Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Maps should be coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So today i was in a very interesting meeting with a Google/Waze insider who told me Elon had a custom WAZE app developed and is currently running on his Tesla. I know Tesla is working on a official SDK. Hopefully you guys will be getting it soon. I unfortunately have to wait till my Model 3 comes out.
I will believe it when I see it or when Elon Tweets a date.

Last edited:
I don't know what you guys are doubting? That Google/Maps insider (employee) told me this or that I'm fabricating the story. Either way seems like a very petty thing to do to make up don't ya think? I don't know why said person would make up such a thing. And honestly i don't think its that big a deal when I heard it but thought it was really cool and that you guys might appreciate it.

I don't know what you guys are doubting? That Google/Maps insider (employee) told me this or that I'm fabricating the story. Either way seems like a very petty thing to do to make up don't ya think? I don't know why said person would make up such a thing. And honestly i don't think its that big a deal when I heard it but thought it was really cool and that you guys might appreciate it.

I guess we've all heard too often about new features, rumors, reliable sources, etc. I was even at a meeting when Elon promised some stuff we still don't have, such as the SDK you mentioned. I also discussed the navigation with Jerome Guillen, who told me they were aware of its limitations and an update (better then TomTom!) was promised. This was early 2015. I only use Waze, so if your source is right, I'd be very happy.

Yeah, don't take it personally. I wasn't doubting you personally and I apologize for coming off like an a** but these kinds of rumors percolate all the time. I do appreciate your sharing it with us and if it happens you get the credit.

Yeah, don't take it personally. I wasn't doubting you personally and I apologize for coming off like an a** but these kinds of rumors percolate all the time. I do appreciate your sharing it with us and if happens you get the credit.
No worries, I know I don't have that many posts to my credit, but I can tell you my daily job involves research, software development and a LOT of GIS mapping. I run all sorts of analytics on geocoded data sets and because I work in the retail sector I had a meeting today with Waze to see how we could more directly market to our consumers. During the meeting I told them I was also a map editor on Google Maps and we started talking about cars, and then I told them I was on order for M3 and then I got the Elon tidbit. Anyways sorry to have to explain all of this is so much detail but just don't want you guys to think I'm full of s**t. LOL. I"m sure once SDK gets released, which I'm sure it will because after all Software plays such a big part in the Tesla story. Last thing. I think WAZE is a total no brainer APP to have running on a Model S, X or 3 in the near future.

No worries, I know I don't have that many posts to my credit, but I can tell you my daily job involves research, software development and a LOT of GIS mapping. I run all sorts of analytics on geocoded data sets and because I work in the retail sector I had a meeting today with Waze to see how we could more directly market to our consumers. During the meeting I told them I was also a map editor on Google Maps and we started talking about cars, and then I told them I was on order for M3 and then I got the Elon tidbit. Anyways sorry to have to explain all of this is so much detail but just don't want you guys to think I'm full of s**t. LOL. I"m sure once SDK gets released, which I'm sure it will because after all Software plays such a big part in the Tesla story. Last thing. I think WAZE is a total no brainer APP to have running on a Model S, X or 3 in the near future.

I really really hope what you're saying is true, and that we will have Waze in our cars soon. It would address one of my biggest complaints with my car. Honestly, if there was an SDK, the first app I'd download is Waze.

what is WAZE?

rock.jpg

Actually, I think Elon is already on record as of a few months ago saying that they're not doing an SDK, that the future was going to be "mirroring your apps", or something like that.

Actually, I think Elon is already on record as of a few months ago saying that they're not doing an SDK, that the future was going to be "mirroring your apps", or something like that.
Correct, their focus seems to be like ALMOST EVERY OTHER car manufacturer now - Apple CarPlay and/or Android Auto. The latter is supposed to get Waze late this year. Indeed, Tesla is actually behind in infotainment tech now by my reckoning (except for the giant screen itself).

The only question is: Will older Model Ses get Apple Carplay or Android Auto retrofitted? I have a bad feeling about that answer....

I am skeptical. Particularly with having two navigation apps in the car.

That said, this would solve my #1 problem with Waze (not enough drivers using it), as well as with the car (navigation is worse than Waze). I too think Apple Carplay / Android Auto is the future, but it doesn't seem that Apple will include Waze in Carplay anytime soon (given their stance on competing navigation apps in Carplay).