Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WCEH to offer Tesla charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that the WCEH (West Coast Electric Highway) group is about to make significant upgrades to their charging network. The WCEH was originally CHAdeMO (and L2) only. These upgrades are intended to add CCS and other compatibility to all their original sites. From: West Coast Electric Highway to Receive Extensive Upgrade from EVCS : EVCS Blog

"This upgrade will replace existing CHAdeMO-only DC fast chargers with new DC fast chargers that have both CCS-combo and CHAdeMO DCFC charging capability, which will allow all Oregon EV drivers to use the WCEH stations. The existing Level 2 AC chargers will also be replaced with new equipment. Another new feature will be a 110V outlet for e-bikes and e-scooters. For Tesla drivers, a CHAdeMO adaptor will be available for use at all EVCS stations."

Not sure where they are getting the CHAdeMO adapters from - unless they have a special deal with Tesla.

Interestingly, with newer Teslas already coming equipped with CCS protocol compatible charge ports, all they really need is a Tesla "hose" that speaks CCS. No adapter needed. This would be nice as it would remove the kW limit of the adapters. Of course that won't work with older Teslas. So just to add to the confusion, they could have a case where stations have four hoses: Normal CCS, CCS with Tesla plug, normal CHAdeMO, and CHAdeMO adaptered Tesla...

OTOH, perhaps the hose with the Tesla plug could automagically determine if the car side has the CCS compatible charge port or not. Then contactors within the charger could switch between native CCS or a CHAdeMO adapter protocol. That would be the ideal.

Food for thought.

If they are only installing 50kW stations, there is no benefit to using a "Tesla CCS" cable. They should just copy EVgo and bolt a Tesla CHAdeMO adapter on the side with a longer cable on the Tesla plug end.

One would hope that when upgrading all those chargers, the new ones would support much faster than 50 kW. And a "Tesla CCS" cable would eliminate the adapter restrictions to allow the higher speeds. (Granted it would also introduce considerable confusion with some owners of pre-CCS compatible Teslas...) Time will tell.

One would hope that when upgrading all those chargers, the new ones would support much faster than 50 kW. And a "Tesla CCS" cable would eliminate the adapter restrictions to allow the higher speeds. (Granted it would also introduce considerable confusion with some owners of pre-CCS compatible Teslas...) Time will tell.
Ok, I see that they are upgrading to 100kW+ chargers. The CHAdeMO adapter is really not optimal then. However, the spotty native CCS compatibility of Tesla cars currently on the road in North America would make the "Tesla CCS" cable very problematic from a support standpoint.

In the summer of 2020, EVCS acquired the WCEH and will begin working with state and federal DOTs to upgrade all chargers with both CHAdeMO and CCS (Combined Charging System) connectors later in the year. In addition, certain locations with high utilization rates will merit additional chargers and higher 100+ kW outputs.
maybe I take that back now that I read it again. Many sites will probably remain 50kW. Only "certain locations" will be upgraded with additional units or higher power.

Ok, I see that they are upgrading to 100kW+ chargers. The CHAdeMO adapter is really not optimal then. However, the spotty native CCS compatibility of Tesla cars currently on the road in North America would make the "Tesla CCS" cable very problematic from a support standpoint.

It is somewhat problematic even with the current EVgo style CHAdeMO-Tesla adapter. I used one when I was up in the Seattle area over Thanksgiving week. Worked great for me - as I was all set up with EVgo before hand (and tested at Luckys @ Foothill Expy.) But not so much for a Model X owner who showed up just as I was about to leave. He only had 10 miles range left, and there were no Superchargers nearby. He also had zero experience with EVgo. I tried to help him, even using my EVgo card to make it through the authentication. But he ran into more technical problems, and I really had to leave. (SWMBO was 'patiently' waiting for me to pick her up...) When I left him, he was furiously trying to call the EVgo help line, and I also suggested he call Tesla roadside support. In retrospect, I should have looked at plugshare as there were some nearby L2s that he could have used.

So when it comes to third party networks, it often still isn't a seamless experience.

So, EVCS has been hard at work replacing these older Webasto/Aeronvironment chargers! A lot of them in Oregon have been replaced. But...

I haven't had any luck getting charging to work at these new EVCS installed chargers and with the CHAdeMO adapter.
I've tried three spots (Veneta, Scappoose, Cascade Locks) and can't get them going! It's not my adapter as I've been able to charge at three other spots non-EVCS (Chargepoints, Electric Avenue, etc.)