Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We are still a long way from the convenience of gas stations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did you leave your house with a full charge? How far was it from your family's house to the airport? Were there no charging options at the airport - not even a standard wall outlet?

I just did a 160 mile one-way trip through an EV charging desert to a location that only had 15A charging. I was there for a few days and was able to charge the car more than enough to return home. Many (most?) airport parking garages or parking lots have plugs these days. I think a little more research before departing would have helped you.

I don't think you properly read my initial post of what happened on this trip.

I don't understand what charging at the airport has to do with it?

Your 160 mile trip doesn't sound like my trip. Did you leave your car in one place the entire several days? Airport parking doesn't provide an option of plugging in and leaving it. No, there are NO 120V outlets that I've seen. This is an outdoor, uncovered lot.

I appreciate your advice, but it is based on a total lack of understanding of the problem. Not only have I done my research into available parking and charging having used this airport many times, I have written to the airport asking about adding 120V outlets as they would be perfect for long term parking.

Poorly titled thread.
My question is when is fueling a gas car going to catch up with the convenience of charging an EV.

For me, that is a 100% true statement. For you, it appears not. Neither your title, nor mine, is true for everyone.

Changing the type of fuel your car uses comes with a learning curve. This curve can be a very steep one, or simple depending upon many factors.

As you get more comfortable with your car, many of these things will become less of an issue.
As for changes to the TSA schedule, you really can’t blame that on the car😉

Yes, another person who did not properly read the problem statement. Please read the initial post again. This is not about the TSA schedule changing, this is about the car not being entirely predictable without extensive knowledge of the car and it's limitations. The software in the car should be much more informative given the many complications of charging an EV.

I don't think you properly read my initial post of what happened on this trip.

I don't understand what charging at the airport has to do with it?

Your 160 mile trip doesn't sound like my trip. Did you leave your car in one place the entire several days? Airport parking doesn't provide an option of plugging in and leaving it. No, there are NO 120V outlets that I've seen. This is an outdoor, uncovered lot.

I appreciate your advice, but it is based on a total lack of understanding of the problem. Not only have I done my research into available parking and charging having used this airport many times, I have written to the airport asking about adding 120V outlets as they would be perfect for long term parking.

You didn't provide answers to the my questions in your original post. You still haven't answered how far it was from your family destination to the airport. Nor have you mentioned how much charge you had when you left your house.

Charging at the airport while your car is parked while you are on your flight negates the need for the Supercharger stop prior to arriving at the airport, IF the trip from your family destination to the airport does not require an intermediate stop. That's why I asked how much charge you left your house with, and how far it was from the family to the airport. Your Model X 100 has a certain range, and that can be used to determine when/where/howlong you need to charge it.

My 160 mile trip might be a lot like your trip, if you'd tell us how far your trip was. Yes I left it parked in one spot for several days. Just like airport parking.

My advice is based on lack of understanding of the problem because you won't present us with information. Like, which airport are you going to?

These are not difficult concepts.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and Zythryn
In an ICE I would have had no concerns about the car what-so-ever. That's my point!
It was a ten minute delay, though. This is what I don't understand. You've really never been delayed by ten minutes trying to get gas? Really? It was a holiday travel weekend. I can count on more than one hand the number of times I've been travelling at peak times and pulled a rental car into a huge line trying to get to the airport (or, more commonly, dropped a rental off with an empty tank because I couldn't take the time to fill it up).

An 80 kW cap on a model X charge, even if you're starting from empty, isn't going to delay you that much. It just isn't.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
Unfortunately Musk spends so much time in California that he doesn't understand the need to plan trips in the car rather than just a single destination. I read that he finally relented and has said they will introduce waypoints sometime in the future. We'll see if they are done more usefully than the scheduled/TOU charging. What a mess that is! I have to pull up a Youtube video every time I want to use it. With the browser in the car being complete crap I do that on my phone.

its really not as complicated as you're making it out to be....

That might be true for you, but I hardly charge at home at all as it buys me little. I charge 30 miles from my house while I order a meal. If I'm pressed for range the next day I put on the cable and have 90% the next morning rather than 80%. Otherwise I charge on the road for nearly every mile.

