Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We Don't Need No Stinking Badges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked the teslamotors.com website for the Model 3. They refer to the 310 mile version as with the "long range battery" and the 220 mile version as the "standard battery." There is no indication that they have made these the official names of the cars. Yes, miles will be converted to metric in those countries that have wisely adopted metric standards while the US remains stuck in measurement hell. Since Tesla is an innovator, I would love to see them call the the cars the "354"km and the "483"km here in the US! After all, Tesla does refer to the battery size of the MS/X by the metric system! :cool: :D

I don't know... I mean they have two choices, name their cars, or not name their cars. In the long run I'd say battery capacity and range will be less and less important, but right now the big battery is the most expensive option. Range and battery capacity clearly matters right now.

Usually naming the models after different trim levels, engine displacement, battery capacity... has worked rather well, so far. Many companies do it and it isn't like we don't really care if it's a 75, or a P100D. A P100D is something special and some want a badge for it. And of course it's easier to talk about, especially if you have different versions over time. "The 75D is now as quick as a P85" try saying that without using those badges.

Maybe they totally move away from naming different "battery levels", which would be ok IMO, if they think they need to. But replacing kWh with EPA range, or "SR" and "LR", isn't really something I think is genius. It's just replacing one thing that non enthusiasts can't figure out instantly, with another thing only enthusiasts really understand at first glance.

And to make myself clear here, I don't really mind them doing either, not naming their cars, or just changing the naming scheme, I don't really want badges on my own car. But it isn't really something I applaud, or even really understand. Because others do want badges and the kWh naming had no obvious downsides I ever noticed.

When I talk to other people about my car, no one ever got confused by the 90. Of course they ask about driving range, too. But like I mentioned before, printing the range on the back of the car creates new problems. Also, why make range the most important feature? That's the only weak spot EVs still have. If you are a tall, witty, good looking guy, with crooked teeth and interesting hobbies. Would you only put "crooked teeth" in a dating profile? Battery size on the other hand always also had implications on performance, a field where EVs really excel.

If you are a tall, witty, good looking guy, with crooked teeth and interesting hobbies. Would you only put "crooked teeth" in a dating profile? Battery size on the other hand always also had implications on performance, a field where EVs really excel.
YOU JUST DESCRIBED ME TO A "T"!

I tried out several "models" and took them all for a "test drive" before I got married for the first and only time. We have been married longer than your time on earth. The DW still looks great since she puts on PPF every morning. And WOW, that does baby perform! The only badge she wears is "I'm His". :D

• Funny
Reactions: tracksyde
I sort of hopped in this thread late and just skimmed it. So is there no basic Model 3 badge at all? Or is that there and no further distinction?

My gut was thinking that when I heard they were doing away with the battery sized badges that we would be left with a generic "Model 3" badge for standard range and "Model 3+" for long range. Possible additions for duel battery and performance models as well, which have nothing to do with battery size. To me, I don't see the additions being that much of a big deal, but keeping a basic "Model 3" badge makes sense to let people unfamiliar with the brand or car know what they are looking at.

I sort of hopped in this thread late and just skimmed it. So is there no basic Model 3 badge at all? Or is that there and no further distinction?

My gut was thinking that when I heard they were doing away with the battery sized badges that we would be left with a generic "Model 3" badge for standard range and "Model 3+" for long range. Possible additions for duel battery and performance models as well, which have nothing to do with battery size. To me, I don't see the additions being that much of a big deal, but keeping a basic "Model 3" badge makes sense to let people unfamiliar with the brand or car know what they are looking at.
No badges of any kind have been seen other than just the Tesla logo on the frunk and trunk. I assume this will continue to be the case.

I just checked the teslamotors.com website for the Model 3. They refer to the 310 mile version as with the "long range battery" and the 220 mile version as the "standard battery." There is no indication that they have made these the official names of the cars. Yes, miles will be converted to metric in those countries that have wisely adopted metric standards while the US remains stuck in measurement hell. Since Tesla is an innovator, I would love to see them call the the cars the "354"km and the "483"km here in the US! After all, Tesla does refer to the battery size of the MS/X by the metric system! :cool: :D

From all the text on the website, they just have the Model 3, that's it. "Long Range Battery" is an option, otherwise you have the "Standard Battery". As you say, when they want to distinguish between the types of cars they only say "Model 3 with long range battery" and "Model 3 with standard battery" (which isn't really any different than referring to "Model 3 with premium upgrade package"). They certainly never refer to them as the Model 3 220 and Model 3 310, so I don't imagine they ever will.

You know, I think this whole thing was a misinterpretation of what Elon said. He said they will no longer refer to the differences by their kWh, but just by their range. However, he meant just standard range and long range, not a mile specification. Sort of like 4 cylinder or V6.

You know, I think this whole thing was a misinterpretation of what Elon said. He said they will no longer refer to the differences by their kWh, but just by their range. However, he meant just standard range and long range, not a mile specification. Sort of like 4 cylinder or V6.
The Tesla website refers to them as the 'standard battery" and "long range battery". That would be the official designation at this time. And yes, there will be no badges to designate the difference.

I am happy that the Model 3 will have no badges. When I bought my car, the de-badging was a free option I gladly used, because I think badges are completely unnecessary, and a nuisance when cleaning the car. Plus, I don't like to attract attention by showing off that I drive the model with the largest and most expensive engine available at the time. Never a good idea to attract possible hate, envy and consequent vandalism.

HUH!? This is the first I have heard about that! Could I have a link please? I don't find 220/310 confusing at all and it can easily be converted to KM for countries on the metric system.

I know that is the way (LR/SR) the cars are referred to on TMC, but TMC is NOT an official site for Tesla information. Sometimes members confuse TMC as the official source for Tesla information.

For someone who lives in a Metric world having 498.89 on the back of my vehicle doesn't have the same ring to it ;)

• Funny
Reactions: tracksyde
The only badging I need is my favorite activity.:) I have this on my current car so will pick up a new one. It is very small which is important and I get lots of positive comments about it.
bikebadge for back of model 3.PNG

Reactions: DR61
Since badging, like key fobs, is so 20th century, perhaps Tesla might choose to go with a really up-to-the-minute way to differentiate product that will speak to their intended audience:

Short: The rare, short-ranged $35,000 model with no options (and basic black, you cheapskate)

The cool thing about no badges is for only $36,500 you can get an "Elon", at least as far as anyone outside the car can tell. :)

I am happy that the Model 3 will have no badges. When I bought my car, the de-badging was a free option I gladly used, because I think badges are completely unnecessary, and a nuisance when cleaning the car. Plus, I don't like to attract attention by showing off that I drive the model with the largest and most expensive engine available at the time. Never a good idea to attract possible hate, envy and consequent vandalism.
Just driving a Tesla, or any EV, will generate plenty of hate in some parts of the USA.