Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Maps should be coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have seen that pop up exactly once, and I live in an area with fairly heavy traffic.

Waze is far far better for traffic than the onboard Tesla center display nav.
I didn't say it worked well, I just said it existed and therefore the car must have some knowledge of traffic for routing purposes. :)

I see it once a week or so on my San Jose to Peninsula commute. I usually ignore it and traffic is fine. Except once, when it really was right and probably would have saved me 30 minutes (it claimed to save 5).

My understanding of what Ingineer posted above is that traffic routing uses Navigon + Inrix data only. This would be like any independent Nav system such as Garmin or Magellan.

The center display uses Google Maps and the traffic data on those maps uses Google traffic tiles. When a route is calculated, it's merely feeding the calculated route data to the Google Map for display only.

Inrix is a traffic data aggregator/supplier. They could very well be one of the sources for the Google traffic data (or vice-versa).

So there's invsibile traffic data from Inrix used for routing by the Navigon portion of the system (which handles the routing duties), and the visible traffic data is from a completely different source: Google? That's a little different than what Ingineer claimed above, which is that Inrix is the source for the traffic data and Tesla simply uses Google's graphics (using an API?) to format them for display.

But he also claimed the traffic data can't be used for routing, and it clearly must be based on the heavy traffic automatic suggested route feature, so something's not quite right here. It's a confusing mash-up of systems.

That's pretty much what I'm seeing, which is why I got confused and assumed it was using Google traffic for routing decisions. It does indeed look like Ingineer knows his stuff :D — the car does download traffic info from INRIX, and it seems to simply try to choose the "avoid this road segment" option for heavy traffic areas and see if the alternate computed route has a better ETA.

This system is clunky at best. It works well for some areas, but not for others. This morning it really did not want me to get on a particular highway and the alternate routes were basically to take the freeway in the opposite direction and then go back on the same freeway, which obviously would increase the ETA.

I have seen that pop up exactly once, and I live in an area with fairly heavy traffic.

Waze is far far better for traffic than the onboard Tesla center display nav.
I've never seen anything ever "pop up". If i have it turned on it just automatically changes my route. What does this pop up look like and do you have a choice to reject it?

I didn't say it worked well, I just said it existed and therefore the car must have some knowledge of traffic for routing purposes. :)

I see it once a week or so on my San Jose to Peninsula commute. I usually ignore it and traffic is fine. Except once, when it really was right and probably would have saved me 30 minutes (it claimed to save 5).
The other evidence is the fact that you can set the threshold for how many minutes it thinks it will save you before it will reroute. Fortunately, I have not been in a situation to need it, but if Waze is coming I will certainly welcome it.

So there's invsibile traffic data from Inrix used for routing by the Navigon portion of the system (which handles the routing duties), and the visible traffic data is from a completely different source: Google? That's a little different than what Ingineer claimed above, which is that Inrix is the source for the traffic data and Tesla simply uses Google's graphics (using an API?) to format them for display.

But he also claimed the traffic data can't be used for routing, and it clearly must be based on the heavy traffic automatic suggested route feature, so something's not quite right here. It's a confusing mash-up of systems.

Let me clarify what I wrote. I'm pretty sure about the use of Inrix traffic data because I've seen the packets go over the air (not that I know what's in them). I don't have first hand knowledge of the source of the traffic data displayed on the MCU although I believe it comes from Google Maps based on other discussions here.

I totally agree with you that this is confusing.

Bruce.

Reactions: ldgrmnmc
Reactions: msnow
I've never seen anything ever "pop up". If i have it turned on it just automatically changes my route. What does this pop up look like and do you have a choice to reject it?
The pop-up is specifically for commute advice. It's for work -> home / home -> work, when you get into your car at a time it assumes you are going from one of those to the other, and your "usual" route that the car observes you taking is deemed slow.

It's supposed to cater towards people who don't rely on nav to go home usually, but would benefit from an alert if something really bad happens on their usual route (like a big accident, etc).

