Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this image posted on LinkedIn. Looks legitimate and has noticeable differences from Model S - front bumper. Could this be it?

No, its the alpha prototype of the S.

Although I must say I wouldn't be mad if they ended up using that as the 3. Its quite sexy, maybe even a bit more so than the S. I wonder why they went with something different in the end. It looks a bit "Jaguar-y" so maybe thats why they changed the hood design.

I am really excited to see how they pull this off.
Cutting cost in half
making it look attractive
drag coefficient < .20
compete with a BMW 3 or Audi A4

One concern for me at moment is, what if the initial production run doesn't have sensors built in for future for full autonomous driving.

Last edited:
I am really excited to see how they pull this off.
Cutting cost in half
making it look attractive
drag coefficient < .20
compete with a BMW 3 or Audi A4

One concern for me at moment is, what if the initial production run doesn't have sensors built in for future for full autonomous driving.

Maybe the sensors are "next generation technology" that we've been told to expect?

Interesting reading ... Analyst Note: New Details On Tesla Model 3

Trip Chowdhry of Global Equities Research recently put out a note on the Tesla Model 3. With the car’s unveiling scheduled for the end of this month. Chowdhry’s timing is perfect. As Benzinga writes, Chowdhry has some knowledge of Tesla’s inner workings that the vast majority of us are not aware of:
“The official unveiling will be March 31, 2016, in Hawthorn, California, and according to recent research Chowdhry gathered after attending numerous Deep Learning Hackathons, the Autonomous Driving Symposium, the Material Science Symposium and the Battery Technology Summit, production and deliveries for the Model 3 are likely to be on schedule.”

Well, on schedule is still a bit of a stretch here as the Model 3 was initially promised awhile back, but the “delivery by 2017” that’s been promised by Musk and Tesla of late is still apparently doable. Benzinga adds:
“Chowdhry explained two elements of the Model 3 that are unique and support the timeline for vehicle delivery by 2017: The vehicle architecture and composition.”
“Vehicle Architecture: Chowdhry stated that the Model 3 will have “completely different vehicle architecture – both the chassis and the battery chemistry – hence will have different power density and energy density trade off.”
“Vehicle Composition: Unlike the Model X and Model S, the Model 3 body and chassis will be completely built of steel as opposed to aluminum. Chowdhry highlighted the key advantages of steel over aluminum as being the lower production equipment costs, the lower worker training/skill needed to work/operate steel, the lower compensation and cost savings of steel workers versus aluminum workers, and the lower repair costs.”

We’re still not sold on the “built of steel” claim but we shall find out soon enough.
Chowdhry concluded:
“Since Tesla Model 3 will be built using steel instead of aluminum, the production and deliveries for late 2017 will very likely be on schedule: steel is a lot easy [sic].”

different power density and energy density trade off
I read this as the 3 won't be able to draw power from its batteries as fast as the S/X, but will store more kwh/pound then then S/X. This makes sense, giving more range/$ and providing a performance differentiation between the 3 and the more expensive S/X.

completely built of steel as opposed to aluminum

As long as the range and efficiency are good I like this possibility. Lower insurance bills, easier repairs, lower cost to build.

2016-Tesla-Model-S-concept.jpg
:biggrin:

Is anybody else really, REALLY tired of seeing the prototypes of the Model S showing up on the Model 3 renderings post? Or any of the Model 3 posts? Please, please, please, somebody write a program that deletes this picture from the Internet!!!

Somebody needs to do a new render. Then maybe it will get picked up by all the news outlets.
I would make one, but my Model 3 in MS Paint isn't too spectacular...

Is anybody else really, REALLY tired of seeing the prototypes of the Model S showing up on the Model 3 renderings post? Or any of the Model 3 posts? Please, please, please, somebody write a program that deletes this picture from the Internet!!!
Frankly, I'm tired of seeing anything that isn't the real car. At least we only have 3 weeks before all theses fake 3 pictures go away for good.

It'll get even more interesting when the Maximum Plaid Roadster will be under development. "Look at this red 4 door car, it's the next roadster. I don't understand though, they promised a 2 door conertible with Maximum Plaid"

I read this as the 3 won't be able to draw power from its batteries as fast as the S/X, but will store more kwh/pound then then S/X. This makes sense, giving more range/$ and providing a performance differentiation between the 3 and the more expensive S/X.

If you were to make a chart about Battery Physics, Power Density and Energy Density would be your X & Y axis. As the Power Density goes up, Energy Density goes down. It does pose the possibility that the battery may have more energy and less power than the current Model S Batteries have (or vice versa); if it does have more energy and less power, then we will see a battery with a longer driving range.

However, due to all of the things that we don't know with certainty (like the vehicle weight, CD, CDA, tires, etc) there is no way for any of us to make an educated assessment of the Model 3's actual Power.

Since we all like to compare stuff...
BMW 7 (base): 3.0L - 315 hp - 330 torque - 23 combined mpg - 21.1gal - 0-60 4.4 seconds
BMW 3 (base): 2.0L - 180 hp - 200 torque - 28 combined mpg - 15.8gal - 0-60 5.2 seconds

If Tesla mimics BMW's model comparisons...
Model S (base): 382 hp - 325 torque - 230 miles range - 70 KWH - 0-60 5.5 seconds
Model 3 (base): 218 hp - 197 torque - 280 miles range - 52 KWH - 0-60 6.5 seconds

This is all pure speculation, obviously, and it is just an apples to apples comparison. Check my math, please.