Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • TMC Podcast #21 will stream live today at 1PM PDT. We will be discussing the wider release of FSD Beta, as well as other topics. As always, you can watch it and participate in the live chat on YouTube.

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
I thought it was interesting that Elon did not refer to the $35k price tag but instead he indicated it would "roughly cut the price in half". That makes much more sense.
He has said this before so it will be fascinating to see if he begins to hedge on the $35k price tag going forward which is frankly what he should have been saying all along.
Might have to do with market he was speaking in too. The prices in Hong Kong will not be the same due to exchange rate and any tariffs/shipping costs.

This is the single best thing I've heard here in months. PLEASE let it be true!!!
Don't read too much into it. My first thought was, "YEAH!" Then I realized he's just talking in general terms, since he also said he can't comment on what the Model 3 will look like.

I'm pretty sure he's just saying that there will be a smaller Tesla electric that will work on the Tesla infrastructure (supercharging). Nothing more. The look and the amenities are still completely unknown (to us), and since he's previously gone on record saying that it will not look like just a smaller Model S (and he knew then roughly what it would look like), I expect a different overall design from the S.

I do think that it will have supercharging built in on all models, and that it will have at least Google Maps built-in, and perhaps full navigation as an upgrade option. This is necessary to meet his press release statements about ending range anxiety for Tesla owners. You have to be able to find and use that supercharging network.

I enjoy hearing what Elon Musk has to say in general, and I'm always thrilled to hear him speak of the Model 3, but we're not hearing anything new here, just confirmation that it's still on track.

I do think that it will have supercharging built in on all models, and that it will have at least Google Maps built-in, and perhaps full navigation as an upgrade option. This is necessary to meet his press release statements about ending range anxiety for Tesla owners. You have to be able to find and use that supercharging network.

*shrugs* I wouldn't be surprised if the base model would be missing supercharging access. The "all bells and whistles" comment makes me hope he is only speaking of the base model, which I have never assumed to be "as good as" model S as opposed the model 3 in general (maxed out options). What would be a major disappointment for me would be that you couldn't upgrade your model 3 to be "model S level".

wdolson

Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
Don't read too much into it. My first thought was, "YEAH!" Then I realized he's just talking in general terms, since he also said he can't comment on what the Model 3 will look like.

I'm pretty sure he's just saying that there will be a smaller Tesla electric that will work on the Tesla infrastructure (supercharging). Nothing more. The look and the amenities are still completely unknown (to us), and since he's previously gone on record saying that it will not look like just a smaller Model S (and he knew then roughly what it would look like), I expect a different overall design from the S.

I enjoy hearing what Elon Musk has to say in general, and I'm always thrilled to hear him speak of the Model 3, but we're not hearing anything new here, just confirmation that it's still on track.

I expect the Model 3 will have all software features the S and X have. That's gimme technology. It costs Tesla virtually nothing to include all those features in every car as long as the displays and central computer horsepower are there, which is also likely. The only other thing for Google Maps and other navigation software is a GPS module which costs almost nothing these days.

It's an excellent bet Tesla will include from previous cars anything that costs little or nothing to include. Supercharging may not be included in the base model, but most Model 3s will have it. Supercharging may incur fees for the Model 3, which would be one way for Tesla to keep the distinction between the premium S/X and the cheaper 3.

malcolm

Nov 12, 2006
So.....keeping things weird.....

You could take the partial rear wheel covers from this:

Tesla-Current-Concept-02.jpg

And incorporate them into a rear doors for this:

mazda_Ryuga_concept_DV_07_DAS_015.jpg

Obviously none of the doors have to go falcon (thankfully) but the rear ones could just have a panel that extends partially over the rear wheels. To change a tire or remove compacted snow from the wheel arch, just open the door a bit.

Just the tiny snag that it could make the rear doors as long as, if not longer than the front.

...and that part of the rear door would get filthy quite quickly.

...and it would probably funnel rear tire noise through the door seal and into the back of the car quite effectively.

...quite possibly for minimal aerodynamic benefit.

Hmmmm.

Last edited:

Agreed that the 3 will almost certainly not be an 80% sized clone of the S, but I do believe this means there's a good chance we can expect some kind of sleek 4 door hatchback. As for details I'm trusting Franz won't let us down.

I expect the Model 3 will have all software features the S and X have. That's gimme technology. It costs Tesla virtually nothing to include all those features in every car as long as the displays and central computer horsepower are there, which is also likely. The only other thing for Google Maps and other navigation software is a GPS module which costs almost nothing these days.

It's an excellent bet Tesla will include from previous cars anything that costs little or nothing to include. Supercharging may not be included in the base model, but most Model 3s will have it. Supercharging may incur fees for the Model 3, which would be one way for Tesla to keep the distinction between the premium S/X and the cheaper 3.

Completely agree with this. Much of what we considered luxury-class-only tech just a few years ago - power windows, electrically assisted steering, full media connectivity, backup cams, Nav screens, etc. - is now either standard or available at a reasonable price on just about every car in the $30K to $40K bracket.
As for Supercharging. I have a strong feeling this will be extra-cost. Think of the incredible amount of investment the network is going to require to support an additional 500,000 Teslas being put on the road every year once production is fully ramped up in 2020. It will need to grow orders of magnitude if we're to avoid gas-crisis style lineups at the chargers. That's not going to be cheap, and I doubt their going to have enough margin in a base M3 to support it. So I think there will have to be an option cost to it. The only other way out would be a user-pay system, and I've read elsewhere here things get complicated fast when you want to start "reselling" electricity.

