Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ways to Support Direct Sales of Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A bill that would have allowed direct sales of Teslas in Arizona just died in our state legislature and I am pissed. It offends my sense of what free-choice and capitalism means. I am aware that Arizona isn't the only state to deny direct sales.

While efforts to correct this miscarriage of capitalism will be a state-by-state effort, I thought it might be a good idea to establish a place to share ideas about how to correct this injustice. I started a tread in the "Mountain/Southwest" section of TMC, but then recognized (with the help of DSM363) that challenges and solutions experienced in Washington, Texas, New Jersey, etc. might work all over the country.

Here are some of the ideas that I've considered and those offered by DSM363:

1) The combined power of each state's dealer association may be powerful, but the combined power of each state's Tesla owners could be an overwhelming force if we are organized.
2) While the dealer associations can lobby for their members, each Tesla owner could write to their representatives and share their hopes and concerns.
3) While the dealer associations can testify before legislative committees, the owners of Teslas have that same ability.
4) A awareness of the benefits of Teslas and EVs in general would be enhanced if Tesla owners invited their state representative for a test drive in their Roadster, Model S or Model X.
5) Tesla Motors could/should coordinate their efforts with owners, perhaps via TMC's state/regional clubs and groups.
6) Tesla Motors needs to let owners know about issues that impact them in their individual states. If they could use our help, an email or a posted notice on the website might be a good start.
7) Perhaps TMC needs to start a "Tesla Politics" thread if this is post is misplaced.

My appreciation to DSM363 for the following:
8) Tesla enthusiasts need to recognize that legislative action may take years to cross the threshold so we should not want to wait until right before the session starts to take action.
9) Since dealers use campaign contributions to support legislators who support their agendas, formation of an EV or Tesla-oriented PAC might make sense.
10) We need to make it simple for legislators to understand our concerns - perhaps have a one page handout with our argument & bullet points along with what we are asking for in legislation.
11) Hosting a fund raiser for a legislator who supports our agenda will get their attention. Present them with campaign checks at the event. Definitely play up the free market angle.
12) Consider a Tesla Capitol Day very early next session and get the transportation legislative assistants and hopefully the committee members to show up for rides. Make appointments with the legislators and walk about the Capitol in groups to speak with them.

Additional ideas:
13) Chart the track of legislation through your state's legislative bodies and be alert for the roadblocks - when a block is spotted or a bill is being held/delayed in committee, alert your supporters for action.
14) Call / write our the legislators who represent you, but also get to know the key members on the Transportation and Commerce committees who will likely have to sign off on any legislation.
15) Make an effort to know the key staffers or aides on the committees that will have to pass on the legislation.
16) It may make sense to embarrass legislators with their resistance to capitalism and free choice if they are appear ready to vote against direct sales, but we'll need to be careful who we offend.
17) Because legislation is complex, Tesla REALLY, REALLY needs to team it's efforts with us to create a true grassroots campaign.

One of the things that I most value about TMC is the quality of the thinking of it's members. Those of us in states that deny direct sales could use a little help. Please share your ideas to get direct sales to be the law everywhere.