Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Maps should be coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still scratching my head why Tesla would waste their time reinventing the wheel when Waze is damn near perfect.
And the biggest problem is that waze doesn't offer the kind of lane-level detailed mapping that is required for autonomous driving. All of Tesla's navigation requirements derive from autonomous driving needs. There is no reason they would waste their time trying to integrate Waze.

• Disagree
Reactions: NerdUno
I like my on-board Nav package - because it has an "always" up to date Google map. I don't like that package because the routing is - ah - weird at times. It routes me through neighborhoods which I know are not the optimum route. There seems to be no way to "train" it to avoid Grant road, to use Speedway instead. So I just ignore some of its routing. On longer trips, it finds superchargers. Still, the routing has picked longer trips than I wanted and I had to pick my route and insert individual vectors until it got me where I wanted to go. Lots of room for picking better routing algorithms. My old garmin seems to pick better routing, but ignores Superchargers.

And the biggest problem is that waze doesn't offer the kind of lane-level detailed mapping that is required for autonomous driving
And neither does navigon or Tesla Maps.
They have separate machine-readable maps for autopilot that are completely decoupled from what they show you so it does not matter anyway.

I'm not sure I'll even believe it then. Spotify anyone?
What is it about Spotify? Works perfectly!
Oh, you mean your car does not have it? Are you going to complain that slacker songs restart from start every time you come to the car on non premium-audio builds too next? That's just because you let Tesla take away your freedom. ;)

Ah my old hometown....and I dunno...speedway can be really slow (I think the speed limit is still 35 in a lot of places!)
Currently, Grant is a mess- lane widening, (suicide lane removal) - potholes. Speedway has been upgraded and is currently in better shape. But I know this - local knowledge, and so it is my preference - but Tesla cannot be trained to honor my local knowledge and preferences. So - I just look at the weird routing and am entertained at how odd the offered path is. But it does wound my confidence for routing on longer trips. Why go through Quartzite and not Winkelman on a supercharger route between Tucson and Las Vegas?. Its more miles, goes down roads under construction. What were they thinking? So- I have to think - adding to a good suggestion local knowledge.

Currently, Grant is a mess- lane widening, (suicide lane removal) - potholes. Speedway has been upgraded and is currently in better shape. But I know this - local knowledge, and so it is my preference - but Tesla cannot be trained to honor my local knowledge and preferences. So - I just look at the weird routing and am entertained at how odd the offered path is. But it does wound my confidence for routing on longer trips. Why go through Quartzite and not Winkelman on a supercharger route between Tucson and Las Vegas?. Its more miles, goes down roads under construction. What were they thinking? So- I have to think - adding to a good suggestion local knowledge.

Yeah, thats the problem with computers, or any database really. Only as good as the data they're given, so "crap in, crap out." Makes me wonder why Tesla doesn't access any other data sources (waze or google, etc).

And, it's about time that they get rid of that suicide lane on Grant. I never, ever, drove in it even if it was open during that time. Too freaking scary!