Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We survived a HORRIBLE accident thanks to our Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Model S M.D.

Ludicrous Radiologist
Oct 31, 2015
TX
About 2 weeks ago, a car ran a red light at full speed and smashed into my Model S which caused a second collision with a large SUV. It happened so fast I didn't even have time to react. Every airbag in the car deployed. As the airbag smoke cleared, my wife and I realized we weren't seriously injured and we both miraculously walked away from the accident.

As you can see from the picture, the lack of an engine of front (large crumple zone) allowed the frunk to absorb most of the energy of the high impact. The passenger cabin was essentially untouched.

Thank you Elon Musk and Tesla for saving my wife and I from serious injury and possibly death. Soon after the accident, I ordered another Model S without hesitation. This is how much faith I have in the company and the safety of their cars.

Accident.jpg

Yet another Tesla down due to some oaf running a red light... thankfully, just lIke the Model X, everyone walked away relatively unscathed! This is exactly why we bought our S. Thank you for sharing and my condolences regarding the vehicle. By the way, what kind of vehicle was it that hit you initially?

Reactions: Model S M.D.
Glad you are OK.

Sidebar, when you ride a motorcycle on the street, you ASSUME cars will run red lights. Why? Because if don't ride that way, you don't live long. Cars run red lights all the time, and with the advent of the Cellphone, it's more common than ever.

The most survivable crash is the one you dodge.

Last edited:
It really doesn't imply that the S or X would be better than another vehicle.

Disagree!

Massive crumple zones, greatly reduced side cabin intrusion due to pack rigidity, roof structure so damn strong that it breaks the friggin' roof crush fixture at NHTSA. I say no more.

So glad MSMD and wife are fine! !

Btw, I don't know if your a Dr. or not, but you should be mindful of using an authentic X-Ray of a well known T.V. star as your avatar due to existing privacy laws.:)

Safety is the primary reason why I decided on the Model S, even though I love the technology. The Model S is NOT the same as other cars in that regard, as measured by Consumer Reports a while back (they needed to recalibrate their standards because the Model S did so well). According to Wikipedia, there was about 1 death by automobile per 100,000,000 miles driven. All things being equal (not a valid assumption, but something to play with), if Models S and X have been driven 3 billion miles, then one would expect 30 deaths in Teslas by now. I don't think that there has been anything like that number. Model S MD's decision to buy his Model S may just have saved his life and that of his wife.

Who knows if a Tesla is safe-R than an equivalent car with an engine, but suffice to say it seems Tesla's hold up very well (at least as far as protecting occupants) in accidents.

As a side note, I always check and make sure no one is trying to blow a red light before I proceed on a green light. You never know if some nut is speeding down the road oblivious to what's in front of them.

Disagree!

Massive crumple zones, greatly reduced side cabin intrusion due to pack rigidity, roof structure so damn strong that it breaks the friggin' roof crush fixture at NHTSA. I say no more.

So glad MSMD and wife are fine! !

Btw, I don't know if your a Dr. or not, but you should be mindful of using an authentic X-Ray of a well known T.V. star as your avatar due to existing privacy laws.:)

Note on the side that the heavy bottom rail didn't protect the passenger door. One safety negative of the necessary low height is the many taller, heavy vehicles on the road.

In this particular crash I suspect that every large expensive sedan would do about as well. The end result may have been tragic in a typical small car.

Tesla is likely superior to all ICE in a head-on accident.

• Funny
Reactions: LimoX
Who knows if a Tesla is safe-R than an equivalent car with an engine

Me! (holding my hand high)

Relatively speaking, the S when tested had an above 5-star safety rating. I think it actually had a 5.5-star rating but NHTSA got their panties in a twist when Elon stated so a while back.

I too look both directions while crossing an intersection since I putt around town on a scooter (ZRX1200R) that for some crazy reason lifts the front tire off the pavement.