Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We Don't Need No Stinking Badges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is "Range Badging" just to simplify messaging for the mass market or is it a way for Tesla to improve margins on the cars?
We Don't Need No Stinking Badges
I think it is both.
In my opinion, both, and neither. I think the move away from even mentioning the battery capacity frees Tesla to capitalize on improvements in efficiency, and therefore the ability to deliver range with less battery capacity (and cost), by removing the battery capacity as the most visible measure of a car's capability. The standard Model 3 would seem a lot less of a car if we knew that the battery was only 50-something kwh, even though it's a car with a solid 220 miles of range. Same with the LR model, which we'd all be comparing with the 70 or 75kwh Model S, even though it soundly trounces both.

Longer term, Tesla will probably focus more on size and features, and even less on range and capacity, as both become non-issues with the improvements in battery size and the world-wide charging infrastructure. So, making this change now is good for the long term, too. Then all they need to do is get a grip on what they name their cars.

Reactions: Patrick0101
I think it so they can change the battery sizes or increases in efficiencies at will without people worrying about timing their orders. They are selling a "long range" and "standard" battery, not specific sizes. In theory they could change the battery size without notice and wouldn't have to deal with people canceling orders and calling to change to get the new larger battery; like when the 100D came out.

ETA - Scooped

Reactions: Patrick0101
Uhh. No. The below is the article's overall point. Which shows they don't know anything about Tesla.

No Badge Equals More Margin
When the range is advertised instead of the capacity, improvements to the vehicle can be used to improve the profit margin on each vehicle, rather than increase the range. For example, say they make a small improvement to the inverter, motor, weight reduction, and/or aerodynamics for a 1% efficiency improvement. With this 1% improvement the car could have %1 more range. However, instead of the new models having 2 or 3 more miles of range, Tesla can reduce the pack capacity by a similar 1%. This will result in vehicles that have the same range advertised previously while the pack has a slightly smaller capacity.

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing! :cool:P120BFD:cool:
In that case I'll remove the T in back and but a Ferrari horse back there.
Untitled.jpg

My 3 will be GETTING badges once I get it. I was not consulted about removing the badges, I do not approve, and my 3 WILL HAVE BADGES!!! The "Model" badge from an S, the small battery seems to have around 55 KW of capacity between usable range and anti-bricking buffers, so I will go with 2 "85" badges from an S, and make a 55, then cut the 8 into a 3. Since I will have 2 8's, I get 2 chances not to screw it up.

I'll use blue painters' masking tape on the back of the car to get everything straight. I got this all figured out. I did it while at work.

Attachments

• Work hours.jpg
    Work hours.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 98
The articles two reasons for this are:
The switch from kWh to range, being better understandable, which I somewhat get, but not really. Most people got what a kilobit is pretty easily, or megapixels. More is better, that's all there really is to know. But since range still is a big topic with EVs, I can understand the reasoning here.

The profit margin?

From the article:
"When the range is advertised instead of the capacity, improvements to the vehicle can be used to improve the profit margin on each vehicle, rather than increase the range. For example, say they make a small improvement to the inverter, motor, weight reduction, and/or aerodynamics for a 1% efficiency improvement. With this 1% improvement the car could have %1 more range. However, instead of the new models having 2 or 3 more miles of range, Tesla can reduce the pack capacity by a similar 1%. This will result in vehicles that have the same range advertised previously while the pack has a slightly smaller capacity."

So basically leaving out 3-4 cells somewhere? That seems like such a stupid idea. I am 100% sure that it a) doesn't work in most cases and b) that the complexity of changing the SW and especially the tooling would be more expensive, than the little bit of cost savings.

• Love
Reactions: TimM. and Tonymil
My 3 will be GETTING badges once I get it. I was not consulted about removing the badges, I do not approve, and my 3 WILL HAVE BADGES!!! The "Model" badge from an S, the small battery seems to have around 55 KW of capacity between usable range and anti-bricking buffers, so I will go with 2 "85" badges from an S, and make a 55, then cut the 8 into a 3. Since I will have 2 8's, I get 2 chances not to screw it up.

I'll use blue masking tape on the back of the car to get everything straight. I got this all figured out. I did it while at work.
Why not simply make it "58" kw and call it close enough for office work? :D