Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We Are Considering the Purchase of a Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2012 Nissan Leaf is getting 'long in the tooth' even though it has logged < 36,000 genuine miles. At 80 years, we, too are long in the tooth.

After 50 years in Palo Alto, CA where we had a 2004 Prius as an occasional longer road trip vehicle, we are now in Charlottesville, VA, where I am assured we will see a little snow each winter. There are many local destinations beyond the range of our Leaf. After some research, we are considering the purchase of a used Model S rather than a new Model 3.

Are we on the right track?

How does the Model S handle in snow and ice? We are graduates (1962) of the Univ. of Minnesota, Minneapolis, so we know about snow, at least in a 1950's VW Beetle. Does it need to be the AWD version to get around well.

How likely are we to find a car that has supercharging privileges included?

How sensitive is the range to lower and/or high ambient temperatures, say below 50F and above 90F?

The most expensive operating cost for our Leaf (delivered in Dec 2011) has been two tires that suffered sidewall damage from potholes and/or curbs. What has been drivers experience with the wheels delivered on the Model S.

Are there other questions I should have asked?

thanks,
baumgrenze
I sold my 2012 LEAF in 2016 to get my model S 90D. I don't miss the LEAF even a little. With the larger range of the model S, the difference in winter range is not such a big deal as it is in the LEAF. I remember worrying about making my 50-mile round trip to work in the winter in the LEAF, trying to decide if I needed to turn off the heat on the way home. In the Model S, the low battery warning comes on with 50 miles or more left, where you start on the LEAF. You won't worry about winter range. The big battery (especially compared to the 2011 LEAF) makes a huge difference. Supercharging totally enables going on road trips in the S.

My 90D handles great in the snow, and even better when I put on Nokian WRG4 tires, which I ride year round.

A used S is a great idea.

Model S is a great idea. Handles well in the snow. 90D is great for road trips but with the build out of the Supercharger network a 75 would do well also. I believe 2016 was rated as one of the best by Consumer Reports. Mine has been pretty much trouble free. I know I am echoing much of what has been said. I routinely get 50000+ miles on my Michelin Pilot A/S 3 tires. I have free unlimited supercharging: it's over rated and if you find the right car and it does not have it I would not consider that a reason to reject. Now that A Better Route Planner shows estimated charging costs I realize that a trip from FL-OH is only about $75. Much less than a gas powered car. You will do most of your charging at home anyway. I am old enough to say that I have no problems getting in and out of the MS. Only slightly younger than you. Good luck.

I have owned 2 Model S vehicles, a Model X and my mom has a Model 3 that I have driven from Las Vegas to Arizona. I just rented a Model Y for 3 days on Turo. Hands down, the Model Y is the best Tesla that has been produced so far. My mom hit her head getting into the Model 3. I have had several people hit their heads trying to get into the Model S - it is a low car and you have to go down to get into it and it is tough to get out of when you are ready to depart the vehicle. The Model Y was so easy to get into and to get out of. I have sold all of my Tesla vehicles or turned them in (Model X lease). I am saving up for the Model Y Long Range AWD (blue with towing package and white seats). It has a 316 mile range and a heat pump which is great for winter climates.

Brent

I also weighted used model S against model 3 and Y. I ended up buying two model S (P85+ and 70D). Love them.
I live in north midwest and have snow in the winter, even the RWD P85+ handled fine with snow tires. The AWD 70D has been fine with all-season tires. For me, the model S was the only Tesla I would buy (maybe the X too, but I felt that I wouldn't enjoy the 3 or Y).

Thank you to everyone for all your detailed input.

What should a TESLA MODEL S (5YJS) - 70D AWD with just under 30,000 miles on it be worth?

It has a call-back number, suggesting a dealership. It is offered with Covers 4 years or 50,000 miles from when you take delivery. Battery & drive unit warranty valid through March 2025, unlimited miles. It includes free supercharging.

Given all the informed input above, can anyone recommend a VIN check website that gives good value for the $ spent?

thanks again to everyone,
baumgrenze

What should a TESLA MODEL S (5YJS) - 70D AWD with just under 30,000 miles on it be worth?

