Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor We designed a better phone dock for the Model S & X. Here's how, and why.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice idea but anything that requires me to put my eyes/head that far down off the road is no good. We need a dock similar to this that is up near the dash. And NOT over the damn vents! I absolutely HATE that. I'm about to screw directly into the dash at this point. Did this on my Chrysler 300 and it worked quite well...no shaking, quick chargeable, easy of phone insert/remove....etc.

I am super happy with this product for my iPhone X.

My situation is, i have a very thin silicon case (from Amazon). Between the case and the phone, in the upper corner opposite the camera, I placed a thin metal plate (unmodified) for my magnetic mounts when NOT using this adapter.

I have obviously adjusted the fore and aft movement of this adapter which is easy. The very interesting thing is using the Tesla side guides, I found that 1 fat guide one one side and 1 thinner guide on the other somehow places the iphone precisely where it needs to be. I can slide my phone right in and right into the lightning charger without looking. The fact that this adapter has a springy "give" allows for feedback that the phone is actually plugged in. The side guides keep the phone firmly in place during acceleration.

In my case, this adapter works great. I can plug in without fuss. My magnetic mounts continue to work. And I can still induction charge.

Despite lower efficiency, I was toying with different possibilities of transforming the hinged lid of this charging area into a magnetic induction charger.... But I best leave that to the more talented members of this forum.

Cheers!

Reactions: skyline
"As for the side guide pieces, this is actually something we are currently finishing a design for, and we hope to have it ready next month! It will be a spring-loaded mechanism as well, just as you mentioned. This will allow you to insert different size phones and cases without having to switch out the side inserts."

Great that someone is addressing this shortfall with the Tesla product! Please let me know when your spring-loaded design is available for purchase so I can finally charge my I-Phone 7+ without having to remove the protective case.

Reactions: skyline
"As for the side guide pieces, this is actually something we are currently finishing a design for, and we hope to have it ready next month! It will be a spring-loaded mechanism as well, just as you mentioned. This will allow you to insert different size phones and cases without having to switch out the side inserts."

Great that someone is addressing this shortfall with the Tesla product! Please let me know when your spring-loaded design is available for purchase so I can finally charge my I-Phone 7+ without having to remove the protective case.

Hello Skyline Products

I too would like to know if something is coming for those of us with the older premium center console?

I'll be working with Mickie to view the console and see if there's potentially a different way to adapt the guides and future products. Also, I would kindly ask that you register for our mailing list to ensure you receive a notification as we proceed in development. It's at the bottom of our page at Hello Skyline Products

Thanks!