Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WD SSD blowing front USBs in M3???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got report from Tesla service after my Usbs at the front keep working intermittently and at times don’t work at all for a few days.

they said my SSD is blowing the refuse and this will keep happening... so if I keep using this for sentry it will outside of warranty.

it seems strange to me but they said that I should use Samsung SSD or a sandrive USB as recommended by them? I have not seen this recommendation anywhere to be fair.
I also seen this drive recommended here by others... do you think this is possible?
Do you use either of the WD SSD or the Tesla recommended ones? Have you had this happen?

here below is the report and what I use..

Attachments

• E29DA01F-EBB9-47A5-860D-0DD9E0191EF5.jpeg
    E29DA01F-EBB9-47A5-860D-0DD9E0191EF5.jpeg
    109.2 KB · Views: 97
  • 739A8CAD-FBE6-4114-B3FA-1C64E5818D51.jpeg
    739A8CAD-FBE6-4114-B3FA-1C64E5818D51.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 79
  • C914FCF9-DC42-4B80-BB70-32799FC871C7.jpeg
    C914FCF9-DC42-4B80-BB70-32799FC871C7.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 61
Sigh. I suspect Tesla just looking at an excuse - unless your device really does have a fault. If it is indeed drawing excessive current, then there are devices to measure current draw on USB devices.

tbh, if this issue occurred quite frequently I would, if possible, run without any media drive for a while. Then push it back at them if the problem reoccurred - they then cannot blame your media type.

Going forward, I would go with an micro SD media card and adaptor based on an Endurance media, ideally Endurance Max version (eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Endurance-Monitoring-Dashcams-MicroSDXC/dp/B084CJ9T2R) or whatever the designation is.

M.2 power consumption isn't large at all, although (surprisingly) larger than a 2.5" SSD it looks to be well below the maximum you'd expect it to handle (a charging phone will draw somewhat more).

Stick an old hard drive in there and maybe you could talk about blowing fuses...

Just got report from Tesla service after my Usbs at the front keep working intermittently and at times don’t work at all for a few days.

they said my SSD is blowing the refuse and this will keep happening... so if I keep using this for sentry it will outside of warranty.

it seems strange to me but they said that I should use Samsung SSD or a sandrive USB as recommended by them? I have not seen this recommendation anywhere to be fair.
I also seen this drive recommended here by others... do you think this is possible?
Do you use either of the WD SSD or the Tesla recommended ones? Have you had this happen?

here below is the report and what I use..
Best to eliminate a few things if you can?

1. Dodgy cable could cause it (cable bent too much) or the pins in the usb could cause it (VCC touching ground) - cheap replacement on ebay around which cost only a few quid
2. The case that holds the SSD could have a dodgy connector or the board inside has a short somewhere.
3. SSD has a short (less likely as WD are well known for good quality)

If you have a spare (or dont mind buying) case or cable, its worth a shot.

Thanks everyone for the comments!

I was thinking that it is unlikely that the drive is causing the issue but I made the silly mistake of leaving the SSD in the car! 🙄
So now they just found an excuse to blame it on me.

and I feel like if I have this problem again they will want proof that I’m using one of the two solutions above.
Which is kind of annoying as the cheapest Samsung SSD is like £60+ and I have no use for the current one either..

especially after my whole windscreen saga Tesla service I don’t think is very keen on me tbh... so I don’t know 🤷‍♀️

The USB-A ports are rated for 2A. If a USB SSD drive is pulling more than that, there's something wrong there.

It wouldn't have occured to me to have removed it from the car either. Also - where it is said that Tesla "recommend" Samsung SSDs? Why would they recommend anything other than the USB pen drive that they provide?

EDIT: Also what has the efuse blowing got to do with "it is failing to work intermittently on the left side"? Sounds to me like you had a dodgy USB hub, or even just a dodgy connection at the back. Maybe see how you get on with it now, with nothing else changed.

Last edited:
Seems perfectly reasonable to me, if they can see the eFuse blows I would suspect a clients USB devices too. The proof will be if there is no longer an issue without the drive connected.

Just buy a £23 Samsung drive which seems to be the same as Tesla supply and have done with it. I've been using a similar one for the last 18 months.

The usb port should not be supplying more than the specification states anyway, so if the efuse is blowing then the port is at fault regardless. It could be that the device is at fault as well, but that doesn't forgive the port.

The efuse is the last level of protection for any usb port, not the first.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel
Thanks everyone for the comments!

I was thinking that it is unlikely that the drive is causing the issue but I made the silly mistake of leaving the SSD in the car! 🙄
So now they just found an excuse to blame it on me.

and I feel like if I have this problem again they will want proof that I’m using one of the two solutions above.
Which is kind of annoying as the cheapest Samsung SSD is like £60+ and I have no use for the current one either..

especially after my whole windscreen saga Tesla service I don’t think is very keen on me tbh... so I don’t know 🤷‍♀️
The USB-A ports are rated for 2A. If a USB SSD drive is pulling more than that, there's something wrong there.

It wouldn't have occured to me to have removed it from the car either. Also - where it is said that Tesla "recommend" Samsung SSDs? Why would they recommend anything other than the USB pen drive that they provide?

EDIT: Also what has the efuse blowing got to do with "it is failing to work intermittently on the left side"? Sounds to me like you had a dodgy USB hub, or even just a dodgy connection at the back. Maybe see how you get on with it now, with nothing else changed.
do they provide USBs or SSDs? I’d didn’t get nothing 🙄

I would be tempted to check with my existing one but if anything happens I’ll be in trouble?! As they clearly stated they will not cover it under warranty.
I have already got a Rocky relationship with the SC since they’ve damaged my car over 50% of my service visits. They just literally did a clay bar at my windscreen and it now needs a replacement (which they don’t want to cover) despite causing the damage FFS.

I honestly am worried that will be trying to dismiss my issues and just try to blame me for anything and everything... 😔😔

But on the other hand what if I get this Samsung drive they recommend and the problem happens again (I hope not!) but they blame me regardless saying they warned me?

There was a cabin refresh in late 2020 where Tesla also added an USB connector inside the glovebox. The glovebox being lockable means a more secure location for sentry footage and included was/is a Tesla branded USB stick which seems to be from Samsung.
Yup, this is what Tesla supply ....

it's the same as the Samsung drive I linked that's cheaper.

Reactions: Blueskye
There was a cabin refresh in late 2020 where Tesla also added an USB connector inside the glovebox. The glovebox being lockable means a more secure location for sentry footage and included was/is a Tesla branded USB stick which seems to be from Samsung.
Ohhhhh! My car is from March 2020, so I have the old design unfortunately 😭😭😭
I’d really love the sentry in the glovebox and the power trunk 😔😔

Yup, this is what Tesla supply ....

it's the same as the Samsung drive I linked that's cheaper.
So just to understand that USB is rated for sentry? As £33 is not too bad I’m and I wouldn’t mind getting one of those to be honest, less cabling and bulk than my current setup!

I collected my car on Saturday afternoon and last night I started getting “Power reduced errors” they came back no matter what (exiting the car and getting back as recommended a few times, hard reset, power off for 5+mins, etc).
Service is booked as recommended by the car..

I’m wondering if they could have messed up some connectors to the battery or similar when replacing the USB hub? 🤔
Or is it unrelated?

I seem to be living at the SC. My neighbours think I own several Model S rather than my 3! (That’s how many I had in the past 1 year, like 8+ model S! 😳)