Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ways to improve comfort without voiding warranty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a couple of herniated discs in my back from playing competitive Sports. I found that the front seats in the model 3 (these are the version 2 seats) are the best front seats I've ever experienced. My wife has lesser back issues but she thinks they're great seats as well. Obviously this is all anecdotal but I've heard from a lot of other people that they really love the front seats in the model 3.
I love them as well. The only seats better are the 18-way in my '21 Cayenne GTS. (Most modern 18-way Porsche seats are fantastic)

Reactions: dfwatt
Void warranty if they are the cause of the issue.

If you install coilovers and you go to Tesla complaining about suspension noises they will obviously refer you back to the installer. But what is being falsely repeated is that all aspects of your warranty are voided by any aftermarket modifications. This is counterfactual and untrue and misinformation. It does not help us to repeat or disseminate that misinformation. The previous poster and several others on this thread have talked about or have been concerned about open quotes voiding close quotes their entire warranty by installing coilovers. Again, that's just not true.

If you install coilovers and you go to Tesla complaining about suspension noises they will obviously refer you back to the installer. But what is being falsely repeated is that all aspects of your warranty are voided by any aftermarket modifications. This is counterfactual and untrue and misinformation. It does not help us to repeat or disseminate that misinformation. The previous poster and several others on this thread have talked about or have been concerned about open quotes voiding close quotes their entire warranty by installing coilovers. Again, that's just not true.
If something else goes wrong and it's because of your coilover setup then the warranty is voided for that issue.
But yes, a lot of people think a lot of things void the warranty. I also heard from Tesla reps in Norway that changing to non-Tesla rims would affect your warranty, which is obviously BS, but it's a sign of the issue with misinformation

Reactions: KenC
If something else goes wrong and it's because of your coilover setup then the warranty is voided for that issue.
But yes, a lot of people think a lot of things void the warranty. I also heard from Tesla reps in Norway that changing to non-Tesla rims would affect your warranty, which is obviously BS, but it's a sign of the issue with misinformation

Tesla has to be able to prove that there is a direct causal link between the aftermarket modification and the failure. For example claiming that your aftermarket wheels and tires introduce additional load on the motors and batteries so that they failed would be a ridiculous argument and even though you might have to go appeal to a higher up at Tesla for a warranty review or even go into court to just prove it was in fact ridiculous, this would not fall into the category of allowable warranty denials.

Well, I bought the MPP comfort coilovers, probably gonna switch to 19 or even 18" when I wear out the p zero (unless somebody wants to buy them)

I bet once you have the MPP comforts installed, you and your wife aren't going to feel the need to change wheels/tires.

The MPP's solve the harshness of hitting unevenness in the road more than any tire change, and they also solve the way the Model 3 lifts you up and forward in your seat when you go over uneven pavement at freeway speeds. That's a really annoying and uncomfortable feeling that should have been dialed out of the suspension by Tesla. No tire change is going to fix that, but the MPP's will. They did for me.

Last edited:
I bet once you have the MPP comforts installed, you and your wife aren't going to feel the need to change wheels/tires.

The MPP's solve the harshness of hitting unevenness in the road more than any tire change, and they also solve the way the Model 3 lifts you up and forward in your seat when you go over uneven pavement at freeway speeds. That's a really annoying and uncomfortable feeling that should have been dialed out of the suspension by Tesla. No tire change is going to fix that, but the MPP's will. They did for me.
Glad to hear it, don't really want to invest another $2500 on new rims and tires

My fiance finds the ride in the TM3P (and non-p) a bit too hard and gets back pain whenever she drives it for more than 20-30 minutes.
I'm wondering what kind of modifications is possible without voiding warranty.
I've heard the MPP comfort (adjustable) are a big help, but AFAIK Tesla isn't gonna be happy about that mod.
So which options are supported/don't affect warranty, and which of those would be most helpful?

Maybe look into replacing the OEM spring with an Unplugged mild spring. This is proven for a softer ride. Also a cheaper alternative to coilovers. It's VERY unlikely Tesla will void your warranty over springs. To give you some perspective, my car is modded from head to toe and looks like a race car. It's getting serviced for a part replacement under warranty right now.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.28.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 10.28.06 AM.png
    615.1 KB · Views: 90
  • CSCphoto-302782.jpg
    CSCphoto-302782.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 62
Maybe look into replacing the OEM spring with an Unplugged mild spring. This is proven for a softer ride. Also a cheaper alternative to coilovers. It's VERY unlikely Tesla will void your warranty over springs. To give you some perspective, my car is modded from head to toe and looks like a race car. It's getting serviced for a part replacement under warranty right now.
I did the top2 things:
switched to LR AWD and bought MPP comfort coilovers

My fiance finds the ride in the TM3P (and non-p) a bit too hard and gets back pain whenever she drives it for more than 20-30 minutes.
I'm wondering what kind of modifications is possible without voiding warranty.
I've heard the MPP comfort (adjustable) are a big help, but AFAIK Tesla isn't gonna be happy about that mod.
So which options are supported/don't affect warranty, and which of those would be most helpful?
My spouse likes a small lumbar pillow (in my M3 as well as all other vehicles).

Assuming you're on the 20's, a change to 18" wheels will soften up the ride quite a bit, and don't affect your warranty.

Is this an option you could look at?

No, it won't. The change in ride from 20s to 18s is minimal. I run 20" summers and 18" winters with factory size tires on both setups. I can hardly tell the difference in ride comfort. This has been the case in every car I've owned where I switched from different size summers to winters.

Good move. I have the sport coilovers and they ride better than stock. The comforts are supposed to be amazing for a street car.

Did you go with the adjustable comforts or just the standard?
Standard, no point in adjustable on the family car. I fooled myself into thinking I would track it, but I came to my senses before delivery

• Funny
Reactions: vogz
No, it won't. The change in ride from 20s to 18s is minimal. I run 20" summers and 18" winters with factory size tires on both setups. I can hardly tell the difference in ride comfort. This has been the case in every car I've owned where I switched from different size summers to winters.

Don't agree at all - I also have the 20s and the 18s. I find the 18s to be much more comfortable but I suspect it is down to the tire brands chosen. Different models will have different characteristics. Otherwise it sounds like you are saying all tires ride the same regardless of size or seasonal intent. Which again, has not at all been my experience. The larger, higher performance stuff is usually less comfortable. You have to find the blend of performance vs comfort that works for you.

It is unfortunately disinformation to suggest or repeat the falsehood that putting in a coilover set voids your warranty.

No disinformation here, Adding cushions to your seat for comfort will not void your warranty, I am pretty sure about that.
The original ask was to find a solution that would not void the warranty, and this is what I am addressing.
I am not commenting about other options and their implications.