Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We need an Autopilot Passcode Lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are videos from the summer. Software updates haven't changed a thing. There are a couple lights on this highway. The glitch remains.

My hands were on the wheel, the car was slow.
The autopilot followed the curved line and veered towards the semi beside me.
My quick reaction avoided the car going under the truck.

While autopilot is a handy feature, it is not perfect.
I do not trust other family members or friends to have a reaction time in milliseconds in a situation like this. Those driving my car who stumble on the feature or wish to try it would be putting themselves at the same risk as speeding.

It's not the first time or location autopilot couldn't assess the road in my experience.
If we have a passcode lock for speed, we need one for autopilot. In the name of safety.

IMG_3510.mp4
IMG_3511.mp4

If you always keep at least one hand on the wheel while using Auto Pilot and are paying attention, as you should, a “reaction time in milliseconds” is not required when it fails to do what you expect it to do.

I agree that you should not let anyone use Auto Pilot in your car unless you provide them some basic ground rules first. I would never let someone else drive my car on Auto Pilot without first explaining its limitations and then riding along with them as a passenger while they try using it for the first time.

If you always keep at least one hand on the wheel while using Auto Pilot and are paying attention, as you should, a “reaction time in milliseconds” is not required when it fails to do what you expect it to do.

I agree that you should not let anyone use Auto Pilot in your car unless you provide them some basic ground rules first. I would never let someone else drive my car on Auto Pilot without first explaining its limitations and then riding along with them as a passenger while they try using it for the first time.
We tell people and teach them not to speed as well but we still find a speed limit lock in our cars which is great. An extra safety measure.
Hopefully in a future update....

Reactions: DavidB
Your car is a lethal weapon if not used responsibly, autopilot or not. Use it responsibly and require those you allow to use it to do the same. You can call it your own personal passcode if you like. And FYI you can call that a highway but it does not meet the definition of a highway suitable for AP use as defined by Tesla because it has intersections. You should not be using autopilot on a road that has intersections.

• Love
Reactions: calidreamz808
You should read the manual and waiver that was signed. Please point out Tesla's definition of a highway because I cannot find it.

The government has labeled this a highway.

Section on Autosteer in the manual:

"Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited access roads with a fully attentive driver"

The section on Autosteer and restricted speed:

"If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowable cruising speed"

I agree that common sense is ideal but accidents happen. Airbags, seatbelts, horns, etc. are there to minimize risk. Perhaps instead of a "we need Autopilot passcode lock" post, it should have been, "remove speed limit passcode lock and airbags etc. because we are all very smart, all family and friends that drives our cars are intelligent and never make mistakes or stray from rules"

The technology in this car is amazing. Plenty of claims of being the safest car in the world. If it can be made just a bit safer, I'm sure many would accept and appreciate that extra peace of mind.

These are videos from the summer. Software updates haven't changed a thing. There are a couple lights on this highway. The glitch remains.

My hands were on the wheel, the car was slow.
The autopilot followed the curved line and veered towards the semi beside me.
My quick reaction avoided the car going under the truck.

While autopilot is a handy feature, it is not perfect.
I do not trust other family members or friends to have a reaction time in milliseconds in a situation like this. Those driving my car who stumble on the feature or wish to try it would be putting themselves at the same risk as speeding.

It's not the first time or location autopilot couldn't assess the road in my experience.
If we have a passcode lock for speed, we need one for autopilot. In the name of safety.

IMG_3510.mp4
IMG_3511.mp4

I know this stretch of highway. Yes the autopilot isn't complete and still under (BETA) testing, especially at traffic light controlled intersections. I have had lots of individuals drive my vehicle on autopilot also. I make it a rule to not let idiots drive my vehicle who think it's a self driving car. Because it's not.

You should read the manual and waiver that was signed. Please point out Tesla's definition of a highway because I cannot find it.

The government has labeled this a highway.

Section on Autosteer in the manual:

"Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited access roads with a fully attentive driver"

The section on Autosteer and restricted speed:

"If you choose to use Autosteer on residential roads, a road without a center divider, or a road where access is not limited, Autosteer may limit the maximum allowable cruising speed"

Before you were able to use Autopilot, you had to read the following conditions for proper use:

D3FEF6CB-37AC-483F-9256-D23BA40AC8B6.png

Strange I didn't get this screen at delivery.

I guess someone must have enabled Autosteer for you, which would be odd, but I could see it happening. Do not think it is on by default.

You can still take a picture of it! Disable then re-enable. I believe this is on a per driver profile basis so a new driver would have to re-enable it (but not sure about that!).

Its early so maybe I'm not reading replies correctly .. but rather than suggest whether it is a desirable feature to be able to disable AP (or any advanced feature for that matter) for drivers not familiar with the car (or it's manual) the replies seemed to all be RTFM

I haven't let anyone drive my car w/o me in it because I know that even with suggestion, folks aren't getting into a car and thinking they need instruction to drive it.. they think they just know like 99% of other cars rolling around here..