Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We must face facts - meat is the problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure it's been mentioned in this thread yet but preliminary studies have shown that a very small amount of seaweed added to cow feed can reduce their methane production by up to 82 %

Over the course of five months last summer, Kebreab and Roque added scant amounts of seaweed to the diet of 21 beef cattle and tracked their weight gain and methane emissions. Cattle that consumed doses of about 80 grams (3 ounces) of seaweed gained as much weight as their herd mates while burping out 82 percent less methane into the atmosphere. Kebreab and Roque are building on their earlier work with dairy cattle, which was the world’s first experiment reported that used seaweed in cattle.

I don't see greenhouse gasses and meat as being an insurmountable obstacle
Only a few months in a feedlot.
Cost
Only one rare species of seaweed
Up to 82%... Average 45%
Wishful thinking

Reactions: SmartElectric
Only a few months in a feedlot.
Cost
Only one rare species of seaweed
Up to 82%... Average 45%
Wishful thinking
I’m going to disagree. Meat is still going to be an issue for the foreseeable future. Cost like anything else tends to drop as it moves to mass production.

Which would be an easier sell to the public in the next 5 years for a 45% reduction in meat related greenhouse gases. Meat that costs X% more to cover the additional 80g of seaweed per cow per feeding or a mandated reduction of meat production by 45%?

One of those will engender significant resistance from the public and one will get some grumblings from meat producers about new requirements and a few less sales due to a minor cost increase.

I’m going to disagree. Meat is still going to be an issue for the foreseeable future. Cost like anything else tends to drop as it moves to mass production.

Which would be an easier sell to the public in the next 5 years for a 45% reduction in meat related greenhouse gases. Meat that costs X% more to cover the additional 80g of seaweed per cow per feeding or a mandated reduction of meat production by 45%?

One of those will engender significant resistance from the public and one will get some grumblings from meat producers about new requirements and a few less sales due to a minor cost increase.
Nobody is mandating meat reduction. There are efforts to educate people on the consequences of their food choices.
You still have the freedom to eat whatever you want.
It would be nice to include the cost of environmental damage in food price.

So I've tried both Beyond and Impossible from the grocery store (fried/grilled/pressed you know those kind of devices).

I didn't like the beet juice dribble on one, yes it looks more like a real hamburger that way but I didn't want to watch the red dribble on the real burger so I doubly don't want it on my fake burger. They need to reduce the beet juice on that one.

The other tasted too much like the old school fake hamburgers. I guess that's the soy taste but I'm not sure.

Either one is passible though. For example I prepared 2 fake patties and 2 real beef patties of the same size with the same seasoning and cook process and tossed them in the fridge in the same container. Pulled it out a day or two later when I was ready to eat it and microwaved to reheat, literally couldn't tell which patty was which visually at that point (no beet juice dribble so I guess it wasn't that one).

I could barely tell a texture difference and the taste was different but taking one beef and one veggie and turning them into a double cheeseburger mixed the taste and then I didn't notice. I'm using a real cheddar slice and a wheat bun.

So that's my new "hamburger" at home. It's half beef half beyond/impossible whichever is cheaper that trip to the grocery store.

No I haven't gotten rid of my beef consumption, but I have reduced it measurably.

Last edited:
Nobody is mandating meat reduction. There are efforts to educate people on the consequences of their food choices.
You still have the freedom to eat whatever you want.
It would be nice to include the cost of environmental damage in food price.
Then I guess I don’t understand your point. The findings of the study are “wishful thinking” or applying feed changes to the beef industry as a whole is “wishful thinking”?

I think it's wishful thinking to imagine that the entire beef industry could switch to seaweed supplement and reduce methane and CO2.
It would require regulations (after some more studies to prove it can be scaled up).

As for the regulations the entire gasoline industry now add ethanol and removed lead. So it would require the political will do so which is another conversation.

So I've tried both Beyond and Impossible from the grocery store (fried/grilled/pressed you know those kind of devices).

I didn't like the beet juice dribble on one, yes it looks more like a real hamburger that way but I didn't want to watch the red dribble on the real burger so I doubly don't want it on my fake burger. They need to reduce the beet juice on that one.

The other tasted too much like the old school fake hamburgers. I guess that's the soy taste but I'm not sure.

Either one is passible though. For example I prepared 2 fake patties and 2 real beef patties of the same size with the same seasoning and cook process and tossed them in the fridge in the same container. Pulled it out a day or two later when I was ready to eat it and microwaved to reheat, literally couldn't tell which patty was which visually at that point (no beet juice dribble so I guess it wasn't that one).

I could barely tell a texture difference and the taste was different but taking one beef and one veggie and turning them into a double cheeseburger mixed the taste and then I didn't notice. I'm using a real cheddar slice and a wheat bun.

So that's my new "hamburger" at home. It's half beef half beyond/impossible whichever is cheaper that trip to the grocery store.

No I haven't gotten rid of my beef consumption, but I have reduced it measurably.

A hybrid burger. I like it. Just like hybrid cars, it could be a gateway to zero beef in the future and might be a way to ease people into the idea.

