Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We Are All Very Lucky

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally agree that we're lucky to be driving the Model S, but making these comparisons to economy cars is kind of ridiculous. I totally understand preferring a Model S to an M5 or S63 or RS6 or Panamera, and that's a fair BEV vs ICE comparison, but talking about Altima's and 328's doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Either way, it's nice to be reminded of how good the car is and not take it for granted ;).

i tried to restrict my comments to features that go across a wide range of models, including much higher end versions. I was not knocking the 328i for the lack of higher end features for instance.

Totally true. I'm in a rental today as well. I just can't get over how we considered this to be normal and fine. The car itself wouldn't be as bad, but the entire ICE concept and drive train is just so annoying and bad.

Tesla: you push the pedal down, you accelerate. You push it more, you accelerate more.
ICE: you push it down, you feel a little bit of acceleration, but not enough, You push it down more, nothing happens, you get annoyed, you push it down more, the car jerks, gets noisy and vibrates and suddenly accelerates. Now it accelerates more than you wanted, so you let of the pedal. Grrr...

How many times have you walked away from the Altima with the engine still running and the doors unlocked? :biggrin:

In my wife's Cayenne I occasionally work the wiper instead of putting it in reverse.

Every so often I get out to hear her say "Running." At least Porsche puts the ignition to the left of the steering wheel.

I've grown out of this one, but in the early months with the S, the first stop in her Cayenne would take me by surprise...no regen braking.

- - - Updated - - -

BMW M5 and similar.

My previous daily driver was an M5 with the SMG tranny.

Two things I don't miss. From time to time when coming to a stop, the 7 speed would slam into first. It felt as if you were rear-ended. The other annoying thing was that it didn't like to almost come to a stop, but then accelerate. It felt like a first timer struggling to work the clutch.

Luck always plays a role.

Perhaps but I am of the view that we make our own luck, and that luck, for the most part, is created by effort and not by accident. Now, a lot people get a "lucky" break in their career, by being "in the right place at the right time" but just being in that place, and not at home on the couch, created your luck. However, if you won a Tesla in a lottery, or inherited the funds to buy a Tesla, then of course, it's only luck and not effort.

I guess you could say we are lucky to be born in a first world country to be able to earn money to buy a Tesla but the answer to that one is not everyone born here can afford to buy one so where's the luck for them?

Or we're lucky to have Tesla to be able to buy one from. I agree there.

Techmaven,
I am curious how the rental process worked when you had your car in for repairs. I believe your accident was the other party's fault so their insurance should cover the rental. Did you request higher-end vehicles due to the loss of access to the Model S (as opposed to the standard rental car crap)? Also, did you request reimbursement for gas? Since I "drive on sunshine" having to pay for gas while my Tesla's in the body shop could be considered a legitimate loss IMO.

Perhaps but I am of the view that we make our own luck, and that luck, for the most part, is created by effort and not by accident. Now, a lot people get a "lucky" break in their career, by being "in the right place at the right time" but just being in that place, and not at home on the couch, created your luck. However, if you won a Tesla in a lottery, or inherited the funds to buy a Tesla, then of course, it's only luck and not effort.

I guess you could say we are lucky to be born in a first world country to be able to earn money to buy a Tesla but the answer to that one is not everyone born here can afford to buy one so where's the luck for them?

Or we're lucky to have Tesla to be able to buy one from. I agree there.

lol, way to overanalyze my comment :p I didn't say that luck is the main reason that all of us have Tesla's, just that [accidental] luck always plays a role in everyone's [non-accidental] success.

We're lucky for a lot of reasons, some of which you listed. Born in a first world country, out of poverty. Not being hit by a bus on the way to work today. And I'm sure everyone's had a "lucky break" at some point in their careers, as you pointed out, there must have been a lot of effort before that, but if they were unlucky, they would have been passed up for that promotion/raise/etc.

This comes up a lot, but honestly I've never even come close to doing this in an ICE car. In fact, even after almost 3 years with my Model S, I still sometimes reach up towards where an ignition switch would be momentarily before getting out. What I do all the time in my wife's ICE is end up engaging the wipers when I'm trying to shift gears! So far, haven't ended up shifting gears in the Model S when I'm trying to turn on the wipers.

I've engaged AutoPilot on loaners when I mean to indicate a turn. Talk about scary!!!!

Techmaven,
I am curious how the rental process worked when you had your car in for repairs. I believe your accident was the other party's fault so their insurance should cover the rental. Did you request higher-end vehicles due to the loss of access to the Model S (as opposed to the standard rental car crap)? Also, did you request reimbursement for gas? Since I "drive on sunshine" having to pay for gas while my Tesla's in the body shop could be considered a legitimate loss IMO.