The car seems to always be 20 or 30 miles short of the range I need. I wish they could update the model X for improved range like they've done with the 3. But Tesla doesn't really care about the S or X these days other than to promote the Plaid speed record. The models 3 and Y are the company's bread and butter... and carbon credits. If the carbon credits run out the company will be bleeding red ink.

wait you have home charging but simply dont use it? then complain about charging speeds?

You didn't provide answers to the my questions in your original post. You still haven't answered how far it was from your family destination to the airport. Nor have you mentioned how much charge you had when you left your house.

I left my house with 90% charge. It was around 60 miles to the airport from the meeting with my family. Neither of these are important. I'm sure someone will say I should have charged to 100% and some will try to figure that my usage seems abnormally high. That is not the issue.

Charging at the airport while your car is parked while you are on your flight negates the need for the Supercharger stop prior to arriving at the airport, IF the trip from your family destination to the airport does not require an intermediate stop. That's why I asked how much charge you left your house with, and how far it was from the family to the airport. Your Model X 100 has a certain range, and that can be used to determine when/where/howlong you need to charge it.

No, there is no specific range of any car. It depends on many factors, many of which are not in your control. If there was a requirement to charge to reach the airport, would the car not have told me? As I've indicated, the car never suggested that I charge even though it expected me to have less than 10% remaining charge on reaching the airport.

My 160 mile trip might be a lot like your trip, if you'd tell us how far your trip was. Yes I left it parked in one spot for several days. Just like airport parking.

My advice is based on lack of understanding of the problem because you won't present us with information. Like, which airport are you going to?

These are not difficult concepts.

Why are you being rude about this? If you don't wish to help, please just don't post.

I’m willing to bet it’s true for most Tesla owners.

Which is completely irrelevant for me. But even for "most" drivers, it's a PITA when you do go on trips. Most of my driving has been on trips longer than a tank of electrons round trip and with the various limitations of the car and charging facilities, charging at home accomplishes almost nothing for me.

What is a PITA is the fact that it is hard to find anything useful to do with the time spent at the chargers. I don't like fast food and putting chargers at gas stations is a strange idea. I guess it's at least partly for the PR rather than the convenience of the drivers. I don't like hanging around gas stations, especially now that so many people aren't wearing masks, etc.

BTW, about half the people in the US don't have the option of charging at home. I dug around one time to find numbers on the type of housing people have and given the limitations of that data, about half live in apartments, condos or town houses where they won't have the option of charging at home for a long time to come. This may become a normal thing in ten years or probably more like 15, but for now you pretty much need a single family home to have charging. So I think your claim of "most" is a bit of an exaggeration.

It was a ten minute delay, though. This is what I don't understand. You've really never been delayed by ten minutes trying to get gas? Really? It was a holiday travel weekend. I can count on more than one hand the number of times I've been travelling at peak times and pulled a rental car into a huge line trying to get to the airport (or, more commonly, dropped a rental off with an empty tank because I couldn't take the time to fill it up).

An 80 kW cap on a model X charge, even if you're starting from empty, isn't going to delay you that much. It just isn't.

Your 10 minute number is made up. I was planning to charge up to about 70-80% or something like that. My experience is that takes maybe 30-40 minutes. I thought I mentioned there were other impacts that changed my plans and I was willing to settle for less charge to get it done in the time I had. Instead I had to settle for around 55% total, the bare minimum, and it removed the last of my planned margin for arriving at the airport for holiday travel.

Yes, I've run into long lines in many places in my life. But they were never because my car didn't do what I expected it to do. That's my point. With my ICE vehicles, it is never a problem unless they literally break. With the Tesla I have to keep on my toes or I end up running late and/or getting stranded. It is as if it is always broken.

I'm tired of you wanting to minimize this. Please don't bother continuing to tell me I'm wrong.

• Disagree
Reactions: kayak1
I was planning to charge up to about 70-80% or something like that. [...] Instead I had to settle for around 55%
But... but... that's like ten minutes! 70% - 55% = 15%. 15% of 100 kWh is 15 kWh. 15 kWh / 80 kWh (your stated charging rate, though realistically it would be a bit lower beyond 60% or so) is... 0.1875 hours, or... 11.25 minutes!

