Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We need to create a 2017 or 2018 West Coast Tesla Event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How about Kettleman City or Baker because of the number of Superchargers.

Found this about them:
Tesla has opened new Supercharger stations in California, the largest it has built to date. These are a new kind of Supercharger for the automaker, with not only the most stalls of any Supercharger station to date, at 40 per station, but also a dedicated “customer lounge” at one of the new locations.

The new Supercharger in Kettleman City (the other being in Baker, Calif.) features the lounge, which has food and “craft beverages,” as well as restrooms, seating, free Wi-Fi and a Tesla apparel and accessory shop, as well as a play area for kids, and a spot for pets traveling with Tesla owners to do their business. There’s also outdoor space, and the lounge is available 24/7 to Tesla drivers, with access granted via a code provided them directly on their Tesla’s infotainment display.

How about Kettleman City or Baker because of the number of Superchargers.

Found this about them:
Tesla has opened new Supercharger stations in California, the largest it has built to date. These are a new kind of Supercharger for the automaker, with not only the most stalls of any Supercharger station to date, at 40 per station, but also a dedicated “customer lounge” at one of the new locations.

The new Supercharger in Kettleman City (the other being in Baker, Calif.) features the lounge, which has food and “craft beverages,” as well as restrooms, seating, free Wi-Fi and a Tesla apparel and accessory shop, as well as a play area for kids, and a spot for pets traveling with Tesla owners to do their business. There’s also outdoor space, and the lounge is available 24/7 to Tesla drivers, with access granted via a code provided them directly on their Tesla’s infotainment display.
Kettleman City is a good locale, should attract a large crowd from both Northern and Southern California.

Now the only question is when to schedule this meetup? How about the second weekend in January?

I’d like to see the annual Sound of Silence gathering (this year coming up being the 5th annual) aka the Black Hills Tesla Rally in Custer, South Dakota (always the 3rd week of May) grow to achieve that objective - both because the mayor wants Custer to be the Sturgis of EVs, and because this year Custer will have a Supercharger location.

The Sound of Silence rally has grown five-fold since its humble beginnings and uniquely draws from both coasts as well as Florida and Canada. It’s an easy 2-day drive and an easier 3-day drive from Los Angeles. It should be an at least one-time pilgrimage for every Tesla owner - there are multiple aspects that make that particular rally the most special on the continent.

That said, if you want a multi-hundred car event in or near California, you’d almost have to have it within some sort of proximity to a large SC. Although not necessarily *at* one. For example, Hilton Head Island (South Carolina) is a great venue maybe 40 miles from the Savannah SC.

Vegas has all sorts of lodging and is near 20 or more stalls, between both Vegas SCs and Primm, not to mention Baker and Yermo.

You could try to organize a one-off at or near Kettleman but logistically one has to wonder if there’s room for whatever the record would have to be - is it 250 cars now?

Reactions: Big Earl
I don't think any single SpC site could accommodate that many EVs. That being said, i also don't believe it is necessary to have a charging facility nearby. We just need a very large, open place to handle several hundred vehicles. Maybe a location equidistant to several large superchargers would be more conducive to such an event. We know our cars can get just about anywhere, but near the area of the highest density of Teslas per capita would likely increase the chances of breaking that record.

Any other suggestions?

Could do this in stages:

A fun competition between NorCal and SoCal and then a central gathering midway.

Whether in stages or just one shot, if I needed a venue with a few hundred parking spots, the first places that come to mind are a sports venue not on game/race day or a closed mall property.

To gain sanctioned access, perhaps enlisting the aid of a local owners club gets that done. For example, the LA Club had an event at Santa Anita a couple of years ago and might have a good contact.

In SoCal, venues would include but are by no means limited to:
Santa Anita racetrack
Dodger or Angels stadia
Staples
the Honda Center.
One of the remaining huge vacant lots near/at the Ports

Midway between (Central CA), county fairgrounds come to mind.

Desireable tenets:
Parking
Restrooms
Easy in/out
Within 75 miles of an SC

How hard can this be :).

We could contact the International Agri-Center in Tulare.

International Agri-Center / Tulare, CA

This location is close enough to Harris Ranch, Kettleman City, and Fresno Superchargers for a round-trip drive to recharge. Larger batteries might even be able to make it round trip from Tejon Ranch too.

This is a very large complex, and it is roughly halfway between the Bay Area and Los Angeles.

Just can't schedule it when they are having farm shows or tractor exhibitions or the like. :eek:

I could see an EVent scheduled at the new Carlsbad SC for all Tesla owners in San Diego / Orange county, even welcome anyone else who wishes to visit San Diego area. I will be happy to help host, but living in SE San Diego would make it difficult to be responsible hosting this EVent.

