Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ways to track amount of home charging vs supercharging/non-home charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!
My apartment complex wants me to pay for the amount of electricity I use for charging. Is there a way to track how much kW I use from a 240V 6-50 NEMA outlet every month? I was also wondering if the car already somehow tracks supercharger kW vs home kW so that I can just go off of that since I'm probably only going to supercharge if I'm ever charging not-at-home.

You could use something like teslafi.com

Do note that it isn’t for everyone. You do have to provide them with a token by logging in that technically gives access to

my username in the how did you hear about us field to double your trial

There are also meters that work.

AC Current Voltage Amperage Power Energy Panel Meter LCD Digital Display Ammeter Voltmeter Multimeter with Split Core Current Transformer CT AC 80-260V 100A Multi-Function Power Monitor Amazon.com: AC Current Voltage Amperage Power Energy Panel Meter LCD Digital Display Ammeter Voltmeter Multimeter with Split Core Current Transformer CT AC 80-260V 100A Multi-Function Power Monitor: Industrial & Scientific

Reactions: RTPEV and srs5694
Hey everyone!
My apartment complex wants me to pay for the amount of electricity I use for charging. Is there a way to track how much kW I use from a 240V 6-50 NEMA outlet every month? I was also wondering if the car already somehow tracks supercharger kW vs home kW so that I can just go off of that since I'm probably only going to supercharge if I'm ever charging not-at-home.

While you can track it using some third party tools (teslafi, or others), thats sort of a slippery slope unless that outlet is individually metered. How are they going to determine what to charge you, exactly? A flat fee based on how much you use? per kWh at whatever rates they get for the commercial structure?

Even if you got teslafi or something like it, thats your data, suppose you were to doctor it before you gave it to them (not saying you would, but you certainly COULD) to reduce your costs?

What they are likely really asking is "we will want to meter this connection / circuit costs. Before you go subscribing to anything, you might want to clarify, exactly, what they want, and will accept, and how they intend to bill you for it.

Btw - is the outlet already there?

you could have something like this put in -

Not a plug for above. But Google “refurbished electric meters” and you find a lot.

these are more robust than the meter I put in the first post.

Tell them if they want a metered service to contact Blink or Chargepoint to put in some proper destination chargers that will allow you to buy a measured service. For them to put that responsibility on you is ridiculous...IMO
I don't necessarily agree.

I'm not sure about how they handle multiple charge posts(each usually containing two charge-connectors) at one spot, but there's a $1300/year charge from chargepoint for billing and such even if there's not anyone who charges. $1300/year is a ton of wasted dough, if you only have one user and can get the necessary tracking from a $100 item.

Additionally, HPWC gen3's can supply the necessary information and even do direct-billing of the user(s) of the power. I'm not sure if there's any significant cost to getting that service(for the site), though.

Hey everyone!
Is an exact amount of energy usage required? Or can you just make do with a set fee that is estimated to cover what you are likely to use each month. Even if I'm consistently overpaying some, I'd rather just have a flat fee for usage. Gets rid of all the hassle of trying to monitor/track usage.

I'm not directly familiar with Teslafi's or others' abilities and whether they can account for this, but the issue with tracking usage on the car side is that you're likely going to be missing out on losses from charging inefficiencies. So, you'd actually be using more electricity than the car or tracking app says.

Tell them if they want a metered service to contact Blink or Chargepoint to put in some proper destination chargers that will allow you to buy a measured service. For them to put that responsibility on you is ridiculous...IMO
Much better deal for everyone to stay away from blink or ChargePoint if the agreed kWh rate is fair. Way too much overhead with those other solutions.

Reactions: outdoors
Is an exact amount of energy usage required? Or can you just make do with a set fee that is estimated to cover what you are likely to use each month. Even if I'm consistently overpaying some, I'd rather just have a flat fee for usage. Gets rid of all the hassle of trying to monitor/track usage.

I'm not directly familiar with Teslafi's or others' abilities and whether they can account for this, but the issue with tracking usage on the car side is that you're likely going to be missing out on losses from charging inefficiencies. So, you'd actually be using more electricity than the car or tracking app says.
The apartment manager was down to do a flat fee based on estimated usage :) But I was just curious about methods to track kW more precisely haha, I thought it would be cool to be able to be exact with how much to pay!

Btw - is the outlet already there?
There's a 6-50 NEMA outlet already here :3

there's a $1300/year charge from chargepoint for billing and such even if there's not anyone who charges. $1300/year is a ton of wasted dough, if you only have one user and can get the necessary tracking from a $100 item.
Dang o.o

Teslafi will show the charge amont in the battery, not the amount of energy needed to charge the car, unless you ignore the conversion lost which are about 15% to 20%.
You sure?

Yes, there will be some heat loss in the cable and the UMC relays before it hits the car electronics. But it does report added vs used.

I suppose I could put a watt meter on it and compare. But I’m lazy :)

1625930424007.png

Reactions: RTPEV
Another app that's useful for this is https://sg57productions.com/dashboardfortesla (Assuming you have an android phone!)

Its a one-time purchase($14.99) rather than a subscription based thing(well, you can do a subscription thing instead, but its silly) and even after you disconnect and drive away, you can show the most-recent charge amount in kwh. That would work, but if you do a lot of charging it might get tedious.

Reactions: play150