Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Users??!?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Lauren: Perhaps you already checked, but just make sure the Nav Traffic Aware routing is turned on and set to a threshold of 5 minutes or less. In my experience, Google routing with traffic aware turned on is very similar to Waze in routing recommendations.

To see Waze on Tesla now (shows traffic conditions, police and incidents), just type this into the car's browser: tesla-waze.excelsis.com

Thanks for the tip. Is this link better thank the standard Waze.com?

Thanks for the tip. Is this link better thank the standard Waze.com?

Unfortunately not. It is only a unidirectional snapshot every 5 to 10 seconds of the Waze data, but it does allow you to view that data on your main screen, including police and incident locations. However, it is a good compromise for the time being until (if) Tesla integrates Waze fully into the NAV system. After all, Waze is now owned by Google, so a convergence of the systems could be more likely than not.

I wish I could customize Waze to stop telling me about certain alerts. The "car parked on shoulder of road" goes off every couple of miles and is almost entirely useless. I really only want the "police ahead" alert, tbh. I can take them off the display, but I can't selectively stop the alerts I don't like.

Odd. I use it all the time and it interrupts Slacker for alerts about 80% of the tie. I do have "Prefer Bluetooth" set in Waze.
Huh. Mine seems to be an either/or selection. I can use the car for audio, or I can use my phone. I've never been able to do both. If the phone isn't set as the audio source in the media app, no phone audio makes it out of the car's speakers. Is there a setting somewhere?

Huh. Mine seems to be an either/or selection. I can use the car for audio, or I can use my phone. I've never been able to do both. If the phone isn't set as the audio source in the media app, no phone audio makes it out of the car's speakers. Is there a setting somewhere?

I usually do not have the phone set as the source in the Media Player. I have the radio, TuneIn, or Slacker and the phone does a Bluetooth interrupt to play the alert (or directions if I have that turned on in the Waze app). From the car's perspective, it looks like I'm on a 2-second Bluetooth phone call as I get the usual IC display to "End Call" and a call timer while the alert is playing. Waze does this interruption about 80% of the time. It was 100% of the time, but its hasn't worked as well since they revamped the UI. I suspect they changed part of the code for sounds and that negatively affected this.

When I make the phone the Media Source, I get 100% of the Waze alerts (or directions). Waze reduces the volume temporarily of whatever is playing over Bluetooth from my phone and speaks over the music.

I usually do not have the phone set as the source in the Media Player. I have the radio, TuneIn, or Slacker and the phone does a Bluetooth interrupt to play the alert (or directions if I have that turned on in the Waze app). From the car's perspective, it looks like I'm on a 2-second Bluetooth phone call as I get the usual IC display to "End Call" and a call timer while the alert is playing. Waze does this interruption about 80% of the time. It was 100% of the time, but its hasn't worked as well since they revamped the UI. I suspect they changed part of the code for sounds and that negatively affected this.

When I make the phone the Media Source, I get 100% of the Waze alerts (or directions). Waze reduces the volume temporarily of whatever is playing over Bluetooth from my phone and speaks over the music.
Interesting. Thanks for the tip and setup process. I will test this again and pay more attention to exactly what it is I am doing to see if I can get it working.

I used Waze for several months before Model S - since, I use the browser every day. I don't miss the other users or candy or burgers or goofy noises and whatnot in the app - I only want to see incidents. So I'm purely a leech now. I would try to report information too, if the browser interface allowed it, and it actually worked. But even with the phone app it only lead to frustration 99% of the time. Three-finger-touch; ding; "report traffic"; "heavy or moderate?"; "moderate"; "sorry I didn't catch that?"; "moderate!"; "what was that?"; "MODERATE!"; "sorry"; "!$&%^%&^#". Every freaking time. Maybe it's better I stay just a leech - much calmer. So far I'm using the Tesla Nav.

I use WAZE, it's impressive. "watch out for car at the side of the road" and there it is. As a resident of a small town, WAZE has made our lives a complete misery in the summer. It diverts all the beach freeway traffic onto surface streets until the town is at complete gridlock. It got so bad over the summer that they had police stationed at the freeway exits and put up massive signage "Beach traffic --->"

Oh that sounds horrible. Beach; one of the most overrated things in the world. :wink:

Last week I had to make my run to the Service Center for my seat belt check. The Tesla Nav suggested route estimated it would take me just short of 2 hours to make the trip. The WAZE suggested route put the estimated travel time closer to 45 minutes.

On the return home, both were similar, and both suggested I take a slightly longer route that avoided a traffic incident. I don't know what happened on the way to the service center, though. Even as I continued to ignore the Tesla Nav instructions, the route that it adjusted to and tried to get me to follow never came anywhere close to matching the time for the WAZE route.