Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We need an Autopilot Passcode Lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would expect AP to not make the mistake it did but I see why since lines were not continuous but broke off for a bit and then back to normal. I agree with others, not to be used on roads with signals and merging lanes with bad markings. Glad you did not end up under the truck and used AP correctly with full attention on the road

Its early so maybe I'm not reading replies correctly .. but rather than suggest whether it is a desirable feature to be able to disable AP (or any advanced feature for that matter) for drivers not familiar with the car (or it's manual) the replies seemed to all be RTFM

I haven't let anyone drive my car w/o me in it because I know that even with suggestion, folks aren't getting into a car and thinking they need instruction to drive it.. they think they just know like 99% of other cars rolling around here..

I am the same. And yes, there are two threads here really. The OP was defending his use of AP outside of its intended use as per the manual (hence the RTFM posts). However, yes, aside from this it WOULD seem a good idea to provide AP lockout on a drivers profile. Though this would also require some kind of lockout on changing profiles too, which gets complex and messy fast.

That sure contradicts the manual. The bits about cross traffic roads and residential roads.

Strange I didn't get this screen at delivery. Definitely would have taken a pic to show other drivers.

I have to say that I didn't get that screen either. Also, you know that initial AP calibration effort folks refer to, my 3 came pre-calibrated. One day I just turned it on and it worked. I suspect the guy that delivered it to my home, ~30 miles from the SC, may have cal'd it on his way to deliver it to me.

I am the same. And yes, there are two threads here really. The OP was defending his use of AP outside of its intended use as per the manual (hence the RTFM posts). However, yes, aside from this it WOULD seem a good idea to provide AP lockout on a drivers profile. Though this would also require some kind of lockout on changing profiles too, which gets complex and messy fast.

This was exactly the purpose of the post. I was defending my understanding of the system, which is similar to many out there. It shows human error and won’t be the first time for someone.

A BETA system should have the option to be inaccessible until it is officially released.

This was exactly the purpose of the post. I was defending my understanding of the system, which is similar to many out there. It shows human error and won’t be the first time for someone.

A BETA system should have the option to be inaccessible until it is officially released.

But how do you propose such a thing works? Another PIN? The valet mode PIN is ok since it's hardly everyday that you use a valet. But the beta lockout PIN is presumably used more often, daily perhaps if the car is shared with family members. Wouldn't explaining the correct operation of the car be a better approach?

A PIN that works just like the speed limit PIN and sentry mode. Enabled and disabled from the phone or car itself when needed. If I know my 16 year old needs to take my car, I’ll turn it on. Just like I could with the speed limit.

Embedded in profiles, possibly. Wouldn’t work for shared keys though. That would require a lot more software changes like a master PIN or key that can override profile settings.

I’m sure there may be other ways. I’d like to hear suggestions too.

Simple easy way. Using only one existing code. Choose your toggles. Mix and match

Instead of:

Safety & Security
—- Speed Limit Mode (PIN activated)
> on/off

Change to:

Safety & Security
—- Driving Restrictions (PIN activated)
> Speed Limit Mode (on/off)
> Autosteer BETA (on/off)