Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking through the pictures in this thread, I think people are going to be very disappointed when the Model 3 is revealed if it looks more like this, than those on the preceding pages...

View attachment 105290

If they do make it look more like the ones in the pictures in this thread, they are going to lose a lot of Model S orders and somehow I don't think that's the plan. (But please make it look better than this!)

I can't see Elon ever making something this hideous, but especially not for the model 3, which must have mass appeal to the 3 series buyer. If I'm wrong and the model 3 is revealed to look something like that I'll immediately liquidate all my TSLA holdings and hope they can survive as a niche carmaker, because that thing isn't displacing the 3 series anytime soon.

The point of what makes the 3 different is that Tesla are taking what they have already learned with Roadster, S & X and applying it to a less expensive car.
ALL of the other manufacturers are more concerned with how their EV competes with the rest of their range and where they will lose sales.
GM and the others can't afford to make a mid sized EV because they think everyone wants an econobox.
You can see it in the Bolt - its a Sonic sized car but it costs 35K

I can't see Elon ever making something this hideous,...

Me either. I came across it and thought it belonged in this thread to shake things up a bit after seeing the pictures of what looked like a shrunken Model S. I don't think we'll see that either. Apparently, it will be nothing like we've ever seen before...

"[The Model 3] will be way different from any other car on the road," says Musk. But, "in a way that's really useful and just doesn't feel like a weird-mobile."

​Elon Musk Says Tesla Model 3 Will Cost $35,000 Before Incentives

The suspense is killing me!

Me either. I came across it and thought it belonged in this thread to shake things up a bit after seeing the pictures of what looked like a shrunken Model S. I don't think we'll see that either. Apparently, it will be nothing like we've ever seen before...

"[The Model 3] will be way different from any other car on the road," says Musk. But, "in a way that's really useful and just doesn't feel like a weird-mobile."

What makes me nervous is he says "doesn't feel like a weird-mobile" not that it won't look like a weird-mobile.

Looking through the pictures in this thread, I think people are going to be very disappointed when the Model 3 is revealed if it looks more like this, than those on the preceding pages...

View attachment 105290

If they do make it look more like the ones in the pictures in this thread, they are going to lose a lot of Model S orders and somehow I don't think that's the plan. (But please make it look better than this!)

It's ridiculous. I can't see how a car company could try compete BMW 3-series with that piece of junk. A 3-series potencial customer will never consider this. NO WAY.

Tesla wants to sell 500.000 cars with a revolutionary and "cheap" sedan, and the car have to look really good. They want to sell a 3-series alternative, not a Nesspresso.

What makes me nervous is he says "doesn't feel like a weird-mobile" not that it won't look like a weird-mobile.

Long time lurker on the forums, first post here.

I think it's important to consider the timeline of Elon's comments regarding the Model 3 design/styling. And please, correct me if I'm wrong:

January 6, 2015 - Elon's Reddit Q&A -
Someone asked if Elon could provide any information about the Model 3 and Elon said "it wont look like other cars."

January 13, 2015 - Automotive News World Congress in Detroit -
Elon said, "[The Model 3] will be way different from any other car on the road, but in a way that's really useful and just doesn't feel like a weird-mobile."

***I cannot find the video at the moment, but I recall an interview where Elon talks about Tesla being undecided as to whether the Model 3 should be adventurous (as Elon stayed in the above interviews) or more of a familiar design to prevent delays, but I can't find the video..

February 11, 2015 - 4th Quarter Earnings Call (43:52 minute mark) -
Elon went on to describe how the FWDs and second row seats caused the Model X to be delayed, but "with the Model 3, we want to have a super high volume... It would make more sense to sort of go with something we know people are gonna love.. We know that's going to be incredibly beautiful and functional and an amazing car and... innovate on that platform with future innovations where we can put aside any schedule or volume constraints."

From this point forward, I have not heard Elon or Tesla say that the Model 3 will look different from other cars or walk the line of the weird-mobile. Based on the above info, my best guess is the Model 3 will be a sedan (hatchback like Model S), but have more aggressive design elements. It won't be as simple as a shrunken down S, but it won't be a weird-mobile. Tesla has too much riding on the Model 3 to gamble the future of the company and its mission.

There has been speculation that the Model 3 will be launched in two versions: hatchback sedan and CUV style, like the S and the X versions.
At this point that is only speculation that the 3 will launch in two versions, though there is evidence that a Model 3 CUV will be offered at some point: maybe simultaneously with the 3 sedan, maybe a bit later. We don't know what name Tesla will attach to that version.

There has been speculation that the Model 3 will be launched in two versions: hatchback sedan and CUV style, like the S and the X versions.
At this point that is only speculation that the 3 will launch in two versions, though there is evidence that a Model 3 CUV will be offered at some point: maybe simultaneously with the 3 sedan, maybe a bit later. We don't know what name Tesla will attach to that version.
We don't know sheet.

+1

To be fair, we have had a few mixed messages from Elon. There was the one which you quote and then there's this from September:

Elon Musk on Twitter:

So, given that the vast majority (if not all) of members of this forum love the Model S it isn't terribly surprising that this thread has turned into a sedan design echo-chamber.

