Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We have 'vent' for windows. But can we have 'auto-close in the evening' please!

Like many people. When my car is parked on the drive and the car is in full sun it gets hot and I leave a window or 2 open / use the 'vent' mode on the app. It's in a safe location.
Several times I've forgotten to close them in the evening! Came down this morning after last night's rain to open windows and damp doors! Yeah, had forgotten to close them!
Wish we could have a tickbox next to vent for "auto-close in the evening". Just close an hour before sun-down!
As it's only venting a few inches it's too narrow a gap for a child to have their head caught in it.
Now people could say I should just run the AC using 'cabin over-heat protection' - but for the sake of the environment I would prefer not to run AC unnecessarily.

Attachments

• IMG20220520125048_resize_13.jpg
    IMG20220520125048_resize_13.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG20220520125101_resize_48.jpg
    IMG20220520125101_resize_48.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG20220520125310_resize_61.jpg
    IMG20220520125310_resize_61.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Informative
Reactions: jsmay311 and KenC

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
That window opening is a lot more than what my "vent" does. Mine opens just an inch.
I have read somewhere that the car will close the windows after 12 hours. But also a tie-in with the rain sensor would be nice. Raining? Close windows!

That picture is WAAAAAY more than the vent in the app setting. There is almost no chance that the OP in this thread used the vent setting in the app, and the windows opened that much.

Nothing wrong with the suggestion of course, but the picture included with the post is an exaggeration. Here is a picture of vent mode, activated from the app, on my own car, that I took right now (after seeing this post).

IMG_1263.JPG

I cant even put two fingers together next to each other in the gap, at its widest point. In the picture shared by the OP, the window is rolled down past the camera. That had to be done manually, it was not done by the app.

Reactions: oreobbq
That picture is WAAAAAY more than the vent in the app setting. There is almost no chance that the OP in this thread used the vent setting in the app, and the windows opened that much.

Nothing wrong with the suggestion of course, but the picture included with the post is an exaggeration. Here is a picture of vent mode, activated from the app, on my own car, that I took right now (after seeing this post).

View attachment 806701

I cant even put two fingers together next to each other in the gap, at its widest point. In the picture shared by the OP, the window is rolled down past the camera. That had to be done manually, it was not done by the app.
Ok, you got me, sometimes I use vent, sometimes I just leave the window open a bit when leaving the car in the sun on the driveway. I'm not even sure which I did last night! The point of the post is the app shows "more than one window is left open" or "drivers side window is open" so can we PLEASE still have "auto close in the evening" as an option? People vent for when it's hot during the day. It makes logical sense that you don't need to still "vent" at night - so they should be closed. It's a security risk, plus rain and dew like I said.

you live in england. why is that even an issue. just use cabin protect. and/or before you get in the car just remotely cool it down.
Electricity in the UK is the equivalent of 50c/kWh. To use it for cooling when it can be equally solved by opening windows is like taking a sledgehamme to crack a walnut.
I would prefer the car to cool itself naturally with it's windows than use electricity wastefully and needlessly. If a conservatory is too hot - do you open the doors and windows or spend money running AC for ages to cool it down?
The AC system probably has a usable life - why also decrease it by running AC on and off through the summer when I'm not even driving the car? In the UK cars often have to have their AC recharged every few years at the cost of £100 or so. Again, surely using it more is going to age the components quicker. I care more about them than the life of the window motors which should be able to cope better, and of course uses negligible energy to open/close.

the energy you lose by preconditiong the car 5min before you get in is very little. if it really is an issue then you should really evaluate whether you should drive a Tesla. Also im sure electricity is not 0.5 USD/kwh in the uk. when i lived there a few years ago we payed around 20 pence/ kwh.
Actually it's now more! It's "now" 35p/kWh and rising 40% in October, only some companies if you enter a 1 year fix are putting up their prices to cover the one year fix. My friend got a 41p/kWh offer.
Prices went up about 100% a few months ago. My 1yr fix with Octopus went from 13p to 32p/kWh. But I fixed 4 months ago.
You haven't read much UK news then. Google for "cost of living crisis UK".

Not sure how well, if at all, the IFTTT app integrates with Tesla, but could there be a way to set that up to automatically close the windows at a specified time every evening? If not, just set an alarm to remind you and take care of it. That'll only take a few seconds every day, and you can update the alarm once per week to adjust for sun-down.

How about if you get your smartphone to notify you in the evening if there's rain forecast overnight. That way you can shut your windows. I get some notification to bring an umbrella in the morning from some weather app, I'm sure there's something similar for evenings, you'd think.
This is all things the Tesla app could do. Not check for the weather. But I can't think of a single reason why the windows should be open after sundown. In fact just closing them an hour before sundown would be fine - the sun has very little power at that time.
It seems the screen in the car automatically adjusts based on the time of day and possibly World region and day of year. I'm not sure it's based on light levels or a strong shadow would cause it to go to night mode. But in summer it goes to night mode about 9pm in the UK, about dusk.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
. But I can't think of a single reason why the windows should be open after sundown

I cant think of a single reason why people get so up in arms about the car locking itself in their garage either, but that doesnt mean people are happy with it. Just because you cant think of a reason why someone would want their windows down after sundown doesnt mean one doesnt exist.

You started this thread off with saying that your car was getting rain inside because of vent mode, but that was proven to be not the case. It got rain inside because you left the windows rolled down that you manually rolled down.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC