Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waypoints causing inaccurate battery estimation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just came back from a 3000 mile road trip in my Model 3 from LA through Utah's national parks to Denver and back. I use the waypoint function a lot and noticed that, often times, the battery remaining estimate for the end destination is higher (and way too optimistic) when there are more waypoints added. This is the case even if the waypoints purely adds additional distance and not for example, substituting stretches of highway for slower roads. Then once the intermediate way point is reached, all of a sudden the trip planner recalculates and the energy remaining at the end destination becomes much lower (and realistic) again.

This caused a bit of anxiety when I was in the boonies far away from any supercharger. A couple of times the only thing that saved me from reaching 0% was preplanning the trip in ABRP since it's so much more accurate.

Have you guys noticed the same issues with your trip planner?

I had the opposite happen on a trip a few months ago. I added a waypoint that took me off the main highway to a side street for a lunch stop. It added probably not more than half a mile to the route, and at slower speeds. But the final arrival percentage went down nearly 10%. After I reached that waypoint and the navigation triggered the next section the arrival percentage was 'correct' again.

Basic single point navigation in the car is definitely the most accurate, but ABRP seems way better at calculating with additional waypoints. It seems very strange that adding waypoints would have this behavior in the car.

I noticed if you add a waypoint which is close to your departure point, the ETA will NOT account for traffic. On an afternoon route today in the SF Bay Area, the ETA at the final destination is 30 minutes earlier if I add a nearby waypoint.

This might indicate that weather or other factors aren’t accounted for after the first waypoint. A real problem with the logic!