Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze thru Android auto / Apple carplay seems like a no-brainer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do any of the routing apps allow you to optimize for EV range?

I'm not familiar with Waze, but with Google Maps you can avoid stuff like tolls, but it will still try to route you miles and miles out of your way in order to save a few minutes of time. Sometimes sitting in a bit of traffic is the best option, since you're not burning kwh pushing air out of the way.

From what I understand, Tesla is using their in house Tesla Vision to gather traffic information from other Tesla driving in the area. They will gather more and more data, and soon have an even more accurate guidance with traffic considerations.

Waze is good, but it is getting significant push back from quiet neighborhoods where throngs of users cut through their neighborhoods to get around some congestion.

What info does Waze sell? They have ads when you are stopped at the light assuming you are looking at your phone at the light. I never noticed what they are advertising. Or do you mean they track your location? Or what?

-Randy

What info does Waze sell? They have ads when you are stopped at the light assuming you are looking at your phone at the light. I never noticed what they are advertising. Or do you mean they track your location? Or what?

-Randy
Yes they track where you go, meaning they know where you live, where you work, where you shop, and much more. You can learn a hell of a lot about a person if you always know where they go and how much time they spend there, and they sell this info to anyone who will pay for it. And waze tracks you even when you don't have the app open. I refuse to support this kind of corporate cyber stalking.

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
Yes they track where you go, meaning they know where you live, where you work, where you shop, and much more. You can learn a hell of a lot about a person if you always know where they go and how much time they spend there, and they sell this info to anyone who will pay for it. And waze tracks you even when you don't have the app open. I refuse to support this kind of corporate cyber stalking.

Is that on the Waze Android version? Waze on iPhone does not track when the app is closed unless you give it permission.

Reactions: Msjulie
Waze is amazing if you have a 120+ miles drive every day like I do. It is not about direction as I know where I am going. It is about real time information like object on the road, police, construction, accidents, etc... and active rerouting. And for EV, it will tell you the time on carpool lane vs regular lane.

BTW, I have google location history turned on, so google is already tracking me and have my location history for years and years. It is actually pretty cool as I forgot where I was or what I did 3 years ago on certain date and I could just pull it up on the account. It even interleaves the pictures I took with my phone to those locations because they were all stored on google photos.

Reactions: insaneoctane
Waze is amazing if you have a 120+ miles drive every day like I do. It is not about direction as I know where I am going. It is about real time information like object on the road, police, construction, accidents, etc... and active rerouting. And for EV, it will tell you the time on carpool lane vs regular lane.

BTW, I have google location history turned on, so google is already tracking me and have my location history for years and years. It is actually pretty cool as I forgot where I was or what I did 3 years ago on certain date and I could just pull it up on the account. It even interleaves the pictures I took with my phone to those locations because they were all stored on google photos.
Agree 100% as I have a long commute too. Waze is my co-pilot even though I know how to get home... I just don't know the best way home each day....

It's all great and fun until it's used to put you in jail for something. Total surveillance societies are less free societies.

Reactions: SSonnentag
Wow! What do you do with your free time that could land you in jail?

Sure, we are moving towards a kleptocracy form of government, but unless you are trying to run against or report on the current head of the government you are not likely to come across these issues.

-Randy
Once you give up privacy or freedom you do not get it back. It's all well and good when a benevolent leader has access to your data, but what happens when that benevolent leader is replaced by an egomaniacal sociopathic tyrant, who can now track and punish anyone expressing dissent?

Reactions: voip-ninja
Just FYI, most people know Waze is owned by Google right? And they share data between the two platforms, google gets part of their accident and traffic info from waze. Waze maps and navigation works much better at secluded places (crazy city like Jakarta and villages like Bali) because of the crowdsource nature.

Google Bought Waze For $1.1B, Giving A Social Data Boost To Its Mapping Business

Google Has A Plan To Finally Bring Carpooling To Britain

Update: Lol, I posted this after just reading the first page. So feel free to ignore my repetition that a few others have mentioned before me :)

Last edited: