Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze on Tesla Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've posted this in the Model X forum, but someone (appropriately) noted that I should ask Model S owners, who obviously constitute the largest group of people who could answer this question. So doing so now:

Forgive me if there is a dedicated thread on this topic, but if there is I haven't found it. I've become so addicted to Waze that I tend to use it over a fairly good navigation system in my 535i and despite the fact this means I lose the nice heads up display (HUD) in my car. I read one post that notes that Tesla's rerouting approach uses Waze data, but my issue is that I have two primary routes home, and deciding between the two is really simplest with Waze. And I've also found it's predictive algorithm related to commute time keeps getting better, and is often frighteningly accurate.

What I'd like to know from current Model S owners who are also Waze fans, is: How do you currently use Waze in your vehicles? That is, other than using your phone to effectively bypass the car's nav, which is what I'm doing now and frustrates me given the cost of my upgraded Nav and negation of the benefits of my HUD. I have a MX on order.

Love waze! I set up my iPhone up on a Proclip mount and basically don't use the Tesla nav at all. In my experience, the Tesla nav definitely does not use the Waze navigation algorithms. Really easy to test this by inputting the same destination on both, and very often I'll get different routes.

The other thing that you probably already know is that you can fire up a map of waze incidents on the Tesla web browser. Waze for Tesla Incidents and Supercharger Traffic. This works ok for speed traps and the like, but it doesn't provide navigation. It's also kludgy and slow, but so is everything on the tesla web browser.

Reactions: Blueeyedme
there is a thread for the waze app that is optimized for the tesla, that said I never use it because compared to Waze on my iphone the tesla app for the car is very limited. I run both Waze for the info and the tesla nav. YMMV