Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze adds HOV lanes support including Canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wayner

Oct 29, 2014
Toronto
I was pleasantly surprised to see that they are supporting Canada.
In addition to motorcycle support, Waze will also now support HOV lane navigation. Anyone who has driven in a high-occupancy vehicle lane knows that your route and ETA will be different from those driving in the regular lanes just feet away from you. Now, Waze will provide directions, routes, and ETAs based on HOV lane access.

Those who drive with multiple passengers or with a special pass can go into Waze's app settings and choose from a list of options to glean access to HOV lane routes. Those who drive a fuel-efficient vehicle can pick a special vehicle type in the app to get access to the same route options. HOV route support will be live first in 22 areas in the US as well as Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal, with more areas to come later.
New Waze update brings motorcycle, HOV-lane, and voice activation support

Expanded text:
IMG_4424.jpg

Navigation is already traffic aware. And I believe the data comes from Waze, though I suppose a lot of other Waze features aren't available.
most of these companies use Navteq...which is owned by google. The tesla system uses google maps.
Then there's the overlay of traffic data. Waze has its own, generated by waze users and their reports/GPS pings. Google has the same benefit of Android users.

They're pretty similar but I find waze to be a bit too jumpy...it's always trying way too hard to re-route you to save 4 seconds. I like how it shows me where the police are though :)

By the way - the way to activate this is as follows (this is on iOS):
On the Waze app go into Settings - Navigation - Add toll/HOV passes. Then turn on which of the options that you want - currently they list: EV OK, FAST, NEXUS and Ontario Green Plate. There are other passes that you can add as well as this appears to be location specific.

By the way - the way to activate this is as follows (this is on iOS):
On the Waze app go into Settings - Navigation - Add toll/HOV passes. Then turn on which of the options that you want - currently they list: EV OK, FAST, NEXUS and Ontario Green Plate. There are other passes that you can add as well as this appears to be location specific.
I wonder if Ontario Green Plate would work in Quebec HOV Green plate lanes.