Except that Tesla pays fees for that software. I wouldn't be surprised if they pay a per car fee to Navigon. Also, options aren't generally about what they cost the company, more about what they can make from the customer. The margins on the 35K base model could be razor thin, and they need to generate profit somehow.

Twiglett

Single pedal driver
Oct 3, 2014
Austin
I think many folks are taking Elon's "smaller version of Model S" at face value.
Put into context with his other comments about not commenting on looks etc, all he really saying was that the Model 3 will be a full EV with 4 doors and a tailgate like the Model S but smaller and without lots of the bells and whistles.
Definition of bells & whistles = non-essential features or accessories
Therefore, all of the following is on the options list:
- fancy wheels
- bigger than needed battery
- AP - but collision warning may be there
- pano-roof
- Nav - but maybe google maps
- auto-presenting doors - or door handles
- Supercharging
- AWD
- medical filtration
- etc etc

Dec 22, 2014
UK
I think many folks are taking Elon's "smaller version of Model S" at face value.
Put into context with his other comments about not commenting on looks etc, all he really saying was that the Model 3 will be a full EV with 4 doors and a tailgate like the Model S but smaller and without lots of the bells and whistles.
Definition of bells & whistles = non-essential features or accessories
Therefore, all of the following is on the options list:
- fancy wheels
- bigger than needed battery
- AP - but collision warning may be there
- pano-roof
- Nav - but maybe google maps
- auto-presenting doors - or door handles
- Supercharging
- AWD
- medical filtration
- etc etc

I think the Nav and supercharging will be standard only because it is so much of what is part of the Tesla brand compared to the other EVs.

On another note I didn't think you got Twiglets in the US. :biggrin:

I think the Nav and supercharging will be standard only because it is so much of what is part of the Tesla brand compared to the other EVs.

On another note I didn't think you got Twiglets in the US. :biggrin:
I'm thinking supercharging will be at least a $1000 option (it was a $2000 option on the S) and navigation will not be included in the base model, but as always, we don't know ****.

I'm thinking supercharging will be at least a $1000 option (it was a $2000 option on the S) and navigation will not be included in the base model, but as always, we don't know ****.

Aren't there still some 60s and 40s out there without supercharger access? Why would the econo car have it if they don't? Will they get grandfathered in? Wouldn't those 60 owners that paid 2 grand for it go crazy if that happened?

I don't see a scenario where they get access without a charge.

How about a yearly charge? If you want to use them, a one time payment for the calendar year. Say $200 per year and that way Tesla doesn't have to screw around with usage collection at the charger. If you were going on a far away vacation you just pay for access.

Why do people keep insisting Supercharging for the M3 isn't going to be free? Elon has said it will be free and it's no longer a purchasable option on the MS or MX.

Why do people keep insisting Supercharging for the M3 isn't going to be free? Elon has said it will be free and it's no longer a purchasable option on the MS or MX.
When did he say that? Model S owners are having trouble at some superchargers getting charged because of lines. Imagine the problems once these Model 3's start rolling out.

Yes, I get model s and x owners getting free access because they are paying
70k+ for their car.

Last edited:

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
When did he say that? Model S owners are having trouble at some superchargers getting charged because of lines. Imagine the problems once these Model 3's start rolling out.

70k+ for their car.

By then the supercharger network should triple in size, assuming constant growth.

It won't be perfect, but it won't be catastrophic like some people on TMC assume.

aronth5

Long Time Follower
Supporting Member
May 8, 2010
Boston Suburb

70k+ for their car.

Agree.
It costs money for Tesla to build out the Supercharger infrastructure, maintain it and pay for the electricity. Model X and Model S customers are paying to use Superchargers it is just buried in the price of their car.
It doesn't seem realistic that Tesla can make enough of a profit on the Model 3 with the same approach. Either charge more for the base Model 3 or include Supercharging as an option. My bet is on the latter.

Yes but Tesla will need to work to limit demand for superchargers. If Tesla meets it sales plans they will have 200 times as many cars on the roads in the US within 10 years. Some routes in California are having wait problems with 20 supercharges. That would mean that there would need to be 4000 superchargers along one highway just to meet demand (probably more as higher volume gives higher random variables). This is just not practical. Paying per charge doesn't help either as it won't limit supply during peak demand times.

I expect supercharging to be at least a $2000 extra.

Yes but Tesla will need to work to limit demand for superchargers. If Tesla meets it sales plans they will have 200 times as many cars on the roads in the US within 10 years. Some routes in California are having wait problems with 20 supercharges. That would mean that there would need to be 4000 superchargers along one highway just to meet demand (probably more as higher volume gives higher random variables). This is just not practical. Paying per charge doesn't help either as it won't limit supply during peak demand times.

I expect supercharging to be at least a $2000 extra.
Exactly, I just hope it's not that much. I'm hoping for a 1k extra charge. But as of now, we don't know ****.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC