Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We need to STOP feeding the media

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This story came out yesterday ...

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In-Gear/2014/0111/Tesla-Motors-douses-f1re-concerns-with-upgraded-wall-charger

(If the link doesn't work now replace the 1 with a i),

quoting this forum extensively and the word F1R3!!!

As far as I am aware this adapter thing is a non-issue. even when Tesla pushed that firmware upgrade 2 weeks ago that reduced charging load by 25% I was smiling thinking, wow, how clever.
The media spun it ... where there's sm0ke!

Seriously, I think when it comes to this malignant word, we need to STOP spreading it (sorry), talk it over with our Tesla reps and if we don't get a logical answer then, perhaps post here.
But we're not doing ourselves any good fanning the fl4m3s here.

Just waiting for TSLA to take another (small?) dive Monday when / if this goes viral.

I am not suggesting censorship, just that we use common sense when discussing this stuff. Unless it's a troll, in which case mods have the right and duty to extinguish the post!

Tesla Motors douses fire concerns with upgraded wall charger - CSMonitor.com

- - - Updated - - -

So, stop feeding the media is one way to look at it, but sometimes it takes pressure from the media to affect change, particularly change that will have a negative financial impact on the company involved. Are you saying that the people who's adapters smoked or melted shouldn't have posted that here? That seems irresponsible to me. Guarantee I'm going to post if I have a safety or serious functionality issue with my Tesla or any related components.

At least the CS Monitor provided the reference rather than anonymously quoting from the site without giving credit.

"The media" in this case is just some freelance blogger and self-professed "car fiend", Stephen Edelstein (aka @SAEdelstein on Twittter).

This article won't get any play, it's just Edelstein racking up a few dollars (or pennies) for a rehash of the Bloomberg Businessweek article. It means nothing. Move along.

It's a fine line, imo. I want to see this forum stay independent - and that means posting the bad along with all the good and the accolades and the excitement.

I think what we need to be watchful for is that people are factual without drawing conclusions before there is data to support. Rampant speculation is almost always harmful and all of us fall victim to that at times (whether it is over a problem or in excitement as to what is coming next). Hard to tamp that down.

As a moderator, I don't want to play the role of censor. That's not what I signed up for here. Overall I think the forum members are pretty good at telling others to 'dial down the drama' when necessary (as witnessed by some posts I sent to snippiness yesterday). I think we're doing pretty good.

So, stop feeding the media is one way to look at it, but sometimes it takes pressure from the media to affect change, particularly change that will have a negative financial impact on the company involved. Are you saying that the people who's adapters smoked or melted shouldn't have posted that here? That seems irresponsible to me. Guarantee I'm going to post if I have a safety or serious functionality issue with my Tesla or any related components.

Hi Evan.

In fairness what the original poster said was:

... talk it over with our Tesla reps and if we don't get a logical answer then, perhaps post here.

Larry

I agree with others that it's a fine line. When I hear someone say that they have to use an oven mitt to unplug their UMC, I'm more worried about people getting hurt and more F1r3s than I am about bad media attention, and of course, someone actually getting hurt is going to dramatically increase the bad coverage. I personally feel that this group is devoted to helping Tesla uncover things that could lead to bigger problems long term and in this regard, I think the pressure helped spur a solution that has likely nipped the problem in the bud and averted much more severe occurances. I am very pleased with how Tesla has responded and I believe the heating issue will be put to rest with a heat sensor build into the plug, bravo Tesla for such quick turn around time with finding a solution and getting it manufactured and headed out to customers so soon, surely this was no small task!

I think what we need to be watchful for is that people are factual without drawing conclusions before there is data to support. Rampant speculation is almost always harmful and all of us fall victim to that at times (whether it is over a problem or in excitement as to what is coming next). Hard to tamp that down.
Totally agree. We have no evidence that the hovercraft feature is responsible for any fires to date.

I don't know how long we can keep the hovercraft feature a secret. The media is bound to get their hands on it someday. It's just too good to keep under wraps.

ygadenuz.jpg

Freedom of speech has to do with the government; not what you post on a privately run forum. The forum owners have the right to censor whatever they want. The government does not have the right to censor what a private forum publishes, nor can they charge you with a speech crime (with the aforementioned exceptions).

Of course if this forum starts censoring the negative stuff I post about Tesla, just because the media picks it up, I'll simply stop using the forum.

Freedom of speech has to do with the government; not what you post on a privately run forum. The forum owners have the right to censor whatever they want. The government does not have the right to censor what a private forum publishes, nor can they charge you with a speech crime (with the aforementioned exceptions).

Agreed.

Of course if this forum starts censoring the negative stuff I post about Tesla, just because the media picks it up, I'll simply stop using the forum.

So would I, but that's not what the original poster is suggesting, nor is it what Bonnie is promoting.

Larry