I'm in an other-party-insurance-provided rental too. I never thought about pushing for something nicer, or for gas reimbursement. But that was before driving around in a CAMRYLE for four days. I'm considering it now!

And I admit I'm spoiled rotten, I admit it at least once a day when Freewaying my "regular old" classic S85!

Ughh, I hate comparisons like this.

Of course anyone driving an $80K+ car is lucky

Of course anyone driving an $80K+ car is going to feel like they're roughing it when driving a $20K-$30K rental.

If you drive an $90K MB, Porsche, or BMW you'd likely have more mixed thoughts. Like geesh I wish it drove like the Tesla, but I like this, this and that and I wish the Tesla had that.

How many times have you walked away from the Altima with the engine still running and the doors unlocked? :biggrin:

Done it to my Prius 4 times now. Each time I come back and the car is still powered on and amazingly nobody has taken it. The problem with the Prius is the engine stops running at low speeds or while stopped.

My MS has made me stupid :scared:

Ughh, I hate comparisons like this.

Of course anyone driving an $80K+ car is lucky

Of course anyone driving an $80K+ car is going to feel like they're roughing it when driving a $20K-$30K rental.

If you drive an $90K MB, Porsche, or BMW you'd likely have more mixed thoughts. Like geesh I wish it drove like the Tesla, but I like this, this and that and I wish the Tesla had that.
Well, I was driving a $130k MBZ GL63, and I can't stand it now! All those damn buttons; no touchscreen; that stop/start cr@p; and the noise! Oh, the noise!

You're right, but honestly, those two cars are not even in the same class. An Altima would compare with things like a Hyundai Sonata, Chevy Malibu, Mazda6 and such, so for sure the Model S is going to appear superior. The Model S would compare with cars like the Porsche Panamera, BMW M5 and similar.

Really? Must be a point of view. I don't think any of those compare.

Try filling your M5 in your garage overnight, for free, or at least for about a quarter of what they pay for fuel.

Try getting your Porsche Panamera to beat me at a stop light.

Luxury? Personal opinion. Comfort? I have osteoarthritis. My most comfortable chair is my Tesla.

Drive across the country for free? C'mon. Not even close. Not even Toyota Yaris.

I live where there are lots of "luxury sport sedans". Maserati is big here. Goes along with stupid money.

Amazing what Tesla has done in only 3 years, while these others are treading water, slowly drowning.

All you need to do to remind yourself of how fortunate we are to drive the MS is rent a car. Currently driving a rental Nissan Altima (which I honestly thought would be okay) and all I can think about is how superior the Tesla is. Our cars aren't just better, they are basically nothing like a regular car. Imagine going back to regular definition TV. That's how bad it would be to have someone take away my Tesla.

Cheers!

I don't need to rent a car. I had to drive my pick-up truck this morning to take care of some errands for which the Model S is unqualified, and I hated nearly every aspect of the driving experience... and this is the pickup truck that I used to refer to as "the single most comfortable long-distance driving vehicle I have ever driven".

Really? Must be a point of view. I don't think any of those compare.
I love Tesla, but at some point you need to be a little objective. I know the Tesla kool-aid is tempting, but it's not the best car on the planet in every way (it's close :D).

Try filling your M5 in your garage overnight, for free, or at least for about a quarter of what they pay for fuel.
We get it, ICE cars use gasoline. It's unfortunate, but it doesn't mean you can no longer compare them.

Try getting your Porsche Panamera to beat me at a stop light.
0-60 and 1/4 mile times are a somewhat pointless number. Go race that Panamera turbo, M5, RS6, etc. etc. for a half mile. Race from a roll on the freeway and do a 60-130. The tables are easily turned. EV doesn't do so well at higher speeds. But people like to just focus on what EV's are good at and gloss over the fact that in terms of raw horsepower, the Model S is still significantly lacking compared to fast ICE cars.

Luxury? Personal opinion. Comfort? I have osteoarthritis. My most comfortable chair is my Tesla.
My old BMW 550i was $25k less expensive than my Model S. The seats were air conditioned and massaged me while driving. They were also more ergonomic, more adjustable, and more comfortable. The interior materials and quality in the Model S are NOT anywhere near what I would consider to be standard in a $100k luxury car. The Model S, from an interior luxury standpoint, is a downgrade compared to $100k luxury cars.

The Tesla does a lot of things better than any ICE car can. There are still things ICE cars do better than the Tesla. People need to stop pretending otherwise. It's a great car, but to say you "can't compare" it to an M5, RS6, S63, etc, is a joke. I compared it, and chose the Tesla. But some people have different priorities.