Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We Don't Need No Stinking Badges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am happy that the Model 3 will have no badges. When I bought my car, the de-badging was a free option I gladly used, because I think badges are completely unnecessary, and a nuisance when cleaning the car. Plus, I don't like to attract attention by showing off that I drive the model with the largest and most expensive engine available at the time. Never a good idea to attract possible hate, envy and consequent vandalism.

This will disturb you, but there are places (like my hometown) where there are moms who buy the AMG model Mercedes simply because it's the most expensive. They don't care at all about all the go-fast (or even looks) features that are exclusive to the AMG models. They just want the badging there so others know they have the highest end model. All they do is drive around town picking up their kids or going shopping.

Reminds me of a story from 1965. A proud owner of a brand new Ferrari noticed a bystander admiring his car. "It's beautiful", the admirer said, " Is that one of those new Ford Mustangs?"

I have a very similar story. In 2005 I was anxiously awaiting the new retro look mustang to come out. I had ordered one and the wait was excruciating (kind of similar to a Model 3). Anyway there were some cars out and about and my wife came home all excited one day and said "Hey I saw a new Mustang convertible today!" At the time there were no convertibles. They didn't come out for months. So I started probing figuring she just saw a newer 2004 or something. Turns out as I asked questions it dawned on me that maybe she didn't realize there was more than one car with a horse on it. I asked "was the horse running or was it standing on its hind legs?" She promptly replied that the horse was on its hind legs and I responding "Honey that was a Ferrari". She then admitted that it was awfully pretty haha.

I have succeeded though and she now is more into cars now. She can now tell the difference between a Ferrari and a Mustang.

This will disturb you, but there are places (like my hometown) where there are moms who buy the AMG model Mercedes simply because it's the most expensive. They don't care at all about all the go-fast (or even looks) features that are exclusive to the AMG models. They just want the badging there so others know they have the highest end model. All they do is drive around town picking up their kids or going shopping.

This doesn't disturb me at all. There are many people over here who are very much like that too.
I just said that I don't like (or need) to attract that kind of attention. Those mums seem to have a serious self-esteem problem. Otoh, I thought it was mainly a male thing - trying to overcompensate certain other deficiencies with a large and/or powerful car... ;)