TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Waze Maps should be coming soon

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ElectroFroggy, Jun 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

And the biggest problem is that waze doesn't offer the kind of lane-level detailed mapping that is required for autonomous driving. All of Tesla's navigation requirements derive from autonomous driving needs. There is no reason they would waste their time trying to integrate Waze.

• Disagree x 1
  2. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

Waze gives me reliable traffic-aware re-routing. The inbuilt SatNav does not. So that is reason enough for me to want it - rather than sit in traffic for an unknown length of time; seems to me that is just as relevant for autonomous driving too.

• Like x 1
  3. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

I'm not sure I'll even believe it then. Spotify anyone?

• Funny x 1
  4. thegruf

thegruf Active Member

Yes - really good thanks :runs:

5. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

LOL! I'd rather you guys have it than nobody has it. Enjoy! ;-)

• Love x 1
  6. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

Or give you alert fatigue where you will ignore the REAL reports of actual patrol cars ;-)

7. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Voluntaryist

All for your "safety and protection" of course. Nothing related to ticket/fine revenue at all.. move along. not the droids you're looking for, etc. ;-)

8. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

I like my on-board Nav package - because it has an "always" up to date Google map. I don't like that package because the routing is - ah - weird at times. It routes me through neighborhoods which I know are not the optimum route. There seems to be no way to "train" it to avoid Grant road, to use Speedway instead. So I just ignore some of its routing. On longer trips, it finds superchargers. Still, the routing has picked longer trips than I wanted and I had to pick my route and insert individual vectors until it got me where I wanted to go. Lots of room for picking better routing algorithms. My old garmin seems to pick better routing, but ignores Superchargers.

• Like x 2
  9. jslanger

jslanger Member

Ah my old hometown....and I dunno...speedway can be really slow (I think the speed limit is still 35 in a lot of places!)

10. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

And neither does navigon or Tesla Maps.
    They have separate machine-readable maps for autopilot that are completely decoupled from what they show you so it does not matter anyway.

What is it about Spotify? Works perfectly!
    Oh, you mean your car does not have it? Are you going to complain that slacker songs restart from start every time you come to the car on non premium-audio builds too next? That's just because you let Tesla take away your freedom. ;)

• Like x 4
  11. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

THIS !!

12. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I’ll believe it when I see it. For now all of this is mere speculation.

• Funny x 1
  13. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

Sorry to mark that funny, but take away the speculation on TMC and there is not much left...;)

14. AZ Desert Driver

AZ Desert Driver Rare combination

Currently, Grant is a mess- lane widening, (suicide lane removal) - potholes. Speedway has been upgraded and is currently in better shape. But I know this - local knowledge, and so it is my preference - but Tesla cannot be trained to honor my local knowledge and preferences. So - I just look at the weird routing and am entertained at how odd the offered path is. But it does wound my confidence for routing on longer trips. Why go through Quartzite and not Winkelman on a supercharger route between Tucson and Las Vegas?. Its more miles, goes down roads under construction. What were they thinking? So- I have to think - adding to a good suggestion local knowledge.

15. jslanger

jslanger Member

Yeah, thats the problem with computers, or any database really. Only as good as the data they're given, so "crap in, crap out." Makes me wonder why Tesla doesn't access any other data sources (waze or google, etc).

And, it's about time that they get rid of that suicide lane on Grant. I never, ever, drove in it even if it was open during that time. Too freaking scary!