Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We have Chademo and J1772 adapters, we need a CCS adapter.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see J1772 chargers around my area on Plugshare. I know where the Tesla chargers are. I also see quite a few that are Chademo / CCS and nothing else. If these charging stations would include Tesla and J1772 charging cables, that would solve the problem. Why don't they? They would have more paying customers if more cars could use their chargers.
CHAdeMO and CCS are formats for DC (usually fast) charging. The large external unit is a charger and car's on-board charger is bypassed. AC from the utility is converted to DC of the correct voltage.

For level 1 and 2 AC charging over J1772-2009 connector and Tesla's proprietary North American connector via say
Tesla — Wall Connector with 24' Cable or Tesla — Mobile Connector Bundle, the external unit is just an EVSE and NOT a charger.

The EVSE doesn't convert AC to DC nor does it alter the input voltage. The car's on-board charger does that. EVSEs are basically smart safety switches. Even Tesla's EVSEs that I alluded to are using J1772 "under the hood" except for the connector. See Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. and http://www.sae.org/smartgrid/chargingprimer.pdf for more info.

At some sites w/DC FCs, there are some L2 EVSEs nearby. I don't think you'd want EV parking spaces for DC FCs to be directly shared by those charging at much slower L2 speeds. Imagine having a Volt pulling only 3.x kW or worse, a Plug-in Prius pulling ~2.1 to 2.3 kW blocking spaces for cars waiting to DC FC that can pull 40+ kW.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: gavine
I don't want to spend $450 on a Chademo adapter, plus I believe the Chademo should stay in Japan and ONLY in Japan. I want a CCS adapter. No, I NEED a CCS adapter. Since CCS is a modified version of J1772, it should be relatively easy to make, right?

A CCS adapter doesn't make much sense in a world where the Chademo adapter already exists. The vast majority of CCS charging stations also support CCS, so what advantage would a CCS adapter have?

A CCS adapter would likely be a more complex device compared to Chademo. The signalling protocol is quite different, being based on PLC rather than CAN - so this would likely necessitate some complex electronics inside the adapter. Also, European CCS would require powered locking pins inside the adapter - more complexity!

Nope, it's far more likely that Tesla will support CCS directly in future vehicles: no adapter needed. Model 3 seems to has been designed with a large charging flap to support different types of plugs. If they're going to go to the engineering effort to implement CCS, it's easier and better to just build it in to the car rather than mess with adapters.

Besides, adapters might be acceptable to us EV enthusiasts, but they're a pain for everyone else. A great way to scare the general ICE-buying public off from buying EVs. Ultimately, charging needs to be made as fast, simple, and painless as possible in every aspect. That means one charging standard, and no adapters!

All the usual misconceptions are present in this thread (and thanks to all the folks who corrected them).

I don't want to spend $450 on a Chademo adapter, plus I believe the Chademo should stay in Japan and ONLY in Japan. I want a CCS adapter. No, I NEED a CCS adapter.

If a CCS adaptor were available, it will likely be at least $450, and probably even more expensive. I guess you can hope for something cheaper, but I'm somewhat amazed at the "thriftiness" of some folks with $100,000 cars.

As to CHAdeMO only being in Japan, perhaps CCS should only be in Germany (where it was developed)?

I have bad news for you concerning CHAdeMO. It is not only the largest quantity DC fast charging protocol in the world, it leads in every market that it competes.

"CHAdeMO celebrates double achievements: 2000 chargers in the US and 4000 in Europe. Together with Asia and the rest of the world there are over 13500 CHAdeMO chargers globally, a strong 35% growth in 1 year. 150kW chargers are expected in Europe in 2017."

CHAdeMO is System A in the international standards, with CCS and GB/T (China) as System B and C.

CHAdeMO is one of two official DC fast charge protocols in the European Union, and the only official standard in Japan.

As stated upthread, CHAdeMO shares the same CAN communication as every car, as well as Tesla Supercharger and GB/T. CCS is the oddball with PLC communication.

Since Tesla is involved with the CCS organization in some way, I find it hard to believe there isn't a CCS adapter yet.

Tesla will likely build a CCS adaptor someday, but it's irrational (to me) that you won't use a perfectly good CHAdeMO adaptor out of some sense of nationalism. In addition, virtually every current CCS only station in the US is 60 amps... half the power of any of the dual CHAdeMO / CCS stations stations at 125 amps.

If I were in your shoes, I would use whatever logical charging methods were available.

A CCS adapter would be nice. I needed to grab a charge at a local mall, looked it up on Plugshare and saw they had a CHAdeMO/Combo charger. When I arrived, the CHAdeMO side was occupied by a Leaf that was charging. The CCS side was empty, but I could not use it because I do not have a CCS adapter. So this charging station was completely useless to me.

A charging station does not have two adapters per side, they have a different adapter on each side. Since the majority of vehicles are CHAdeMO it's a safe bet the CHAdeMO side will usually be occupied. This is reason enough for a CCS adapter.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H and Naonak
Tesla belongs to the CCS steering committee now. They may want to make a CCS adapter, but politics is preventing them. It is a proprietary plug format and Telsa probably would need to get permission from the CCS controlling organization to make an adapter.
Actually CCS was always an open standard. It's SAE on the US side and IEC internationally. It was actually CHAdeMO that started out as a proprietary standard.

Reactions: smac
According to this article, the J1772 standard uses PLC, and look at the Tesla adapter for it. Small.

SAE J1772 - Wikipedia

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I fail to understand why a CCS adapter is such an issue.
The J1772 does not use PLC communication when it is operating in AC mode. It uses a simple 1khz Pulse Width Modulated pilot signal to indicate charge current. The PLC implementation on the control pin is for when the connector is being used as part of the CCS DC charging.

A CCS adapter would be nice. I needed to grab a charge at a local mall, looked it up on Plugshare and saw they had a CHAdeMO/Combo charger. When I arrived, the CHAdeMO side was occupied by a Leaf that was charging. The CCS side was empty, but I could not use it because I do not have a CCS adapter. So this charging station was completely useless to me.

A charging station does not have two adapters per side, they have a different adapter on each side. Since the majority of vehicles are CHAdeMO it's a safe bet the CHAdeMO side will usually be occupied. This is reason enough for a CCS adapter.
At most of these dual stations you can only use one or the other, not both simultaneously. So you couldn't use it anyway