For me, it's almost next to useless, because my commute home is one of 8 routes with many possible variations, and almost every day the stars align slightly differently and a different route is marginally faster. For that, Google Maps (real Google Maps) or Waze is absolutely crucial.

"INRIX Traffic users gain access to the same world-class technologies found in the dashboards of the best automobiles around the world including BMW, Porsche, Audi, Tesla and Ford.
Ford? Really. Every Ford I have owned as of late that was "traffic aware" which was worthless. In fact, I developed my own slogan for my Traffic Aware Ford. It was Traffic Aware but Don't Care. Didn't matter what the traffic was, it would route you right in the middle of it and never did the automatic or manual re-routing based on traffic information.. Ford's traffic aware was pure garbage on my 2013 Ford.

For me, it's almost next to useless, because my commute home is one of 8 routes with many possible variations, and almost every day the stars align slightly differently and a different route is marginally faster. For that, Google Maps (real Google Maps) or Waze is absolutely crucial.
I'd be happy just to have the option of routing around slower ferry routes which few people actually take.

Reactions: markn455
I used to get that pop up a lot. I think I changed the setting that delimits when the pop-up will occur. You can turn it off completely or change how much time delta is necessary to ask you if you want to re-route. Yours might be set in a way that just doesn't invoke the pop-up.

I used to get that pop up a lot. I think I changed the setting that delimits when the pop-up will occur. You can turn it off completely or change how much time delta is necessary to ask you if you want to re-route. Yours might be set in a way that just doesn't invoke the pop-up.
The way I'm reading the above posts is this only works for home or work destinations not any nav destination.

I wasn't aware of that but it makes sense too. The pop up usually came up unprompted. It's not as if I was inputting my house in the navy system every day. Maybe they just adjusted the sensitivity to time delta for it overall.
You can adjust the number of minutes time saved in settings. I think the default is short. I set mine to 5 minutes. If you don't typically use navigation between Home and Work or the reverse the systems learns the route you typically take. If it identifies a different route is quicker it will popup and offer you to select navigation to take you home the quicker route.

If you are using navigation to go places other than home and work, the system will re-router based on it's knowledge of traffic conditions. This re-routing seems to take place in the background without any notification to the driver. YMMV

If you are using navigation to go places other than home and work, the system will re-router based on it's knowledge of traffic conditions. This re-routing seems to take place in the background without any notification to the driver. YMMV
That's right and it's the reason I have it turned off. After 10 months of it taking me on the oddest, strangest routes to destinations I have learned not to completely trust the Nav system and the auto traffic routing not at all. I'm hoping this is finally fixed in 8.0.

Earlier this week, when completing a long road trip - we drove through Dallas after midnight.

The real time traffic completely missed that traffic on the highway through the city was having significant slow downs because traffic was limited to one lane - and was being stopped frequently due to construction equipment moving across the highway.

The navigation software made no attempt to route us around the problems - so we ended up wasting about a half hour driving through the city - when we could have reduced that delay by taking one of the other routes that would have avoided all of the construction.

With light traffic, after midnight - it was disappointing the navigation software didn't warn us about the bottleneck - and shift us to another road - that likely would have had almost no traffic in the middle of the night...

The entire navigation system should be re-labelled as "beta" - just like the Trip Planner, AutoPilot, Android app, media player, ...

Reactions: msnow
The entire navigation system should be re-labelled as "beta" - just like the Trip Planner, AutoPilot, Android app, media player, ...
This is very helpful to know. I think for my first road trip my plan will be to figure out my route with evtripplanner, then use waze to navigate from Supercharger to Supercharger, and forgo the shitty in car navigation.

Reactions: PaulusdB
One of my biggest gripes is that Tesla Nav ALWAYS does shortest route calculation. Which, if you suffer range (not ranger!) anxiety, makes a lot of sense.
However, I've seen multiple occasions where Waze suggested a detour which added 5 miles, but saved 20 minutes... I guess it is all about priorities.

Last edited: