Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We Are Considering the Purchase of a Used Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our 2012 Nissan Leaf is getting 'long in the tooth' even though it has logged < 36,000 genuine miles. At 80 years, we, too are long in the tooth.

After 50 years in Palo Alto, CA where we had a 2004 Prius as an occasional longer road trip vehicle, we are now in Charlottesville, VA, where I am assured we will see a little snow each winter. There are many local destinations beyond the range of our Leaf. After some research, we are considering the purchase of a used Model S rather than a new Model 3.

Are we on the right track?

How does the Model S handle in snow and ice? We are graduates (1962) of the Univ. of Minnesota, Minneapolis, so we know about snow, at least in a 1950's VW Beetle. Does it need to be the AWD version to get around well.

How likely are we to find a car that has supercharging privileges included?

How sensitive is the range to lower and/or high ambient temperatures, say below 50F and above 90F?

The most expensive operating cost for our Leaf (delivered in Dec 2011) has been two tires that suffered sidewall damage from potholes and/or curbs. What has been drivers experience with the wheels delivered on the Model S.

Are there other questions I should have asked?

thanks,
baumgrenze

It really depends on what you are looking for. The Model S is roomier and heavier than the 3. It handles well in the snow. I have an AWD and most Model S cars built after 2015 are AWD, but you could get by with a RWD. All Model S cars after the original 60’s are supercharger enabled, but only a few will have free supercharging. Supercharging rates are still less than what you would party for gas and would be fine for road trips. You really should install a 240V outlet in your garage for home charging. That will handle most of your needs. Weather does affect range but in my experience it doesn’t drop a whole lot until the temps are below about 40F. Hot weather does not have much of an effect. For me the standard 19 inch tires last about 25,000 miles. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ron Burgundy
...Are we on the right track?...

Hi Baumgrenze:

That depends on what you want.

In principle, I would get the longest range that I can get and the latest model too.

So, if you have extra money, I would get a new Model S Long Range Plus.

...How does the Model S handle in snow and ice?...

It works well in Norway so it should be fine for your VA winter too. The important thing is: You should have winter tires for winter.

...Does it need to be the AWD version to get around well...

AWD helps but more importantly: winter tires!

...How likely are we to find a car that has supercharging privileges included?...

It's in the grey area if it's not documented that it was bought in the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement".

If it's not documented there, it could mean it's goodwill from Tesla for the current owner and not enforceable for the next owner.

Remember, Elon Musk did say in the blog:

“We are giving Model S the ability to drive almost anywhere for free on pure sunlight.”

But if it's not translated into the "Motor Vehicle Purchase Agreement" then, good luck in getting it!

...How sensitive is the range to lower and/or high ambient temperatures, say below 50F and above 90F?...

Heater uses much more energy than Air Conditioner.

In your example, I could be very comfortable with the ambient temperature of 50F under the sun that heats my cabin up and I only need to turn on the fan to draw in fresh air which would barely use as much as the summer Air Conditioner.

...What has been drivers experience with the wheels delivered on the Model S...

Model S is a big car that I was not used to with so I hit the curb and scraped the rim right away!

But the tires should last a long time for years you use standard size ones and not driving aggressively.

Good luck!

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
My tips for you...

* Stick with the 19" wheels and tires on the S for lower cost and less issues
* You don't say how old of a Model S you're considering, but be aware that earlier models have common problem areas: door handles that will need to be rebuilt with later parts, center screens that form internal bubbles because of goop leak, main computer memory issues that will cause repair or replacement, potential drive motor noise / grinding issues (all original drive motors will need to be replaced to get a later/better design so check if the one you're buying has had it done already).
* I own an older Model S and a newer Model 3, and honestly, I think you're better off with the newer tech of the Model 3 (unless there is a reason why you need the larger Model S). There are 3's on the used market that can be had cheaper as well...

Reactions: TheFro
For me, there is something about these older Model S Tesla's that I love. Two different times at the service center, we were blessed to be offered a loaner. Each one was I believe a 2014. The first one, Noted with the tag in front was a P85. The second one the other week was an S60. Both were non autopilot and I was ok with that. I loved the drive of both of them. I found that the S60 was no slouch. I love the performance that it offered. They both were very dirty, but I fixed that. We'll I'm rambling but I'll just leave you with this. I think you will love any older model S that you find.
As most are saying, Range is King. I did have a 75 RWD 2017 for a year before selling to purchase the X. We did one trip up north during the winter. Lucky for us, there was not much snow at that time of the drive which was over Christmas. It did well with the bit of snow we came across. There was a little pucker going over the Pocono one night heading to Ohio from PA. Rear Wheel Drive or All wheel drive, I feel it depends on tires anyway. Happy hunting.
IMG_20200731_113024.jpg
IMG_20200605_175520 (1).jpg
20171225_092058.jpg

I just sold my older Model S 90D for what Tesla told me they'd give me. The buyer was ecstatic. He immediately took it to Ohio and told his inlaws all about it, and they bought it from him immediately at an increased price.

The door handles were replaced years ago. The drive motor noise you mention has never occurred, but any defect I've ever had was replaced FOR FREE by Tesla. I have never even SEEN a center screen with problems or computer memory issues, so I guess they're not as common as this forum might indicate.

I have a "newer tech" Model 3 also, and the S is a far better car. I find that "used" Model 3s on the market are often short on other improvements and upgrades, as 3 buyers are trying to get a "cheap" Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: davidc18 and AMPd
You might look into a 2019-2020 Leaf Plus S if you want the budget longer range EV, and want to stay in your current service provider. Crazy discounts, federal tax credit, etc.. you can get into the low 20s before any state programs. The S+ is a more nimble car with a good 10 better range than the SV+ or SL+. Plus you get the full warranty. With Android auto and car play the nav works as well a anything.

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers
Our 2012 Nissan Leaf is getting 'long in the tooth' even though it has logged < 36,000 genuine miles. At 80 years, we, too are long in the tooth.

After 50 years in Palo Alto, CA where we had a 2004 Prius as an occasional longer road trip vehicle, we are now in Charlottesville, VA, where I am assured we will see a little snow each winter. There are many local destinations beyond the range of our Leaf. After some research, we are considering the purchase of a used Model S rather than a new Model 3.

also cant believe you've been driving a 2004 prius for 50 years, how has it held up? :eek:

Wait a sec - the S is more than just good looks.
We have a 2015 70D and a 2019 M3LR-RWD.
The S has a more comfortable ride and as a bigger car is less nimble. That is the big reason to choose it over a Y. You can also get a used S for a lot cheaper than a new Y (or used).
So if we guess OPs budget at $35k, there are a number of reasons for an S - 2 screens (not really a big deal to me), size , comfort and style.
I really don't think anything you see in Charlottesville will be what you would call snow. It might be what the locals call snow but it isn't really snow. I live in Raleigh which isn't too different (after Buffalo, Urbana, Milwaukee, and my birth place - Palo Alto).

When white stuff falls from the sky, the panic amongst the population makes car travel unneeded. Your stores and work are closed until every blade of grass can be seen. The biggest danger is the other drivers. No Tesla is a concern - the other drivers are the concern. And for you, it will be the students who will be driving in the snow for the first time near by you. STAY SAFE!

The Leaf is pretty decent too- we had a 2013 for 5 years. We did have a once in a 5 year storm and it was fine. Still took me 3 hours to go 5 miles home. Pushed more than a few student's in their older BMWs with bald tires out of the ditch - but usually just out of my way....

don’t let the idea of the RWD over AWD scare you away because of snow. The car is incredibly heavy and with its battery placement and low center of gravity both do excellent.

I had a 2013 RWD and during winter I DAILY drive through feet of snow to get home the car never ever had any issues and I still say handled better than any SUV or truck with awd I’ve had up where I live.
I currently have an AWD S. I run the same snows (nokian haakas) that i ran on my RWD S and honestly the difference is marginal at best. if given the choice I’d go AWD because the tread wear is so much better when it comes to tires.

I also disagree with “get the newer tech” that so many are fans of. The 3 and the Y are great cars don’t get me wrong, but IMO the S is their best car they’ve made. For someone coming from a Prius and a leaf as you say even the older tech will blow your mind (I also have a Prius)

my only last two cents would be this...out of warranty the car can get expensive to repair. While there are many on team dont buy used from Tesla. I am not one of them. I bought used from Tesla and it came with a BTB warranty for 2 years which is great. Any slight hassles you have will be more than made up for if something should go wring.

I purchased 2016 MS from Tesla in may. Had less than 50,00p miles so I got 50,000 mile/4 year warranty as my from Tesla. Had purchased one from Carvsna, but without an available extended warranty, I cancelled that order.

Tesla warranty makes them best place to purchase used IMHO.

I live in Colorado so I have some experience with four seasons. I think most have covered what I would say so I will just emphasize to buy a Model S with 19's and NOT 21's as you'll hate them. They look great but the 19" options are far better to live with day to day. I've also owned RWD Teslas and would't make that same mistake twice. At least here in Colorado that was a poor decision. Can it be done? Sure. It's not one of those things that's worth saving money on though unless you live in SoCal, AZ, Florida, etc. Find a 2015ish used Model S that has AWD and Autopilot and you're good to go.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that if Free Premium Data & Free Unlimited Supercharging for life (FUSC) are important to you you should be looking for used Teslas sold by private party sellers that have cars older than January 2017. Anything newer and anything sold directly by Tesla or 3rd party dealers will lose both of those features due to some recent shady moves Tesla has been making to remove these features from used cars.

Reactions: aerodyne
I purchased 2016 MS from Tesla in may. Had less than 50,00p miles so I got 50,000 mile/4 year warranty as my from Tesla. Had purchased one from Carvsna, but without an available extended warranty, I cancelled that order.

Tesla warranty makes them best place to purchase used IMHO.

The OP already asked about Unlimited Supercharging so it sounds like that's something that's important. You can find used private party cars that still have a warranty and FUSC so it would seem that for the OP of this thread buying from a private party would be the place to purchase. He can find a car that has that plus Premium data free for life and get one with a warranty still if that's something that's important to him.

Also, research the Tesla used car program before you buy. It's pretty much a nightmare factory these days.

Personally, out of the three options I'd say that buying used directly from Tesla is the worst of the bunch with 3rd party dealerships being nearly as bad (none of them have a clue what they're selling and constantly list 90D or 70D as a P100D or P90D. Ugh) and private party being the clear front runner. It would appear that lots of people tend to agree with that on this and other online communities as well. Tesla needs to stop playing games with the features people bought on their cars and get their used car program fixed.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that if Free Premium Data & Free Unlimited Supercharging for life (FUSC) are important to you you should be looking for used Teslas sold by private party sellers that have cars older than January 2017. Anything newer and anything sold directly by Tesla or 3rd party dealers will lose both of those features due to some recent shady moves Tesla has been making to remove these features from used cars.
I just pulled up used Model S on Tesla site and can see dozens of listings with free Supercharging.

I live in Colorado so I have some experience with four seasons. I think most have covered what I would say so I will just emphasize to buy a Model S with 19's and NOT 21's as you'll hate them. They look great but the 19" options are far better to live with day to day. I've also owned RWD Teslas and would't make that same mistake twice. At least here in Colorado that was a poor decision. Can it be done? Sure. It's not one of those things that's worth saving money on though unless you live in SoCal, AZ, Florida, etc. Find a 2015ish used Model S that has AWD and Autopilot and you're good to go.

That’s the second time you’ve said this and clearly it’s incorrect. Why do you keep repeating it knowing you’re wrong?

I just pulled up used Model S on Tesla site and can see dozens of listings with free Supercharging.
It's not the same thing as Free Unlimited Supercharging for life more commonly referred to as FUSC. The version you see on Tesla is added to specific cars as an incentive to help move them usually because they've been for sale for a while. it's not on all used cars Tesla sells even if it's a car that once had FUSC which was supposed to transfer from owner to owner and follow the car for the car's life w/o restrictions. There's restrictions on this version and the most notable is that it does NOT transfer to the next owned. It's for the current owner only so you don't get that benefit for resale. FUSC on the other hand will transfer free-of-charge from owner to owner so long as it's a private party buyer/seller each time.

Reactions: aerodyne