I mean look, I get that you were upset. I get that you were anxious. Travel does that. It sucks. I've been there. But the idea that your car was somehow responsible for this because it got a sub-peak charging rate at one supercharger is just bananas, sorry. It's wrong, as a matter of technical fact. The delay you saw was real, BUT SMALL, and frankly inconsequential on the scale of a three hour TSA delay.

Which is completely irrelevant for me. But even for "most" drivers, it's a PITA when you do go on trips. Most of my driving has been on trips longer than a tank of electrons round trip and with the various limitations of the car and charging facilities, charging at home accomplishes almost nothing for me.

What is a PITA is the fact that it is hard to find anything useful to do with the time spent at the chargers. I don't like fast food and putting chargers at gas stations is a strange idea. I guess it's at least partly for the PR rather than the convenience of the drivers. I don't like hanging around gas stations, especially now that so many people aren't wearing masks, etc.

BTW, about half the people in the US don't have the option of charging at home. I dug around one time to find numbers on the type of housing people have and given the limitations of that data, about half live in apartments, condos or town houses where they won't have the option of charging at home for a long time to come. This may become a normal thing in ten years or probably more like 15, but for now you pretty much need a single family home to have charging. So I think your claim of "most" is a bit of an exaggeration.
out of those half that live in multi family dwellings how many own cars? millions of people dont own cars by living in dense urban areas.

Your 10 minute number is made up. I was planning to charge up to about 70-80% or something like that. My experience is that takes maybe 30-40 minutes. I thought I mentioned there were other impacts that changed my plans and I was willing to settle for less charge to get it done in the time I had. Instead I had to settle for around 55% total, the bare minimum, and it removed the last of my planned margin for arriving at the airport for holiday travel.

Yes, I've run into long lines in many places in my life. But they were never because my car didn't do what I expected it to do. That's my point. With my ICE vehicles, it is never a problem unless they literally break. With the Tesla I have to keep on my toes or I end up running late and/or getting stranded. It is as if it is always broken.

I'm tired of you wanting to minimize this. Please don't bother continuing to tell me I'm wrong.

my average charge time during a 3000 mile trip was 14 minutes. I regularly do work trips that require a SC or two for the day. its a non issue.

it of course takes more planning than a gas car. it's not parity yet. however it's not nearly the nightmare you're making it out to be. Why do you keep the tesla then if its such a chore for you to go to the corner store and back?

out of those half that live in multi family dwellings how many own cars? millions of people dont own cars by living in dense urban areas.

Are you asking about the apartment buildings and townhouses with tons of cars in the parking lots? Even people in the city typically have cars. Do you have any data on the number of people without cars? My experience is they are a small minority.

my average charge time during a 3000 mile trip was 14 minutes. I regularly do work trips that require a SC or two for the day. its a non issue.

it of course takes more planning than a gas car. it's not parity yet. however it's not nearly the nightmare you're making it out to be. Why do you keep the tesla then if its such a chore for you to go to the corner store and back?

Rather than minimizing things you don't understand, you should try to understand them.

Reactions: AlexHung
they were up to 3 hours for TSA.
Clearly flying is not getting any better. Fortunately, as flying declines, EVs are getting more convenient.
It is no surprise that something new is not as well supported as something old. Clearly, one will need to learn.
For day-to-day usage, when one can charge at home, clearly nothing is as convenient as an EV. Some road trips are more convenient, but, in some circumstances, they are less convenient or even nearly impossible (driving to Northern Canada or Alaska).
I've done many long EV road trips, even in sub-zero temperatures. If you have an EV charger at your hotels, it is generally more convenient than an ICE since. at Superchargers, you get out, plug in, then go inside until it is done charging, then go out to your warm car - easy.
If you suggest EVs must be better than any other transportation form under all conditions, you're expecting way too much. Cars (gas or EV), boats (power, nuke, or sail), airplanes (fixed wing, helicopter, or airship, space ships, bicycles, climbing ropes -- all have their places.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and kayak1