The right’s new bogeyman: that Biden will take America’s hamburgers away | Art Cullen

The “take away your meat” scare belies the fear felt by Big Meat when its own, unsustainable system crashed up against its limits. Livestock can be sheltered humanely for efficient food production and better protection from disease. We can finish a lot more cattle on grass for the benefit of the planet. We can enhance food security with more diversity in production and open, competitive markets. Almost everyone in the midwest understands those basic facts.

Wishful thinking....

Half of emissions cuts will come from future tech, says John Kerry

He said Americans would “not necessarily” have to eat less meat, because of research being done into the way cattle are herded and fed in order to reduce methane emissions. “You don’t have to give up a quality of life to achieve some of the things that we know we have to achieve. That’s the brilliance of some of the things that we know how to do,” he told BBC One’s Andrew Marr show. “I am told by scientists that 50% of the reductions we have to make to get to net zero are going to come from technologies that we don’t yet have. That’s just a reality.

Would be nice but the reality is that we don't know what new technology will bring.
Current technology for energy production and storage is sufficient to eliminate fossil fuel. Not sure about meat.

The Big Money Is Going Vegan The Big Money Is Going Vegan

It’s no longer enough for food to taste good and be healthy. More people want to make sure that their ketchup, cookies or mac and cheese are not helping to melt the polar ice caps. Food production is a leading contributor to climate change, especially when animals are involved. (Cows belch methane, a potent greenhouse gas.) Milk substitutes made from soybeans, cashews, almonds, hazelnuts, hemp, rice and oats have proliferated in response to soaring demand.

Should We All Go Pesco-vegetarian?

Humans have been evolutionarily adapted to be omnivores, i.e. to obtain calories from both plant and animal food sources. However, presently, many people overconsume animal products, among which processed meats, rich in saturated fats, salt, and chemical additives, are particularly harmful. Animals as sources of meat for human consumption are usually raised in poor conditions, as many are stuck in crammed quarters, fed unnatural foods, and often treated with antibiotics and/or hormones.[1] This, together with the high content of saturated fatty acids and cholesterol in meat, predisposes meat eaters to a wide range of chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease (CVD), diabetes, and cancer.[2] Last, but not least, it should be underlined that raising lamb, beef, and pork for the production of red meat has the greatest environmental impact, from greenhouse gas emissions to water usage, compared with the production of most other foods. Thus, focusing our dietary pattern on a greater consumption of plant-based than animal-based foods will help reduce or prevent chronic non-communicable diseases and lead to longer, healthier lives, but will also have a positive impact on planetary health.[3]

‘They killed my best friend for supper!’ Gunda, the farmyard film that could put you off eating meat for ever

A sow, two cows and a one-legged chicken are the stars of Victor Kossakovsky’s unique documentary, which Hollywood’s most famous vegan, Joaquin Phoenix, has helped to get the audience it deserves

Gunda is no ordinary wildlife documentary. There is no narration or soundtrack. Instead, in glorious monochrome, we watch the animals simply exist: they feed, snuffle, snuggle, care for their young, and scamper in fields. It turns out that no digital trickery or anthropomorphic narrative is needed for us to fall in love with them.

6051fad8c1917.jpg

UK animal rights group blockades four McDonald’s depots

She added: “We are in the middle of a climate and ecological emergency and we are still consuming huge quantities of meat on a scale that is just not sustainable for our planet.” An Animal Rebellion spokesperson, James Ozden, said the action was aimed at calling out the animal agriculture industry for its part in the global climate crisis. “The meat and dairy industry is destroying our planet: causing huge amounts of rainforest deforestation, emitting immense quantities of greenhouse gases and killing billions of animals each year,” he said.

Gorin, MS, RDN, a plant-based registered dietitian and owner of Plant-Based Eats in Stamford, CT, breaks down the findings: “In research presented at the European Congress on Obesity this year, researchers from the University of Glasgow looked at more than 177,223 healthy British adults—finding that vegetarians are healthier than meat-eaters, regardless of factors such as age, weight, smoking habits, or alcohol intake,” she says. “The vegetarian eaters had significantly lower levels of 13 important biomarkers including total cholesterol, LDL ‘bad’ cholesterol, and a hormone that encourages cancer cells to grow. As we previously reported on a deep dive of the study’s findings, only 4,111 of these participants were self-reported vegetarians, so it’d certainly bolster this encouraging if more vegetarians and plant-based eaters made up a larger percentage of study participants. Read More: New Study: Drinking, Smoking Vegans Are Healthier Than Carnivores | New Study: Drinking, Smoking Vegans Are Healthier Than Carnivores

I don’t understand you people that want to die healthy. When I die, I’m going to be sick. Very, very sick.
Of course.
The issue is the time leading up to your death. Would you rather have a long period of debilitating degenerative decline with severe limits to your activity and comfort caused by diabetes, heart disease, cancer or would you rather be relatively healthy and active until you drop dead one day?

Of course.
The issue is the time leading up to your death. Would you rather have a long period of debilitating degenerative decline with severe limits to your activity and comfort caused by diabetes, heart disease, cancer or would you rather be relatively healthy and active until you drop dead one day?

Eating healthy won’t make you live longer, but it sure will feel longer.

• Funny
Reactions: mspohr