It has a call-back number, suggesting a dealership. It is offered with Covers 4 years or 50,000 miles from when you take delivery. Battery & drive unit warranty valid through March 2025, unlimited miles. It includes free supercharging.

Given all the informed input above, can anyone recommend a VIN check website that gives good value for the $ spent?

Except for the last 6 digits of the VIN the numbers tell a bit more about the car. The first 4 (5YJS) indicate it is a Tesla. The middle numbers tell when the car was built and how it is equipped. The last 6 digits are unique to a particular vehicle. You don't mention the year of the car and I don't remember the last year a 70D was produced but I think it was 2015. Kelly Blue Book lists prices ranging from a dealer ($39,000) to a private party ($35000). Full option list on the car will skew those slightly.

Thanks for the reply.
I poked some more and found this:

2017 Tesla Model S 100D / 60D / 75D / 90D / P100D
VIN: 5YJSA1E22HF188510

Style / Body: Sedan
Engine: Electric Performance / Standard 0

Country of Assembly: United States

Here is what the seller says:

Key Features
  • Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint
  • 19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
  • Tan Leather Tesla Premium Seats
  • Full Self-Driving Capability
  • Free Supercharging
  • Body Color Roof
  • HEPA Air Filtration System
  • Subzero Weather Package
  • Keyless Entry
  • Power Liftgate
  • GPS Enabled Homelink
  • Figured Ash Wood Décor
  • Integrated Center Console
  • Light Headliner

Free Unlimited Supercharging is available to the next buyer of this car but is not transferable to subsequent owners upon sale. Supercharger idle fees may still apply.

* Figures based on testing new vehicles to EPA standards. Vehicle range may change depending on battery age and condition, vehicle configuration, driving style, environmental and climate change.

Warranty

4 years / 50,000 miles

Limited Warranty

Covers 4 years or 50,000 miles from when you take delivery. Battery & drive unit warranty valid through March 2025, unlimited miles.

Clean History
This vehicle has a clean history verified by a third party

thanks,
baumgrenze

Thanks for the reply.
I poked some more and found this:

2017 Tesla Model S 100D / 60D / 75D / 90D / P100D
VIN: 5YJSA1E22HF188510

Style / Body: Sedan
Engine: Electric Performance / Standard 0

Country of Assembly: United States

Here is what the seller says:

Key Features

• Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint
    • 19" Silver Slipstream Wheels
    • Tan Leather Tesla Premium Seats
    • Full Self-Driving Capability
    • Free Supercharging
    • Body Color Roof
    • HEPA Air Filtration System
    • Subzero Weather Package
    • Keyless Entry
    • Power Liftgate
    • GPS Enabled Homelink
    • Figured Ash Wood Décor
    • Integrated Center Console
    • Light Headliner
Free Unlimited Supercharging is available to the next buyer of this car but is not transferable to subsequent owners upon sale. Supercharger idle fees may still apply.

* Figures based on testing new vehicles to EPA standards. Vehicle range may change depending on battery age and condition, vehicle configuration, driving style, environmental and climate change.

Warranty

4 years / 50,000 miles

Limited Warranty

Covers 4 years or 50,000 miles from when you take delivery. Battery & drive unit warranty valid through March 2025, unlimited miles.

Clean History
This vehicle has a clean history verified by a third party

thanks,
baumgrenze

Make sure you research FULLY what it means to buy a used car from Tesla. It's not for the faint of heart and it's important to know what you're getting into before you pull the trigger. It's like nothing you've ever experienced and not in a good way either.

From post #16:

Also, research the Tesla used car program before you buy. It's pretty much a nightmare factory these days.

Reactions: BlindPass
The car is incredibly heavy and I thought it was too heavy to skid on ice, that was true for a while, but I was wrong on a particular day when there was solid ice underneath fresh snow - fortunately it was a turn at a low speed and there was no damage - but yes, it can skid with regular all season tires. Long story short, in our canadian winters, I decided to put snow tires on them and it handled much better on ice and snow. I don't know if there's a difference between awd and rwd in winter, I have an awd. I think for real winter conditions, the tires make a bigger difference.