Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We need a variable setting for automatic high beams.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I began using my auto high beams a month or so ago. It's okay, but I find it to be in too much of a hurry to dim the lights when the in-car sensors see oncoming headlights, or even if the sensors get too much reflection from road signs and markers. Then the computer waits too long to kick the high beams back on again.

So we need an adjustability setting, to make the headlights stay on high beam longer before dimming, and to have them snap back to high beam sooner after the oncoming headlights have passed.

I think a scale of sensitivity of 0-7 sounds about right, and I've come up with some names for each setting.

0- OEM settings
1- Strict by the book excellent driver
2 - Little old lady, but an aggressive Bingo player
3- 20-something college students
4- Stay at home soccer moms with 4 screaming kids in the back seat
5- Fat divorced middle aged cigar smoking businessman who wears sunglasses to drive in his 911 Carrera
6- Typical highway ignoramus driving like an idiot
7- Raging Cokehead A$$hole

Level 7 doesn't dim the high beams for anything less bright than an ambulance or fire truck coming by in the other direction with its lights and siren going.

I think this is a good idea! :)

Reactions: Wingsy
8F2C2289-A466-4F20-AC0C-0027FE66F59C.jpeg
Or I’d be happy if we could choose auto high beam or high beam “on”.
Like this?

I was going to post a question about this subject so I'll do it here. Not to hijack this thread or anything....

Ever since I got my Model 3 SR+ I have been really pleased with the performance of the auto dimming lights. That is, until my car was in the shop for 9 weeks from July to early Oct. Now with a couple of new software versions that I missed, it's awful. It dims way too late for both oncoming cars and cars ahead of me. Part of the service was replacing the windshield and that's the only hardware thing related to that problem that may have changed. It was replaced twice and after the first replacement the service center said things should get better after the 2nd windshield was installed. It didn't. So my conclusion is that they changed the software related to auto dimming. I hope Tesla hears the OP and makes it adjustable.

Have you ever noticed that when you're in a curve to the left that it dims earlier for oncoming cars than it does if you're in a right curve or straight road? I think that's because the low beams of oncoming cars are pointed just a tad to the right and that makes them brighter when approaching one that is to your left (their right). And another interesting thing is how the car knows that lights along the side of the road do not (usually) cause auto dimming to kick in. Is it because the car detects those lights as having a 120Hz flicker? Is that how they do it?