If you want to do this state-wide, then we need to select a central location. I prefer a location that can be done in a day trip. Weekend time is very valuable to me and I am sure to many of you.

Kettleman City is a day roundtrip from both NorCal and SoCal. My preference would be Harris Ranch. We could hang by the pool. But that is too far for a SoCal day trip. So Kettleman City it is!

Let's schedule Kettleman City 2/18, the Sunday of President's Day weekend. Smack in the middle of the weekend to avoid the holiday traffic.

Not a lot of responses yet to your stake in the ground. :oops: I think Kettleman City is a good central location, and I like the Sunday timing, although the advantage of a holiday weekend might also be a disadvantage if folks have made other plans already. Is a 4 week advance notice enough to get >250 car attendance?

Edit: 2/18/18 works for me. Just not sure if it's enough time to break any records.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
2/18 works for me also tentatively at the moment, although a recent incursion may alter that availability. Neither location has really great eating options and although it is true Kettleman City has greater charging capacity than Harris Ranch (40 vs 18), although only about 15 minutes away from Harris ranch, the lack of nearby amenities may make Kettleman a less desirable location.

What are your thoughts about my personal preference Salinas (14), or Manteca (20) or Gustine/Santa Nella (12)? Each appears slightly more equidistant from Northernmost and Southernmost points in California.

Salinas and Manteca both have numerous amenities, ample parking and could handle the brief influx of EV enthusiasts for a one day stopover.

My wife and I would like to attend a SoCal EVent at the new Supercharger at San Clemente if someone can coordinate it.

This would be good for any Tesla owner from the southern border all the way to Los Angeles. The Kettleman City EVent would be good for those from Sacramento to central valley.

Someone may even set up something in Riverside at the new Urban Supercharger for those closer to that location.

No need to only have one location. Lets try to keep the driving time to less than 2 hours.

jmho

I have set the day aside, 2/18. Where shall we meet? Along the I5 corridor would bring more of us together. Kettleman City is interesting since it is new. Good point that there really aren't great amenities there. I am all for a meet up at Kettleman, then a lunch break at Harris Ranch just up the road. Thoughts?

Kettleman City is at least a 3 hour drive for many of us, and could require a short intermediate charge stop depending on your battery capacity. Haven't been there yet, and it would definitely be cool if there was enough turnout to reach its capacity. If it's too far to come for SoCal folks, then maybe we should consider something closer to NorCal that would save some driving time. I'd also be fine with Salinas, Manteca, Gustine (pea soup!), or Harris (meat!) But since Kettleman is a "mega" supercharger, it really seems like an ideal meeting spot.

Like @Blu Zap , I'd want this to be a day trip and not require an overnight stay. Getting on the road around 7:00-7:30 AM, we could be at Kettleman City by 10:00-10:30, spend a couple hours drinking Tesla's coffee and chatting, then leave around 12:30 to go up to Harris Ranch for lunch (where folks who don't want to go all the way to KC could meet us), and be back home by dinner time. Sounds like a doable plan, I think.

Reactions: Blu Zap
Just a thought : Why not make it a Tailgate Party, someone bring the grill, or grills, and everyone bring their favorite meat, plus a side dish to share. As long as everyone brings enough for their own group, plus a little more there should be plenty for everyone.

This way, Kettleman will work just fine.

Anyone else in the Southern California area want to join us at the San Clemente Supercharger???

We could also do the Tailgate Party. Not much of a meet-up if everyone just goes to their preferred restaurant.

This way, Kettleman will work just fine.

Anyone else in the Southern California area want to join us at the San Clemente Supercharger???
The proposal was for a statewide event. To be equitable, that implies meeting somewhere in the middle where most of us would have a similar drive coming from either NorCal or SoCal. A meetup that provides an excuse to take a road trip in your Tesla is a great idea, as is the idea to bring enough food (and water) to share.

We unfortunately aren't going to find a perfect time and location that works for everyone, and the drive would obviously be longest if you were coming from either San Diego or Crescent City. Organizing a separate event because the proposed event doesn't work is certainly an option, although that means we aren't all coming together in one place.

It's definitely hard to plan these things. I think the suggestion to do Kettleman City on 2/18 might actually work for 7 of the 8 people who've posted so far. :)

Reactions: Blu Zap
Road trip! Joann and I will make it. Kettleman City or other location further North works for us. Kettleman City is new and unique, so worth the visit. Our friend Alex Guberman aka "E for Electric" on YouTube did a special trip there and back to document it on his channel.

Question is, will we get Tesla owners from SoCal and a good turnout from NorCal too at Kettleman City? I think we will end up with a core group of "for sure" attendees.

Once we decide we are doing this, I will put it out on Facebook on the Northern California Tesla Owners and Model S Owners groups. That will get it out to more California owners.