Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Came across this internal memo that sheds a lot of light on what's to come this March. Excited!

View attachment 102849

"Ledeez" :biggrin:

OK, this is the one "render" that doesn't annoy the snot out of me. I hate "renders" - I don't care what some random person on the internet thinks the car will look like. I only want to see the real thing. "Renders" get my hopes up for a half second for nothing.

This is not a render. Just photoshop. Take the pictures of the model X presentation... put a model S roof... and... autoblog "render".

I'm sure model 3 will be much better than this.

The original picture:

teslamodelxlaunch-02-640x424.jpg

I would be content if it looked just like that photoshop. I am nervous about styling that is too "fashion forward".

Here is the autoblog photo so everyone doesn't have to click through:

tesla-model-3-render-1-1.jpg

Edit: It looks like a different angle from my point of view, so maybe not just photoshop. Still, you might say its a "photoshop" to mean it is very lightly modified and be correct.

Edit2: lighting artifacts are the same. its a photoshop.

Elon does seem to have a low threshold of engineering boredom. (Not to mention a bit of a fixation with the word "Falcon"). And according to J B, the 3 will be mostly new technology.

I can't see them doing all that development only to wrap it up as a mini-me S with X door handles and nose. Elon will be all - "been there, done that."
Besides, by 2018 we should be seeing all these supposed Tesla-killers, which will be approximate clones of the S and X anyway. The 3 needs to stand out and widen the gap between Tesla and the rest.

Elon does seem to have a low threshold of engineering boredom. (Not to mention a bit of a fixation with the word "Falcon"). And according to J B, the 3 will be mostly new technology.

I can't see them doing all that development only to wrap it up as a mini-me S with X door handles and nose. Elon will be all - "been there, done that."
Besides, by 2018 we should be seeing all these supposed Tesla-killers, which will be approximate clones of the S and X anyway. The 3 needs to stand out and widen the gap between Tesla and the rest.

Oh please Elon, no. The X overshot the market need. While the falcon doors may indeed be a selling point exactly zero people were clamoring for them. Elon is making a mistake if he thinks it needs to stand out. The 3 can be exactly as good as the imaginary model 3 equivalents (the Bolt does not qualify) and still sell out for 10 years. Please Elon, optimize for a pretty, smaller model S with an X front and optimize for *manufacturability*. This is the investor in me talking. As a probably model 3 buyer I would want it to be 50k worth of car for 35k, but as an investor I want it optimized for efficiency and cost.

Please no! No more renders... every time one comes up and I happen to mention it to my flatmate he says "Oh, I didn't know that's what the Model 3 looks like" and I have to reiterate that it's JUST A CONCEPT, and no details have been released and won't be until next March.

Show me the real thing, Elon!

Thanks,
Your friendly neighborhood Teslanatic, and future Model 3 owner.

Please no! No more renders... every time one comes up and I happen to mention it to my flatmate he says "Oh, I didn't know that's what the Model 3 looks like" and I have to reiterate that it's JUST A CONCEPT, and no details have been released and won't be until next March.

Show me the real thing, Elon!

Thanks,
Your friendly neighborhood Teslanatic, and future Model 3 owner.
Why do you have to insult your roommate like that?

Did you notice the Turbine wheels copied from the Model S?

Then again, Model S Turbine wheels are based on a Lorinser Design. In fact, the Model S prototype did actually have the Lorinser wheels. The design was slightly changed for the production version turbine wheels, but it is not really a completely original Tesla design per se.
Plus, many other alloys sported some kind of turbine design before the Model S.

Then again, Model S Turbine wheels are based on a Lorinser Design. In fact, the Model S prototype did actually have the Lorinser wheels. The design was slightly changed for the production version turbine wheels, but it is not really a completely original Tesla design per se.
Plus, many other alloys sported some kind of turbine design before the Model S.

Interesting ... another twist on the turbine wheel.

