Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We must face facts - meat is the problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lower the salt content of the Impossible Burger
Change the taste preferences of the American consumer

There was a movement in the medical community some years ago to replace NaCl with KCl but I don't think it ever gained much traction in the food industry. KCl also has its own set of gotchas, mostly for people who do not excrete potassium easily.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
From 2015, yet if you were to ask your doctor about this he/she would have no idea it even exists, likely because he/she is a regular eater of animal flesh.

Rather than appear to be a hypocrite, and to avoid cognitive dissonance, the vast majority of doctors just say, "My patients will be non-compliant with advise to eat less/no meat, so I'll just not mention it."

It's not their patients, it THEM . . . and why it's better to find a younger, better-informed, smarter doctor given a choice.

WHO report says eating processed meat is carcinogenic: Understanding the findings

Rather than appear to be a hypocrite, and to avoid cognitive dissonance, the vast majority of doctors just say, "My patients will be non-compliant with advise to eat less/no meat, so I'll just not mention it."
BS

I'm a vegan physician, and I learned a long time ago to talk with patients about what they want to discuss. To act otherwise is pissing into a headwind.

From 2015, yet if you were to ask your doctor about this he/she would have no idea it even exists, likely because he/she is a regular eater of animal flesh.

It's not their patients, it THEM . . . and why it's better to find a younger, better-informed, smarter doctor given a choice.

WHO report says eating processed meat is carcinogenic: Understanding the findings
43 y/o here, aspire to vegan goals but flexitarian in transition. I advise a plant based diet with minimal meat or processed foods to all cardiovascular related admitted patients and any patients open to discussing. This is also on our discharge instructions at the nations largest vertically integrated healthcare system.

43 y/o here, aspire to vegan goals but flexitarian in transition. I advise a plant based diet with minimal meat or processed foods to all cardiovascular related admitted patients and any patients open to discussing. This is also on our discharge instructions at the nations largest vertically integrated healthcare system.

Good news--there is some progress!

You (and any patients that appear to have non-rocks between their ears) should certainly watch the "How NOT to Die" video. Nothing like mountains of peer-reviewed studies to start the ball rolling a bit faster, or will we have to wait decades like the medical profession did with tobacco only a few years ago?

HOW NOT TO DIE: The Role of Diet in Preventing, Arresting, & Reversing Our Top 15 Killers | NutritionFacts.org

(They're a non-profit, BTW--just getting the word out as fast as they can.)

Good news--there is some progress!

You (and any patients that appear to have non-rocks between their ears) should certainly watch the "How NOT to Die" video. Nothing like mountains of peer-reviewed studies to start the ball rolling a bit faster, or will we have to wait decades like the medical profession did with tobacco only a few years ago?

HOW NOT TO DIE: The Role of Diet in Preventing, Arresting, & Reversing Our Top 15 Killers | NutritionFacts.org

(They're a non-profit, BTW--just getting the word out as fast as they can.)

Non-profit just means the organization doesn't report a profit.

Warning: the guy who set it up is a cherry-picking veganism zealot.

Nonprofit means that nobody owns and profits from the organization; not that they just don't make a profit ( like Tesla for many years.)

If you get paid, you profit. If it helps you promote yourself, you profit.

There are lots of scam charities that are non-profits that hire professional fundraisers and then take a small cut of what's left as directors.

Political campaigning organizations are non-profits, including all the ones you hate.

In my state we have multiple, wealthy, $50k/year private colleges that are non-profits.

Non-profit doesn't mean good.

Picking cherries is better than picking dead animals.

We're very glad of the crows here that get rid of the roadkill.

Note that I said cherry-picking, not a liar. But people need to understand that all you're going to get from that organization is vegan good, meat bad.

If you get paid, you profit. If it helps you promote yourself, you profit.

There are lots of scam charities that are non-profits that hire professional fundraisers and then take a small cut of what's left as directors.

Political campaigning organizations are non-profits, including all the ones you hate.

In my state we have multiple, wealthy, $50k/year private colleges that are non-profits.

Non-profit doesn't mean good.

We're very glad of the crows here that get rid of the roadkill.

Note that I said cherry-picking, not a liar. But people need to understand that all you're going to get from that organization is vegan good, meat bad.
There is a legal definition of nonprofit and it's not what you make up.
Vegan good, meat bad is about right.

• Funny
Reactions: ladysbff
We must change food production to save the world, says leaked report

A leaked draft of a report on climate change and land use, which is now being debated in Geneva by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), states that it will be impossible to keep global temperatures at safe levels unless there is also a transformation in the way the world produces food and manages land.
Among the measures put forward by the report is the proposal of a major shift towards vegetarian and vegan diets. “The consumption of healthy and sustainable diets, such as those based on coarse grains, pulses and vegetables, and nuts and seeds … presents major opportunities for reducing greenhouse gas emissions,” the report states.

No flights, a four-day week and living off-grid: what climate scientists do at home to save the planet
As a family, we’ve been vegetarian for about six months. We’d already been cutting down on meat, but Molly was the one who pushed it further – she’s pretty much vegan. Of course, some vegetarian food has high food miles, but as a rule of thumb, a vegetarian meal is going to have a substantially lower carbon footprint than a meat one.

I’m a vegetarian, and I don’t drive
‘It’s all about the big three: flying, driving and eating meat’
For example, eating a plant-based diet for one year saves over 150 times more greenhouse gases compared with a year of using a reusable shopping bag.

Non-profit just means the organization doesn't report a profit.

Wow, thank you for such an insightful comment!

Could you please provide your peer-reviewed, sciential, links refuting his?

We're sure you have many, right, so feel free to post them . . . we'll be waiting.

[Forever most likely.]

Wow, thank you for such an insightful comment!

Could you please provide your peer-reviewed, sciential, links refuting his?

We're sure you have many, right, so feel free to post them . . . we'll be waiting.

[Forever most likely.]

Me said:

noun
the action or practice of choosing and taking only the most beneficial or profitable items, opportunities, etc., from what is available.

noun
the action or practice of choosing and taking only the most beneficial or profitable items, opportunities, etc., from what is available.

I'm sorry, "Itsnotaboutthemoney," but it appears you have missed the posting above.

Would you please post your sciential links to peer-reviewed papers supporting your contention that the "How NOT to Die" video is inaccurate?

We're still waiting.

In the meanwhile, since you appear to have a hard time with facts that challenge your worldview, you might want to review this site (it appears you use these often?):

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

I'm sorry, "Itsnotaboutthemoney," but it appears you have missed the posting above.

Would you please post your sciential links to peer-reviewed papers supporting your contention that the "How NOT to Die" video is inaccurate?

We're still waiting.

In the meanwhile, since you appear to have a hard time with facts that challenge your worldview, you might want to review this site (it appears you use these often?):

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies
I just watched this video (the 17 minute version) and found if very useful and accurate (as well as entertaining).
Interesting evidence for reversal of CVD.
(I am a medical doctor so I have some domain specific knowledge.)

Meat market failure

Meat is a market commodity so it is fundamental to understand whether and how markets work to allow transactions for both quantity, quality and credence elements. Consumers cannot easily transact for less or better if markets fail to convey relevant information about the external costs of production and consumption. Nor can we expect governments to regulate in a transparent fashion if we do not explore how we correct this market failure.

Whatever our stance on meat consumption, agreement on a theoretical approach to market failure is an important basis for a clear scientific characterization of the related externalities that are the crux of pro- and anti-meat rhetoric. Monetary valuation5 can help elucidate trade-offs and affords space for discussion of moral decisions about the extent to which the market can or should deliver on meat futures, and the role of government in the debate.