Sigh...
My TomTom from 1998 had waypoints. Well, I think it did. Can't remember, though I still have it laying around in a drawer somewhere.
Yep, 15 months since Franz told me waypoints are coming, and still nothing to show for it. At least we have fart sounds!
Come on Tesla, this is not a major feat in software design. I am sure your team can throw this together in a few days.

• Funny
Reactions: tmoz