IMO, 3 needs to be very good to sell in large numbers. Unlike the few hundred who visit this sub forum, buyers everywhere are not yet sold on EVs. Even with superchargers going everywhere an ICE can go is inconvenient or even not possible.

IMO, 3 needs to be very good to sell in large numbers. Unlike the few hundred who visit this sub forum, buyers everywhere are not yet sold on EVs. Even with superchargers going everywhere an ICE can go is inconvenient or even not possible.

Have you seen the crappy cars other people drive? It won't take much past just "ok" to allow many people to be interested in the Model 3. Of course, getting to "ok" is harder today with competition than when Musk was born and all cars were awful crap, thanks to Carter!

Right about now, I bet engineers are starting to present slides that say "How much is safety worth? We know we can give $100,000 car buyers a safe ride, but we're not going to be able to pull it off for a $35,000 car, unless it is something no one wants. Time to make your choices now." Of course, I'm forgetting that the sled system creates a huge crumple zone, so this might not be as bad a cost as I feared.

Here's my other question: by the time the Configurator for the Model 3 has less than a one month wait time between hitting the TeslaMotors.Com website and receiving your car, will it be a better deal for some of us to just buy a used depreciated Model S or X? By then, it will be about half a decade. Let's see, a 2010 S550 is: $35,000. But! A 2009 S550 is $30K, and a 2008 S550 is only $25K. So a 2013 Model S will be around $25K in 2020, just 2 years after the Model 3 is slated to come out. A 2013 Model S will be $35K at the same time the Model 3 comes out for $35K. No one will want it because it only gets (I mean has) 60KWh and no AP at all (not even 1.0), and it will be bouncy and rattling around, all for no warrantee. But, will it still be safer than a Model 3?

I think the new Model S/X owners as soon as S/X come out of warrantee will be the REAL pioneers of the EV age. We'll know firsthand how these cars hold up, for real.

Have you seen the crappy cars other people drive? It won't take much past just "ok" to allow many people to be interested in the Model 3. Of course, getting to "ok" is harder today with competition than when Musk was born and all cars were awful crap, thanks to Carter!

Right about now, I bet engineers are starting to present slides that say "How much is safety worth? We know we can give $100,000 car buyers a safe ride, but we're not going to be able to pull it off for a $35,000 car, unless it is something no one wants. Time to make your choices now." Of course, I'm forgetting that the sled system creates a huge crumple zone, so this might not be as bad a cost as I feared.

Here's my other question: by the time the Configurator for the Model 3 has less than a one month wait time between hitting the TeslaMotors.Com website and receiving your car, will it be a better deal for some of us to just buy a used depreciated Model S or X? By then, it will be about half a decade. Let's see, a 2010 S550 is: $35,000. But! A 2009 S550 is $30K, and a 2008 S550 is only $25K. So a 2013 Model S will be around $25K in 2020, just 2 years after the Model 3 is slated to come out. A 2013 Model S will be $35K at the same time the Model 3 comes out for $35K. No one will want it because it only gets (I mean has) 60KWh and no AP at all (not even 1.0), and it will be bouncy and rattling around, all for no warrantee. But, will it still be safer than a Model 3?

I think the new Model S/X owners as soon as S/X come out of warrantee will be the REAL pioneers of the EV age. We'll know firsthand how these cars hold up, for real.
I've been thinking about this a lot. Used S prices are going to be entering new 3 prices at about the same time and we won't have to wait for a used S. I saw a used 2012 S for under 50k on the CPO site a few days ago and wanted to bite. Time will tell, it always does.

its not the 100K price that makes the Model S a safe ride, its the design, low battery in the floor, no large engine in the front of the car, it should be easy enough to make the Model 3 almost as safe as the Model S

Good or clever design need not cost a lot of money

- - - Updated - - -

How many people have even driven an EV yet, my brother has spent years laughing and bashing EVs but it only took a short test drive in a Nissan Leaf for him to change his tune and see that the BEV is the future

Once the model 3 hits the streets and people get a test drive demand will go through the roof