Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We have Chademo and J1772 adapters, we need a CCS adapter.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I live in a second floor apartment, and even thought my car is right outside and below my window, plugging in a 14-50 at home may be an issue, it depends on if the apartment manager needs to be bribed or not.

I have a Chademo / CCS NRG EVGO charging station a mile away, Although overnight charging the car there isn't my top choice, it is doable.

I don't want to spend $450 on a Chademo adapter, plus I believe the Chademo should stay in Japan and ONLY in Japan. I want a CCS adapter. No, I NEED a CCS adapter. Since CCS is a modified version of J1772, it should be relatively easy to make, right?

Since Tesla is involved with the CCS organization in some way, I find it hard to believe there isn't a CCS adapter yet.

If you have a CHAdeMO/CCS charging station a mile away, you don't NEED a CCS adapter. The CHAdeMO adapter will do just fine. In the current combo stations CCS isn't any faster than CHAdeMO. Also please do not block a DC charging station with overnight charging! Depending on your battery size it could take as little as 2 hours to fully charge with CHAdeMO.

Last edited:
If you have a CHAdeMO/CCS charging station a mile away, you don't NEED a CCS adapter. The CHAdeMO adapter will do just fine. In the current combo stations CCS isn't any faster than CHAdeMO. Also please do not block a DC charging station with overnight charging! Depending on your battery size it could take as little as 2 hours to fully charge with CHAdeMO.

Not all DC fast stations are combo. There are a lot of dedicated CCS stations and those are growing. I agree that a CCS adapter would be a great thing to have.

I don't think it is as simple as a J1772 adapter. It took a long time to develop the CHAdeMO adapter so it seems it might be a tricky proposition. Maybe Tesla is working on one? I hope so.

Since CCS is a modified version of J1772, it should be relatively easy to make, right?

This is your 1st false assumption. If you are waiting for a CCS adapter bc u don't want to spring for an already available ChAdeMo adapter you are in for a rude awakening. I suspect the CCS adapter will be MORE expensive, not less. and the sooner you purchase a ChAdeMo adapter the quicker you can start amortizing the cost over the life of your car. As others have pointed out most CCS stations also support ChAdeMo already. u said so yourself above.

I really don't understand the complaining. your path forward is clear.

I just noticed that you said the charging station is EVGo. You may not know that EVGo CHAdeMO stations shut off after 30 minutes, then you have to put in another quarter (actually lots of them). So you can't leave the car there and expect it to be fully charged when you get back.

Reactions: miimura
Okay, maybe I don't have a good technical reason for not wanting a Chademo adapter, but it is definitely the odd one out. I don't like it.

We have 4 adapter types in the usa. Tesla, ccs, j1772, and chademo. We need to get it down to 2 for more flexibility and compatibility. Tesla and ccs. J1772 chargers can plug into a ccs, so they get grandfathered in. Chademo should be out, or at least not expanded more than it already is. Chademo should stay in Japan just like that mennekes / 3 phase deal stays in Europe and other places.

I would expect a ccs adapter to have a similar size to a j1772 adapter, not that huge chademo thing.

I don't want to leave my car overnight at the charging station, but it may have to happen now and then. The mile to my place is a twisty turny narrow dangerous to walk on road, even in daytime, and once the wife decides she is in for the evening, getting her to give me a ride down to the car will be nearly impossible and will involve much whining and complaining. From her.

• Disagree
Reactions: GHammer
I would expect a ccs adapter to have a similar size to a j1772 adapter, not that huge chademo thing.

I think you are going to be disappointed. CCS is just as large as Chademo. Tesla's adapter is likely to be just as bulky.

2017-Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-charging-port-760x507.jpeg

I don't want to leave my car overnight at the charging station, but it may have to happen now and then. The mile to my place is a twisty turny narrow dangerous to walk on road, even in daytime, and once the wife decides she is in for the evening, getting her to give me a ride down to the car will be nearly impossible and will involve much whining and complaining. From her.
I don't know what you base your expectation on, but if Tesla ever does make a CCS adapter you're going to be disappointed.

Are you sure you're ready for an EV in your living situation? If you ever leave your car overnight at a DC charging station you may find lots of angry EV owners there when you return.

Okay, maybe I don't have a good technical reason for not wanting a Chademo adapter, but it is definitely the odd one out. I don't like it.

We have 4 adapter types in the usa. Tesla, ccs, j1772, and chademo. We need to get it down to 2 for more flexibility and compatibility. Tesla and ccs. J1772 chargers can plug into a ccs, so they get grandfathered in. Chademo should be out, or at least not expanded more than it already is. Chademo should stay in Japan just like that mennekes / 3 phase deal stays in Europe and other places.

I suspect a Tesla to CCS adapter is going to be more complicated than you are expecting based on technical reasons. Tesla and CHAdeMO use CAN buss communication between the car and the charger whereas CCS uses PLC. There will need to be a substantial interface between the two to get it to work, it's not just a mater of the J1772 looking similar on the CCS.

