Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Maps should be coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To clarify: The routing data comes from Navigon (Garmin). It's on a 16G MicroSD card in the CID. It's updated periodically over the air. To augment that routing data, the car pulls real-time traffic info from Inrix.

The CID displays standard Google maps, Google Earth (satellite) and Google traffic overlays all pulled over the internet, and none of which is used for routing.

One of my biggest gripes is that Tesla Nav ALWAYS does shortest route calculation. Which, if you suffer range (not ranger!) anxiety, makes a lot of sense.
However, I've seen multiple occasions where Waze suggested a detour which added 5 miles, but saved 20 minutes... I guess it is all about priorities.

My nav usually does not offer the shortest (distance) route. It usually offers me the quickest route (which for my case is clearly the longer route).

To clarify: The routing data comes from Navigon (Garmin). It's on a 16G MicroSD card in the CID. It's updated periodically over the air. To augment that routing data, the car pulls real-time traffic info from Inrix.

The CID displays standard Google maps, Google Earth (satellite) and Google traffic overlays all pulled over the internet, and none of which is used for routing.

I've found the Google traffic data to be very accurate--so I tend to reroute myself based on the Google traffic coloring on the main touchscreen if my current nav route appears to have traffic.

Reactions: markn455 and msnow
FWIW, using the nav (Routing/Traffic) in Spain is USELESS. Not sure if the fact that there are only a few Teslas around means there is not enough data/effort being put into this. Anyone planning on driving down from Northern Europe this summer, make sure you use some other means for verification.

Traffic information when compared to Google Maps on a phone looks ok, but the routing is unusable. You might end up doing 50% more km. Also re-routing doesn't happen or if it does it is usually also useless. Never resembles anything like the "real" google maps on a phone.

Trip planning is severely broken. Tried a few times to navigate to cities about 250-300km from madrid, and the trip planner and turn by turn would incorrectly display a total distance of 180 km to these cities. Something is really wonky there.

Anyone else had these issues?

Reactions: msnow
FWIW, using the nav (Routing/Traffic) in Spain is USELESS. Not sure if the fact that there are only a few Teslas around means there is not enough data/effort being put into this. Anyone planning on driving down from Northern Europe this summer, make sure you use some other means for verification.

Traffic information when compared to Google Maps on a phone looks ok, but the routing is unusable. You might end up doing 50% more km. Also re-routing doesn't happen or if it does it is usually also useless. Never resembles anything like the "real" google maps on a phone.

Trip planning is severely broken. Tried a few times to navigate to cities about 250-300km from madrid, and the trip planner and turn by turn would incorrectly display a total distance of 180 km to these cities. Something is really wonky there.

Did you take notice of the thread you're posting to?
So, just install Waze on your smartphone and wait for a better Tesla nav to come along.

Most have those issues. There are many, many threads on this issue.

SUCKS for actual directions

Particularly for roundabouts (which you may not have?). Every other Satnav I have ever used shows a circle with an exit-arrow at approx. the "angle" of the exit you need. Waze has a circle with a number in the centre for which exit to take. Being of-an-age I can't see it on my phone' screen without my reading glasses on - and can't see to drive with them on! If there are two roundabouts in quick succession Waze gives you a circle-plus-arrow for the SECOND one, but the first one coming up (including when the second-one becomes the next-one) you get circle-and-exit-number.

Or I'm a complete Twit and have not found the setting that lets me change this ...

Particularly for roundabouts (which you may not have?). Every other Satnav I have ever used shows a circle with an exit-arrow at approx. the "angle" of the exit you need. Waze has a circle with a number in the centre for which exit to take. Being of-an-age I can't see it on my phone' screen without my reading glasses on - and can't see to drive with them on! If there are two roundabouts in quick succession Waze gives you a circle-plus-arrow for the SECOND one, but the first one coming up (including when the second-one becomes the next-one) you get circle-and-exit-number.

Or I'm a complete Twit and have not found the setting that lets me change this ...
Another reason why I prefer Apple Maps or even Google Maps to Waze is the advance notice time you get with Apple and Google. In my experience with Waze the next turn notice comes much to late for me.

Waze is great for traffic and police alerts. I keep both the Waze and Tesla maps apps open on the big display.
Has anyone else noticed the issue with the construction alerts on Waze at the Hwy 280/85 interchange in CA? :eek:

upload_2016-7-19_12-6-55.png

WAZE is great for choosing the fastest route, but SUCKS for actual directions.

Glad to see I'm not the only person that feels this way. Many friends think I'm crazy for not automatically LOVING all aspects of Waze. I've missed exits / gone wrong way when 2 highways diverge because it gave absolutely NO guidance on which way to go. Often doesn't include road names in turn guidance.....

Reactions: ldgrmnmc

You'd think Google would improve the actual directions for WAZE. We don't have may roundabouts where I live, but it doesn't work well on the few I've encountered.

