Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We need a cold weather support group...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Dbitter1

Journeyman Member
Dec 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
... for those of us that have to make the pilgrimage to the gas station for our snowblowers.

I feel traumatized. I've never felt as conspicuous in my Tesla as I did going to a gas station and pulling up to a pump. The stench of dead dinosaur on my hands, the fear of overfilling the can and leaking poisonous, flammable liquid all over my shoes. Bringing the can home, filling the tank... same fear... and then not only that sensation of having to check my oil... but realizing I was low, and that I didn't have any! I have to repeat this process again at an auto store!

Stay strong, my electric vehicle brethren, and remember what we gave up to get here. I'm not going back.

... for those of us that have to make the pilgrimage to the gas station for our snowblowers.

I feel traumatized. I've never felt as conspicuous in my Tesla as I did going to a gas station and pulling up to a pump. The stench of dead dinosaur on my hands, the fear of overfilling the can and leaking poisonous, flammable liquid all over my shoes. Bringing the can home, filling the tank... same fear... and then not only that sensation of having to check my oil... but realizing I was low, and that I didn't have any! I have to repeat this process again at an auto store!

Stay strong, my electric vehicle brethren, and remember what we gave up to get here. I'm not going back.

I need diesel for the tractor....1000' of driveway into the farm, and 2 parking lots. Plenty of plowing and snow blowing needed. This was the first Tesla to visit this station....I got a few odd glances.
I put the diesel in the frunk.

Tesla at gas station.jpg

Electric snowblower?
Just used my Lithium powered blower tonight for the first time. It is, seriously lacking :( Had to drag out the old gas one. Got about 2 passes done before the fuel was empty :( ARG!

- - - Updated - - -

I have a SnowJoe electric snowblower. Works great even with deep heavy snow. This is my third winter with it.
Is your SnowJoe Plug in or Lithium Battery Powered? Used my SnowJoe for the first time tonight, the 40v lithium one. Very disappointed.

Just used my Lithium powered blower tonight for the first time. It is, seriously lacking :( Had to drag out the old gas one. Got about 2 passes done before the fuel was empty :( ARG!

- - - Updated - - -

Is your SnowJoe Plug in or Lithium Battery Powered? Used my SnowJoe for the first time tonight, the 40v lithium one. Very disappointed.

Mine is a plug in. Works great. Lots of power. Runs forever

Electric snowblower?
Maybe, if I can find a good one. Most of them suck, bad- I've tried a few. For LIGHT snow, I have a shovel. It is when it is heavy snow (either "heavy" = wet or "heavy" = 10 inches of it) that I'd probably die of a heart attack with one of the flimsy ones.

I have switched to a battery powered electric mower, which works swimmingly. Although I think the 40V charger for it is jealous it doesn't get a dedicated electric branch panel and grounding rod like the HPWC does.

We use a Toro plug in (corded) snow thrower, works great on our 100 foot driveway here in Toronto Canada. Just blew out 5" last night, no problems.

I've got my second Toro1800. the first I had for 11 years until the motor died. As long as I remember it is 'to help with the shoveling' it works OK. for storms higher than 5" I go out multiple times (just like i'd do if shoveling...). the cord is a bit of a pain, but even just 2-3 years ago the battery options weren't available.

I've got my second Toro1800. the first I had for 11 years until the motor died. As long as I remember it is 'to help with the shoveling' it works OK. for storms higher than 5" I go out multiple times (just like i'd do if shoveling...). the cord is a bit of a pain, but even just 2-3 years ago the battery options weren't available.

Picked up the GreenWorks (greenworkstools.com) 80V blower to match my 80V mower and leaf blower from them. Just used the snowblower for the first time with a 10-12'' snow cover and it worked exceptionally well. Better than gas. Even with heavy snow bottom. It made my Toro plug in one look like a toy. All my items from them have been great. With the 2A pack, it is a 30 minute charge time so with 2 packs, you can simply swap batteries and continue working. Highly recommended.

I'd love an electric blower but guessing it will be a while. We have a fair bit of driveway and sidewalk so cords would be a major pain. We're slowly converting yard to rain garden so hopefully an electric mower will be able to do the job sooner rather than later. I'll have to check out Greenworks.

Thought some might enjoy how I get petrol for our ski boat. I've got a half dozen of these cans left over from racing days. I can carry three full cans on my bakfiets but prefer one or two as it gets a bit squirrely with three:

LM600x-13632.jpg

I stop in during the winter from time to time to use the squeegee to clean my windows and lights of salt spray. Does feel kinda weird, and once a guy was filling up his ICE next to me and said his young son had asked why an electric car was at the pumps :biggrin:

Picked up the GreenWorks (greenworkstools.com) 80V blower to match my 80V mower and leaf blower from them. Just used the snowblower for the first time with a 10-12'' snow cover and it worked exceptionally well. Better than gas. Even with heavy snow bottom. It made my Toro plug in one look like a toy. All my items from them have been great. With the 2A pack, it is a 30 minute charge time so with 2 packs, you can simply swap batteries and continue working. Highly recommended.

Thinking it is about time to pick up a blower...will have to check those out.