People tend to want more of the familiar/what they love.

I just don't think Tesla can afford to produce more of the same for the next five years. Particularly since other manufacturers will be bringing out their own electric sedans in the same time frame.

So if you want an electric sedan to look like something from BMW or Audi don't worry. They'll be making one for you soon enough. If you'd rather have something that's a bit different "from any other car on the road", the Model 3 Tesla will be available as well.

BTW - list of Drag Coefficients for various vehicles. Tesla isn't listed but the Roadster Cd is 0.36 and Model S is 0.24

Vehicle Coefficient of Drag List - EcoModder

Last edited:
More non-sedan shape ideas - bertone nuccio

2012-bertone-nuccio-one-o_600x0w.jpg

Cd for this one is probably around 0.3

Apparently Bertone did design some sub-0.2 Cd cars for Alfa Romeo back in the fifties, and yes, they do look odd.

BAT Facts: Understanding the extraordinary Bertone-bodied Alfa Romeos of the 1950s | Classic Driver Magazine

Last edited:
+1

To be fair, we have had a few mixed messages from Elon. There was the one which you quote and then there's this from September:

Elon Musk on Twitter:

So, given that the vast majority (if not all) of members of this forum love the Model S it isn't terribly surprising that this thread has turned into a sedan design echo-chamber.

People tend to want more of the familiar/what they love.

I just don't think Tesla can afford to produce more of the same for the next five years. Particularly since other manufacturers will be bringing out their own electric sedans in the same time frame.

So if you want an electric sedan to look like something from BMW or Audi don't worry. They'll be making one for you soon enough. If you'd rather have something that's a bit different "from any other car on the road", the Model 3 Tesla will be available as well.

BTW - list of Drag Coefficients for various vehicles. Tesla isn't listed but the Roadster Cd is 0.36 and Model S is 0.24

Vehicle Coefficient of Drag List - EcoModder

So if everybody wants a cheaper model S and no other company should offer a cheap electric sedan for the next 2-3 years (at least)... the best thing Tesla could offer is something different. Something that people don't want to buy because Tesla don't want to sell cars... that's Audi thing.

.... because Tesla don't want to sell cars... that's Audi thing.

I admit that the delay of the X due to the Falcon doors might lead you to that conclusion :).

It does seem to the casual observer that Elon is always trying to push the engineering envelope at the expense of delivery dates.

However, I am expecting that the 3 will be as compelling as the S in terms of its functionality. I just don't think it's going to look like (a smaller version of) the S.

- - - Updated - - -

That car looks like it got scalped.

But on the plus side, != sedan

I admit that the delay of the X due to the Falcon doors might lead you to that conclusion :).

It does seem to the casual observer that Elon is always trying to push the engineering envelope at the expense of delivery dates.

However, I am expecting that the 3 will be as compelling as the S in terms of its functionality. I just don't think it's going to look like (a smaller version of) the S.
It won't be a smaller version of the S, but that doesn't mean it won't be a sedan-like hatchback like the S. I think the chance is very slim that the body style will not be similar to a sedan. It's the best selling segment and I don't see how Tesla will sell 500k Model 3 per year without a sedan body-style (to clarify this is inclusive of the Model S which is a hatchback with a sedan body-style).

All the examples posted recently are weird-mobiles which Elon already said he won't be making.

Which leaves us all a bit stuck for predictions. On the one hand we have posts like this:

Musk: I really want the Model III to be different, not just a smaller Model S (video)

And this:

Model 3 won't look like other cars

Yet this thread seems to reveal that "similar to a sedan" just isn't good enough. People seem to want a sedan. Period. And they struggle to visualise features borrowed from different car variants and concepts.

And I admit to similar difficulties - large panoramic windshields do give a "receding hairline" look to a vehicle - like the nuccio above.

Maybe I'm just posting the wrong sort of images - maybe I should try more stylized images like this:

8306989881_7c9a4d46a1_b.jpg

something which suggests a possible form or line - rather than anything too specific.

Which leaves us all a bit stuck for predictions. On the one hand we have posts like this:

Musk: I really want the Model III to be different, not just a smaller Model S (video)

And this:

Model 3 won't look like other cars

Yet this thread seems to reveal that "similar to a sedan" just isn't good enough. People seem to want a sedan. Period. And they struggle to visualise features borrowed from different car variants and concepts.

And I admit to similar difficulties - large panoramic windshields do give a "receding hairline" look to a vehicle - like the nuccio above.

Maybe I'm just posting the wrong sort of images - maybe I should try more stylized images like this:

something which suggests a possible form or line - rather than anything too specific.
Look at the dates on those, that is from January.

However, in later comments, he said that the first iteration of the Model 3 will not be too adventurous in order to keep the car on time. He has openly said that they tried too much on the Model X (which is why it was so late) and that Tesla won't be making the same mistake again.
http://jalopnik.com/musk-hints-at-more-adventurous-versions-of-the-model-3-1685315047

Another person already pointed out that Elon's recent comments were pretty clear that the Model 3 will be a sedan. Even from your own post, he said "sedan" specifically in the twitter post from September you linked:
"Model 3, our smaller and lower cost sedan will start production in about 2 years. Fully operational Gigafactory needed."