Another reason why I prefer Apple Maps or even Google Maps to Waze is the advance notice time you get with Apple and Google. In my experience with Waze the next turn notice comes much to late for me.

Agree completely, except for Apple Maps. I find it pretty terrible compared to Google.

Waze is great for traffic and police alerts. I keep both the Waze and Tesla maps apps open on the big display.
Has anyone else noticed the issue with the construction alerts on Waze at the Hwy 280/85 interchange in CA? :eek:

View attachment 186008

That's most likely residents posting construction around their house so WAZE doesn't direct a mass of cars through their neighborhoods. Anyone who used WAZE a few times knows it'll take you down residential streets to get around traffic... and home owners HATE it.

Glad to see I'm not the only person that feels this way. Many friends think I'm crazy for not automatically LOVING all aspects of Waze. I've missed exits / gone wrong way when 2 highways diverge because it gave absolutely NO guidance on which way to go. Often doesn't include road names in turn guidance.....

Agree completely. Just use WAZE for the routes to take and then choose that route on Google maps, so you don't miss turns.
I mainly use WAZE when I know where I want to go, but just want the fastest route. If I'm in a new city, I use Google to tell me which lane to get in and tell me the street name to turn on.

Speaking up for Waze for a moment!! I like:

Alerts for roadworks (including those reported by Wazers)
Alerts for cars stopped by side of road, accidents, police cars (reported by Wazers)
Alerts for congestion (reported by Wazers or detected by slow moving Wazers) - plus when I reach congestion I get an indication of how long the wait is, with a thermometer bar showing remaining time and I am, usually!!, confident that I would have been routed around it if possible / quicker.
Rerouting for congestion - two minds about this, it works fine IME but I'd like to be told "Turn RIGHT/LEFT to avoid delay of NNN minutes". I often wonder why I am being told to turn off the most likely route, and it would help to know how big the holdup is. IME it works really well in London (assuming phone gets a Satellite signal) to route around all the small holdups.
Also, can see what the holdups are on the route ahead (as a summary). Predicted arrival time is usually very accurate.
Ability to find a location by Google search (also true for Google Maps of course, but nothing remotely possible like that on my VW ICE SatNav!!)
TEXT details of route / arrival time to a friend / person I am visiting - great for kids to tell us when they are expecting to arrive home (so we have the meal prepared and the washing machine ready-to-run !!)
New roads discovered / added in hours (as cars strat to drive across what appear to be fields) - still haven't got roads that were opened 5 years ago on my VW ICE SatNav ...
Kindly folk have edited the maps to indicate right-of-way / priority at junctions. This helps in the countryside to avoid confusing instructions like "Turn RIGHT/LEFT in XXX feet" where actually the road just bears round a bend and the junction is to the other side. Plus complicated junctions are properly handled.

Cons:

STILL no option for distance announcements in Yards. Feet doesn't play well with us Brits
As said above: Roundabout ICONs are poor (verbal directions are OK, for me)
No fun trying to beat the arrival time by a massive margin, like the old SatNavs :p

I for one would definitely would like to have Waze as the/a Tesla SatNav APP.

residents posting construction around their house so WAZE doesn't direct a mass of cars through their neighborhoods.

Does that work? I go where Waze tells me, regardless of construction ICONs - i.e. if Waze thinks that Route-B is best that's fine for me. If average travel times through a housing area are quicker then presumably Waze will route traffic that way, regardless of construction reports?

Another thing about Waze that annoys me - announcements of upcoming turns seem pretty random when on the highway. At different times I've gotten the first alert at 6 miles, 4 miles, 4.7 miles, 4.2 miles. With Google Maps, it seems more consistent, and never at weird distances like 3.7 miles.

Another thing about Waze that annoys me - announcements of upcoming turns seem pretty random when on the highway. At different times I've gotten the first alert at 6 miles, 4 miles, 4.7 miles, 4.2 miles. With Google Maps, it seems more consistent, and never at weird distances like 3.7 miles.

Waze is more advanced: it tracks your current and recent driving and then uses traffic estimation to give you the instructions at the "proper" moment in time, which may just as well be 3.17346 miles before as 4.0000 miles.

Waze is more advanced: it tracks your current and recent driving and then uses traffic estimation to give you the instructions at the "proper" moment in time, which may just as well be 3.17346 miles before as 4.0000 miles.
Maybe where you live @Johan but here where I live and places I travel to the instructions to "exit" are much to close to the actual exit or freeway off ramp. Sometimes I've been forced to miss an exit because of the that. I've also used Waze in Italy and Slovania where it's just a little better. For me, Apple Maps while lacking the police, accident and construction notices is much more precise than anything else. Having said that I would still take Waze over the current Tesla Nav. ;)