Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We Need a One Time "Trip Charge" button.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, icon, but maybe you see where I'm coming from:

Once or twice a week I have to make a trip that I can't do with an 80% charge. So I set the charge limit to 100% a few hours before I leave. The next day (or two!) - I realize I forgot to return the setting to 80%.​

Our lowly Soul EV allows one to set the daily charge to 80% and allows a phone or in car selection to full charge to override that as a one time event. Would love to be able to kick a 100% charge as a one-time event.

Thoughts? Have I missed something? Is there a 3rd party solution (I haven't even begun to look at those).

I don't know that there's a good answer here, but the habit I've developed is to check the App before retiring. Mostly I do this to make sure I haven't left the pano open, but I look at the charging screen as long as I'm there.

Another, more automatic, way is to set push notifications and enable the "notify when charging stops". This will show the miles and completion time. You will at least limit the extra 100% to one.

I'd prefer just one charge personally.

Yes it should be customizable for that. I was just thinking when I go on a trip I don't want any charge limits for that day. But then again I'm rarely going to end up at a destination charger where 100% would be possible. I just don't want the car to revert to something less than 100% while I'm supercharging on the way.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
Tesla loves geotags. Could also set this up so that it automatically reverts to your chosen daily value when you arrive back at your normal home charging spot/plug in at home (or have an option to let you do that.)

That way, when you set it high for the trip, you keep the high limit for the duration of your trip (unless you change it,) but as soon as you get home you get back your daily limit.

This being Tesla, I could also see it being set automatically. You load a calendar item for your destination that's beyond normal drive range for the next day, and the car automatically raises the charge limit the night before - or even charges to the normal level that night, but starts a range charge in the early morning hours based on your expected departure time.

Could also build it with a Supercharger based logic - have a setting that always allows 100% charge at SpC stations regardless of the limit you have set otherwise.

Last edited:
There were questions about how to ensure such a feature would not result in reduced EPA ratings. Some discussion about that a few months back. Not sure how relevant it was or is now, but it's a potential complicating factor.

That said, a 1-time 100% charge button would be extremely handy for me as well. I take a lot of trips for work, and sometimes I forget to set the charge limit back down. Generally, I just want the 100% charge before I leave, and not again.

It does prompt you after some limit of days or charges or something, not sure. I had it prompt me once. But the prompt happens long after I would feel comfortable with.

I suppose I need to try to remember to set the limit back down right before leaving on my trip. Maybe I can get in the habit of that.

Reactions: DrivingRockies
Well, more interest than I thought - glad I'm not the only one out there!

jerry33, I also try to check the phone ap each night. considering i'm often pretty wiped out (especially after the long drives) I still miss the setting.

Didn't know that 3 day thing, TexasEV, thanks for the info. I suppose I never discovered it because I am still a bit afraid of harming the battary, I want to keep this thing for a long time! Perhaps I worry too much.

I see where you are going, OBX-John but I agree with DrivingRockies - a one time is all I need. I know code writers hate options - really adds to the testing, so I don't see Tesla offering that any time soon. But a one time 100% - maybe we have a shot at that. Of course Saghost is exactly correct - it is Tesla modus operandi to make things automatic (maybe because we keep forgetting things?). Still, I think a one touch solution is simpler - so maybe. Chopr147 might be right about geofencing as well - but ...

Tesla does not do buttons!, CT200h, rubber or otherwise. Sorry but I'm pretty sure it will be software or nothing.

Skotty, I'm missing something somewhere - how would this result in lower EPA ratings? To be clear I'm not asking for the removal of the current system, just a "one time to 100%" button on the charge page.

Forming good habits is best, but the world keeps knocking us about and throwing our beautifully laid plans awry. Apparently mice suffer from the same problem.

Reactions: OBX John
Okay, icon, but maybe you see where I'm coming from:

Once or twice a week I have to make a trip that I can't do with an 80% charge. So I set the charge limit to 100% a few hours before I leave. The next day (or two!) - I realize I forgot to return the setting to 80%.​

Our lowly Soul EV allows one to set the daily charge to 80% and allows a phone or in car selection to full charge to override that as a one time event. Would love to be able to kick a 100% charge as a one-time event.

Thoughts? Have I missed something? Is there a 3rd party solution (I haven't even begun to look at those).

This doesn't do exactly what you want, but if you leave the 3rd party app Visible Tesla running 24/7 on your PC/Mac, you can set up a notification that will send you an email any time the SOC reaches, say 90% (or whatever level you choose). So if you accidentally leave the car set to 100% after a road trip, next time you plug in, if the charge rises above the set threshold you'd know about it.

There are other notifications you can set using VT as well, but I think that one helps you in the case you mention.

This doesn't do exactly what you want, but if you leave the 3rd party app Visible Tesla running 24/7 on your PC/Mac, you can set up a notification that will send you an email any time the SOC reaches, say 90% (or whatever level you choose). So if you accidentally leave the car set to 100% after a road trip, next time you plug in, if the charge rises above the set threshold you'd know about it.

There are other notifications you can set using VT as well, but I think that one helps you in the case you mention.

Alas but I use an Android phone better than an iPhone, and I don't think visible tesla works with that. I also don't watch my PC or email close enough to do me much good either. Maybe could make it work though. Thanks for the idea!