Leaving you car overnight is just not cool at all, I don't really care the reason short of having a heart attack while charging. Wifely whining does not count. As a traveler who needs to travel at night sometimes, I would be pissed if someone left their car at a public charger overnight.

Reactions: Rocky_H
This is why I expect that Tesla will include a CCS port as an option on the 3, and shortly on the S. North America is going CCS, and it's not going to slow down.

or get CCS to change the "no adapter" policy.

I don't think anyone will give up supercharger access. then again it probably won't be free for the M3 so if you have to pay to supercharge its no different than paying for CCS. except 90 kW is way faster than 25 kW.... and 115 kW faster still. giving up SCing is a tough one.. even if you have to pay for it.

BTW Tesla's pricing was very reasonable. much less than price-gouging ChargePoint and EVGo

This is why I expect that Tesla will include a CCS port as an option on the 3, and shortly on the S. North America is going CCS, and it's not going to slow down.
Actually North America is going Tesla connector, and it's not going to slow down. Tesla sells more EVs in North America than all the ones with CCS combined, and that's just going to increase with the model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I suspect a Tesla to CCS adapter is going to be more complicated than you are expecting based on technical reasons. Tesla and CHAdeMO use CAN buss communication between the car and the charger whereas CCS uses PLC. There will need to be a substantial interface between the two to get it to work, it's not just a mater of the J1772 looking similar on the CCS.

Leaving you car overnight is just not cool at all, I don't really care the reason short of having a heart attack while charging. Wifely whining does not count. As a traveler who needs to travel at night sometimes, I would be pissed if someone left their car at a public charger overnight.
Yes, the technical challenge is not trivial for CCS while for CHAdeMO the CANbus data was sufficient.
I haven't verified this, but it's been stated elsewhere that CCS does not allow the use of adapters. If this is true, you will never get a CCS adapter for your car.
That appears to stem from the EU electrical standards in apart and from the public utility CharIN members reluctance to allow the risk of non-approved standard connectors due to their perception of electrical mishaps.

I think the combination of the authorization/billing issues in CharIN/CCS and the reluctance to cede control of connectors will make a non-physical fixed chargeport for CCSa long while coming. A litigant is that JB Straubel said the S and X were already fully CCS compliant electrically, so probably the authorization/payment interface question is not so serious.

Actually North America is going Tesla connector, and it's not going to slow down. Tesla sells more EVs in North America than all the ones with CCS combined, and that's just going to increase with the model 3.
I'll argue that the CCS standard will have more locations than will Tesla within 5-6 years, but somehow or another Tesla will end out being CCS compatible in North America since they already are in Europe.

I live in a second floor apartment, and even thought my car is right outside and below my window, plugging in a 14-50 at home may be an issue, it depends on if the apartment manager needs to be bribed or not.

I have a Chademo / CCS NRG EVGO charging station a mile away, Although overnight charging the car there isn't my top choice, it is doable.

I don't want to spend $450 on a Chademo adapter, plus I believe the Chademo should stay in Japan and ONLY in Japan. I want a CCS adapter. No, I NEED a CCS adapter. Since CCS is a modified version of J1772, it should be relatively easy to make, right?

Since Tesla is involved with the CCS organization in some way, I find it hard to believe there isn't a CCS adapter yet.
If you can't get the apartment to install charging equipment, then you have two practical options. Leaving your car overnight on a DCFC is not an option.
1. Find a Level2 charging station somewhere near where you regularly park, like at or near your workplace.
2. Use EVgo CHAdeMO while you're out running errands during the day. They shut off after 30 minutes, so you will never get a full charge in one session. If you do this several times per week, it would probably be sufficient to replace your routine in-town driving miles.

According to this article, the J1772 standard uses PLC, and look at the Tesla adapter for it. Small.

SAE J1772 - Wikipedia

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I fail to understand why a CCS adapter is such an issue.

I am hoping that Tesla does the smart thing and puts a CCS port under the right side taillight on the 3, thereby making this issue a non-issue.

I see J1772 chargers around my area on Plugshare. I know where the Tesla chargers are. I also see quite a few that are Chademo / CCS and nothing else. If these charging stations would include Tesla and J1772 charging cables, that would solve the problem. Why don't they? They would have more paying customers if more cars could use their chargers.

Part of the reason to get a Tesla is to not spend money on gas anymore. If I have to drop a couple hundred for a used Chademo adapter (forget $450 for a new one), I am already in the hole financially on what I am supposed to be saving. I drive right around 20,000 miles a year.

Last edited:
Tesla belongs to the CCS steering committee now. They may want to make a CCS adapter, but politics is preventing them. It is a proprietary plug format and Telsa probably would need to get permission from the CCS controlling organization to make an adapter.