Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Maps should be coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is a "redesign" of the interface just adding a few features on top of the complicated Navigon/Tesla/Google interface?

Or are they really going to fix it by moving to a single software app driving both displays - with common data?

Tesla does not use Google traffic. The traffic info used for routing comes from a company called Inrix.

The images of the maps on the main screen are google, on the IC (Instrument Cluster) it's Navigon (Garmin). The Navigon system is used for routing and the voice.

Is there a source for this? The traffic overlays almost exactly match Google Maps. I have a 2017 A4 with Inrix XD and it does not show any traffic info on some surface streets that Tesla and Google show.

I mean any sort of press release,interview or other evidence that the car uses INRIX traffic rather than google traffic.

Mobile traffic, maps, navigation and parking apps - INRIX
"INRIX Traffic users gain access to the same world-class technologies found in the dashboards of the best automobiles around the world including BMW, Porsche, Audi, Tesla and Ford."

Traffic colouring may be from Google, but routing is based on Inrix.

• Informative
Reactions: chillaban
"INRIX Traffic users gain access to the same world-class technologies found in the dashboards of the best automobiles around the world including BMW, Porsche, Audi, Tesla and Ford."

Off topic @g211 , I was in Bratislava exactly a year ago on a Danube cruise. Beautiful place!! (Peter Sagan is our favorite cyclist too). :)

Additional evidence is that I've observed my Tesla contacting Inrix servers over the network. It doesn't use the Tesla VPN for this, so it's pretty obvious if you just snoop on the packets to and from the car, say while it's on your home wireless.

Bruce.

Yes, I know for sure Tesla is using Inrix, because I have extensively examined the systems in the car. As I said earlier, the map tiles on the CID are Google's, so those colored images of traffic lines are Google, but the routing engine cannot use that data. Now I don't know where Inrix gets it's data, for all I know they purchase it from Google.

Yes, I know for sure Tesla is using Inrix, because I have extensively examined the systems in the car. As I said earlier, the map tiles on the CID are Google's, so those colored images of traffic lines are Google, but the routing engine cannot use that data. Now I don't know where Inrix gets it's data, for all I know they purchase it from Google.
Wait, if the routing engine can't use the traffic data, how does it know to re-route me around areas with unusually-bad traffic? There's occasionally a pop-up about it I'm sure many of us have seen. That seems to indicate at least some level of awareness.

Wait, if the routing engine can't use the traffic data, how does it know to re-route me around areas with unusually-bad traffic? There's occasionally a pop-up about it I'm sure many of us have seen. That seems to indicate at least some level of awareness.

Inrix is a provider of traffic data. The car gets traffic data from Inrix and (presumably) uses it for routing, but the traffic data on the MCU comes from Google.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Inrix is a provider of traffic data. The car gets traffic data from Inrix and (presumably) uses it for routing, but the traffic data on the MCU comes from Google.

Bruce.
So there's invsibile traffic data from Inrix used for routing by the Navigon portion of the system (which handles the routing duties), and the visible traffic data is from a completely different source: Google? That's a little different than what Ingineer claimed above, which is that Inrix is the source for the traffic data and Tesla simply uses Google's graphics (using an API?) to format them for display.

But he also claimed the traffic data can't be used for routing, and it clearly must be based on the heavy traffic automatic suggested route feature, so something's not quite right here. It's a confusing mash-up of systems.

I have seen that pop up exactly once, and I live in an area with fairly heavy traffic.

Waze is far far better for traffic than the onboard Tesla center display nav.