Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Waze Users??!?!?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how many out there use waze? i know people love this app and i have tried it throughout the years many times and HATED it due to all those goofy bubble icons, and not knowing what the hell they mean and what they are telling me. sometimes stupid random whataburger or burger king icons would show up, making the map impossible to read.

well, i never bothered using the navigation function, which takes me on the quickest routes and avoiding traffic, esp in LA. now im loving it much more....previously i always just used google maps and made my way around town by avoiding the red traffic lines on the map (never used the navigation function).

im now using waze alot, esp during rush hour. pretty cool app!

Me <--- Waze User!!!!!!!
Though usually it is in the form of the Web Page For Tesla, at
http://tesla-waze.excelsis.com/
I enjoy the "Special Guest Voices" offered on the mobile app.

Also cool is how easy it is to send ETA updates to others to let them know when I'll get there. As usual, my kids are way(z) ahead of me in use of the app; anything I learned waz from observing them.

Last edited:
I use WAZE, it's impressive. "watch out for car at the side of the road" and there it is. As a resident of a small town, WAZE has made our lives a complete misery in the summer. It diverts all the beach freeway traffic onto surface streets until the town is at complete gridlock. It got so bad over the summer that they had police stationed at the freeway exits and put up massive signage "Beach traffic --->"

Long time, heavy Waze user and contributor, yes. Not perfect app, though very good at what it does. More difficult post Google acquisition/massive scaling to get new features in, though dev team still smart and engaged.

BTW, Nigel, where do you live. Sounds like a great shortcut ;-). In all seriousness, it's not just Waze as Google maps now uses a lot more Waze info. You could fool both by setting up construction zone, or temp road closures, using Waze to divert the traffic - ie work with the system.

I use Waze, other Wazer's set warnings about the existence of Potholes, cars broken down on the side of the road or accidents, hazards of all types and police cars and lane closings.
You can see the speed of other Wazers ahead of you on the road as well.
Its ability to navigate is very good and the voice recognition ability of destinations is also top notch.
Does it work on the 17" display???
I hope it does.

Like the Op, I never used Waze before but use it all the time now and love it. A few things I would love to tweak, but I get what I paid for! But honestly, if I could turn off the car stopped on shoulder alert without turning off all road hazards, I'd be ecstatic!

ArtInCT, sadly no native Waze on the 17" but you can display the alerts using the above mentioned web app in the 17" browser.

Until I started using it with my Tesla I had not used Waze in the US. I used it every day in Rio de Janeiro, where it makes a huge difference avoiding congestion. Now I find it indispensable in the US too. I am not Royalty yet in the US, but have only 3200 points to go.

In in several urban settings, Miami, Charlotte, Cincinnati and Atlanta are recent ones for me, Wayz has rerouted around temporary construction diversions and, twice, around huge accidents. I would not even think of traveling without it.

My only irritant is the inability to have full integration with the Tesla display, especially since Googke is the supplier. That irritates me!

I like the Tesla Waze app and thank the guy who did it for us! It's basic, but helpful for spotting cops, which is all I use it for. It would be great to be able to report cops or incidents right from the screen. But I get why he can't give us that without API access. It's way too hard for me to do that on my phone without being distracted, which I won't do.

When I am on a trip, I have T-Waze on top and nav below. Works nicely for giving info at a fast glance.

I took delivery of my Tesla yesterday and I was already going crazy without Waze. The basic nav in the Tesla is just awful...it routed me directly into a mess of traffic that I got stuck in. Pulled out Waze on my phone and it immediately got me going on a different route while the Tesla nav continued to yell at me to u-turn. I use Waze about 20 times a week on average...only 10% of which are for finding new places or going somewhere that traffic isn't an issue.

I look forward to trying out the Tesla Waze because using the car's default nav just isn't going to work. In my area there's a lot of traffic and a lot of options...any given week I will take at least 3 different routes to and from work and knowing which one to take saves me a significant amount of time.

I took delivery of my Tesla yesterday and I was already going crazy without Waze. The basic nav in the Tesla is just awful...it routed me directly into a mess of traffic that I got stuck in. Pulled out Waze on my phone and it immediately got me going on a different route while the Tesla nav continued to yell at me to u-turn. I use Waze about 20 times a week on average...only 10% of which are for finding new places or going somewhere that traffic isn't an issue.

I look forward to trying out the Tesla Waze because using the car's default nav just isn't going to work. In my area there's a lot of traffic and a lot of options...any given week I will take at least 3 different routes to and from work and knowing which one to take saves me a significant amount of time.

@Lauren: Perhaps you already checked, but just make sure the Nav Traffic Aware routing is turned on and set to a threshold of 5 minutes or less. In my experience, Google routing with traffic aware turned on is very similar to Waze in routing recommendations.

To see Waze on Tesla now (shows traffic conditions, police and incidents), just type this into the car's browser: tesla-waze.excelsis.com

I was renting a car driving back and forth to LA from SAN usng Waze each time for the past 3 months, but bit the bullet this past week and took my MS. The Nav brought me basically the same way as Waze, except for when I came home Thursday, Waze always took me aroumd much of the traffic on I5 south, but inevitably I was stuck on the I5 south for 7 miles, but the Nav routed me around the traffic and I was only stuck in the I5 south traffic for 1.5 miles. I will continue using both until I'm convinced that the Nav has improved over Waze.

My 12 mile commute in Miami can be anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. Using WAZE I've basically eliminated the 2 hour variety. The saying here is that if someone 'spits' on the road traffic stops. Amazing, live where it rains all the time you'd think people would figure it out, not here. One thing you do have to pay attention to is the actual route it tries to take you on. It doesn't know 'safe' neighborhoods vs. the ones the police avoid, it will have you make left turns without traffic signals across streets where it is nearly impossible to do so. So, you have to know a little about the area you are driving in or you can find yourself in some peculiar situations.

But, I use it everyday and especially appreciate the police reports!

@Lauren: Perhaps you already checked, but just make sure the Nav Traffic Aware routing is turned on and set to a threshold of 5 minutes or less. In my experience, Google routing with traffic aware turned on is very similar to Waze in routing recommendations.

To see Waze on Tesla now (shows traffic conditions, police and incidents), just type this into the car's browser: tesla-waze.excelsis.com

I'll definitely give it a try the next time I'm not in a hurry. Traffic was on but I don't know what the threshold was. It was a night and day experience compared to Waze...so even if it gets the traffic right, it's still not going to have the comments (Wazers report which lanes accidents are blocking, as an example) or speed traps listed.