Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WBAC Shock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supply and demand - lots of MY delivered. lots of used M3 hitting market. Many factors at play
It’s this imho. 8k MYs registered in September, how many thousands of M3s were traded for those. Plus MY owners hoping to flip (I am sure there are some).

This is a Tesla thing not a market wide thing. My old Discovery has moved about £1k from £59k to £58k down since May, and still sits £7k higher than its April 2021 valuation when I started monitoring it. But there is no glut of supply with Land Rovers.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
WBAC has dropped my March 2022 MY with 7k miles down to £51k, but Motorway are still showing £58k. I paid £57k for it new in March. My wife very recently traded her early 2021 M3 LR with 20k+ miles for a new MY and Tesla trade-in was £47k (the car was £48k new in Dec 2020). Happy days!

I was thinking of ordering another MY, as I could potentially refresh it for around £1-2k, but I think I'll sit it out for a little while. Winter trade-ins are historically poor across the industry and may well pick up again in spring. I guess a lot depends on new car delivery times when trading in a nearly new car. Production delays in the second half of this year certainly helped used Tesla values.

Further confirmation actually went thru a Motorway auction yesterday as I had my eye on something nice and on an agreed reserve of £46+ final bid was under £42.
Glad you got a result! Out if interest - you say the Tesla was a 2020 model - but what month was it registered (if you don't mind me asking) - makes a big difference!

I tried to sell a car through Motorway recently - they had a 'reserve' of £35,500 on it but I challenged them on the meaning of the word 'reserve' because in a normal auction bids under that amount would not register. They told me it was actually a 'guide price' in reality and bids could be under that. Well, the top bid was £34k. I then went through WBAC who offered £34,450 and I handed the car over to them the same afternoon!

Glad you got a result! Out if interest - you say the Tesla was a 2020 model - but what month was it registered (if you don't mind me asking) - makes a big difference!

I tried to sell a car through Motorway recently - they had a 'reserve' of £35,500 on it but I challenged them on the meaning of the word 'reserve' because in a normal auction bids under that amount would not register. They told me it was actually a 'guide price' in reality and bids could be under that. Well, the top bid was £34k. I then went through WBAC who offered £34,450 and I handed the car over to them the same afternoon!
Yeah, I didn’t take it because that extra £5k made me realise it probably want the time to be buying a car… then had a hateful journey down from Flint to Cardiff arriving at 1% after charging to 80…
It’s July 20

That's useful to know. I did get the impression Motorway estimates were on the optimistic side at the moment and WBAC a bit low.
Not necessarily. I sold my 2021 Merc GLA via Motorway in Sept. The online quote was £37300, but the final offer I got was £38600!!!... I bought the car last year's Sept for £35.5k, a tidy profit of £3k after 1 year and 8000 miles. Not bad!
Tesla trade in offered 33.5k, and WBAC offered £34.5k (but knowing WBAC they'll knock the quote way down for any minor imperfections)

All depends on what the car is and how tidy it is on Motorway in my experience.

My X3 M40d went 2 weeks ago via them. WBAC offered 31k, motorway reserve was 32.5k and the bids ended at 34.5k. Car was mint and presented as such, no haggling from the dealer and cash was paid same day they collected it.

Not necessarily. I sold my 2021 Merc GLA via Motorway in Sept. The online quote was £37300, but the final offer I got was £38600!!!... I bought the car last year's Sept for £35.5k, a tidy profit of £3k after 1 year and 8000 miles. Not bad!
Tesla trade in offered 33.5k, and WBAC offered £34.5k (but knowing WBAC they'll knock the quote way down for any minor imperfections)
Yeah lots of variables at play. I was talking specifically about Tesla prices on WBAC vs Motorway at this precise moment in time (which is probably already history). Of course it changes all the time. Valuations for my MY have fluctuated up and down by £7k over the last couple of weeks! Motorway estimate is currently the highest by some margin, which is why I thought it was optimistic.