Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it's going to have 4 doors. And 100% they won't be falcon wing doors. Tesla learned that lesson the hard way and it cost them dearly and will continue to do so.

Elon Musk doesn't usually mention future features and not deliver. He did sort of walk back his talk of the Model Y, but not the comment about falcon wing doors on a version of the Model 3 (or possibly Y).

Not only would I hate that, so would the general public looking for a family car I submit to you. That is not practical at all.

I would really hate it if they made it with double exhausts pipes on each side ;)

I think Tesla can really stand out from the crowd and attract new customers if they make a sedan that has some aggressive and retro lines such as the IDx concept, albeit with four doors. Of course they could always do something like this, but that doesn't look compelling enough to me.

BMW-Compact-sedan-5-1440x954.jpg

I don't get the whole argument of the weather elements vs. falcon wing doors. ALL doors open. A falcon wing door opens like the back hatch of most minivans as far as opening size goes.
For all intents and purposes, a FWD opens and closes about the same speed as an automatic sliding minivan door, but it provides more advantages.

As per Elon's tweet, if the Y has FWDs, better stop whining and accept the fact! :)

Those that live in northern climates are already used to the cold, and any perceived worsening of weather impact will be negligent. Are people that weak, that they can't handle a slight breeze or blowing wind/rain?

My criticism wasn't directed towards falcon wing doors - but rather the concept of having only a single door which exposes the driver to the elements when (s)he is picking up a backseat passenger. Also, it has nothing to do with "being so weak that can't handle little rain" but convenience.

1208 said:
But -20C to you Finnish people is like a summers breeze. You are acclimatised to it. :biggrin:

Sure, I'm just looking out for you guys when the breezer hits :p

The "lesson" Tesla learned with the X Falcon Wings is that now they know how to build them. It's not rocket science. And if they use them for the Model Y (as a tweet from Elon last year indicated they would) then mass producing the mechanism will reduce the cost.

I think the lesson learned was outsourcing can cause headaches.

BTW that Nagare concept looks very interesting as a possible starting point.