Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Maps should be coming soon

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waze can easily be set up for hearing only the alerts you want. I have the turn by turn shut off and set only alerts. I swear by Waze. I have learned to trust it when I get re-routed even when it seems weird. It is routing me away from the traffic. I have been using it for 2 years now. My wife's Lexus uses Google maps and it is not as good avoiding traffic

Waze is great for traffic and police alerts. I keep both the Waze and Tesla maps apps open on the big display.
Has anyone else noticed the issue with the construction alerts on Waze at the Hwy 280/85 interchange in CA? :eek:
View attachment 186008

That's most likely residents posting construction around their house so WAZE doesn't direct a mass of cars through their neighborhoods. Anyone who used WAZE a few times knows it'll take you down residential streets to get around traffic... and home owners HATE it.

Thanks for your reply... makes sense about local residents posting the false construction alerts. How long do these alerts last before they expire?

So today i was in a very interesting meeting with a Google/Waze insider who told me Elon had a custom WAZE app developed and is currently running on his Tesla. I know Tesla is working on a official SDK. Hopefully you guys will be getting it soon. I unfortunately have to wait till my Model 3 comes out.

Hi there, so far as I can tell, it's been a while since Waze incorporation into Tesla has been discussed.

Does your friend have any additional insight that you can share speaking to this?

The custom Waze application for the Tesla browser works really well :cool: Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic

upload_2016-12-6_13-35-46.png

The custom Waze for Tesla website works nicely, however I would love to be able to contribute using the car, instead of my phone. Many times I would like to either add a new "siting" or mark one as no longer valid, to help everyone.

Agreed - contributing updates would be nice :cool:

No Nav either.

I run both on the Tesla split screen ... Waze on top and Nav below.

Agreed - contributing updates would be nice :cool:

I run both on the Tesla split screen ... Waze on top and Nav below.
Yeah I do to. I was referring to the OP's post about Waze being incorporated into the Tesla apps "soon". For me Tesla's Nav sucks big time and has for a long long time so having a single app that incorporates incidents and route guidance with waypoints and route choices (Waze) would have been awesome.

Sadly I don't find TeslaWaze make enough difference, for me, so I have Tesla Nav on screen, with sound turned off, and Waze on my phone, with sound turned up. Waze routing is, over here at least, far far superior to any other Nav that I have used (no experience of using Google Maps for NAV) with traffic rerouting, audible alerts for hazards / police on route and so on. The maps on my phone are too small to be good enough, so I use Tesla Nav for that - particularly when I have a complicated, unfamiliar, junction manoeuvre to make - I zoom-in on the Tesla map to more clearly see what I am supposed to be doing. There is a fair chance that Tesla and Waze agree on the odd occasions when the decision is complicated enough for me to need the Big Screen, particularly if I am close to my destination. Tesla Nav also gives me the associated energy graph etc. (subject to change if Waze decides to take me a longer route of course, but I can factor that in easily enough if there is a significant difference), which I need in additional to Waze on my phone.

Replacing Tesla's Nav with Waze would be perfect from my perspective.

To implement FSD and fulfill the goal of drivers only entering their destinations and letting the AP system do the driving, we'll need a much better navigation system than what we have today - with up-to-date maps and improved real-time traffic data (more than just the average speed). While we don't necessarily need the Waze software, FSD needs the same data - to display and also use for routing.

Note that the posted FSD demo doesn't appear to be using the navigation software - it appeared to be a pre-programmed route, and not a route produced from the nav system...

To implement FSD and fulfill the goal of drivers only entering their destinations and letting the AP system do the driving, we'll need a much better navigation system than what we have today - with up-to-date maps and improved real-time traffic data (more than just the average speed). While we don't necessarily need the Waze software, FSD needs the same data - to display and also use for routing.

Note that the posted FSD demo doesn't appear to be using the navigation software - it appeared to be a pre-programmed route, and not a route produced from the nav system...
Absolutely true. And I think this explains why the current navigation/trip planner has gotten such little TLC. I'm fairly certain Tesla is working on their own nav system that will be rolled out with more AP2 features. I'm just hoping we (AP1 and non-AP) get better navigation as well.

The custom Waze for Tesla website works nicely, however I would love to be able to contribute using the car, instead of my phone. Many times I would like to either add a new "siting" or mark one as no longer valid, to help everyone.

+100000000

This would be the ultimate. I do NOT want to have to look down at my 4" phone screen doing 80MPH and try and add/update a pin. Just not worth the risk. Can it be done thru the Tesla browser, or is THAT the limiting factor?